Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Greek Myth books

Author Topic: Greek Myth books
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of any novels that are a reworking of greek myths?

I loved the film Clash of the Titans & wonder if there's anything similar in print?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
There's one that actually combines Arthur's Merlin with Jason and the Argonauts. Dies that count?

I can't remember the title or the author's name, but I DO know the author is one of hoptoads favorites. He'd know the book to which I refer.

Good book.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Till We Have Faces, C S Lewis (Cupid & Psyche). Stunningly good; sad.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Benskia, there are a number of reworkings of Greek myths out there. Is there any myth in particular you're interested in?

I'm kind of on a Theseus/Minotaur kick, so I read The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break, and I have Mary Renault's books on my To Read list. There's a book called Labyrinth that came out in the last year or so that's also in that territory. There are more but I'd have to dig into my notes to find them.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Hi Beth.

A few years ago I had this sudden interest in reading some of the classic 'myths' that I felt that I should have known more about. I got a couple of books that told the usual greek stories and remember taking a look at 1001 Arabian Nights (which is very rude by the way).

The 500 word flash challenge inspired me to do a Minotaur story & this has rekindled my interest in the greek stories & fascination with their gods.

I wondered whether any of these had been turned into novels (they dont have to be strict retellings).

It also makes me wonder if there may be an unexplored niche here. Maybe I could add this to my list of books to write in the future dream.

benskia
Member # 2422

DJ.

I think I've tried to read a book just like the one you mentioned. I forgot about it until you described it though.

I didn't enjoy it though & dont think I ever finished it.

If I remember correctly, Jason's boat - the Argonaut was dying & it had something to do with it's soul being held in some special wood in the ship. Does it sound like the same one? I couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I ought to search it out again.

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a book, but the movie "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" is based on "The Odyssey."

I think the adaptation is brilliant-- those crazy Coen brothers at their best!

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to the project I mentioned to you. Managed to remember where I'd read it and dig up an online copy. Not quite sure how the Odyssey from Penelope's perspective is going to work but it should be interesting to find out.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1521794,00.html

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "Till We Have Faces"! C.S. Lewis is awesome!

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited July 13, 2005).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the recent Hatrack Re-Write Challenges focused on Laocoon (sp?) and the Trojan Horse story.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum5/HTML/000025.html

If you want a nice short, you could try e-mailing for one of those, too.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.