Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Meaningful feedback

Author Topic: Meaningful feedback
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, newbie here.

Part of the reason I wound up on this site is related to my quest for meaningful feedback on my developing writing skills (I'm still well withing my first million words, for those who've read OSC's book on writing).

To this end I've tried taking a couple inexpensive online writing courses and have been disappointed. In one case all the feedback was happy and full of superlatives (I believe I have some undeveloped ability, but I'm not that good--yet), in another it was all about conforming to a set of style rules the instructor believes in (expunge passive wording, only certain types of dialogue tags, etc.).

Aside from (hopefully) this site, what else have all of you found for good sources of truly constructive criticism?

Sometime this weekend I'll toss 13 lines of something up on the forum for such things and see what happens, and check out what others have put up.

Any advice for making the best use of this site, and what I can do to best help others on the site?

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the type of post that would normally have been made in the introductions board.

Welcome to Hatrack though.

As for you questions, I think you'll find that we take our critiquing very seriously around here. As for guidelines on how to do it, I'll let some of the professionals handle that.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing is for sure, the feedback you get here will be honest.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had difficulties finding good, honest feedback myself. The absolute worst, because it is the least useful, is the pat on the back variety. I've taken classes at an on-line place (Writer's Village) where this seems to be the case. I recently began a nvoel critiquing session there. I gave thorough and honest feedback to two participants so far, and in return I haven't received much of any use at all..."This is good." "I liked that."

The feedback is fairly good around here, but what you have to understand about those who want you to conform to their own stylistic preferences is that you're not going to get away from that. The trick is to take what you can use and ignore the rest. As long as they're giving you an honest opinion, the critique can be useful if you know how to read it and react to it.

You should avoid passive phrasing, for example. The reason is that this can be boring for the reader. That's why I like Card's wise reader approach. Instead of saying, "Your wording here is passive, you should change it." I might say, "I was bored reading this passage. I think it may have something to do with the wording, because there is enough going on in the scene that I should be interested. Perhaps you might consider a more active turn of phrase?"

But even if they say it the first way, you've got to be able to backtrack and figure out if they're harping on about a pet peeve (see the pet peeve topic...misspelled, of course ) or is it actually a problem, something that has caused them boredom, disinterest, or disbelief?

There are two ways of knowing:
1. Many people tell you the same or very similar things.
2. Their advice resonates with you and what you are trying to accomlish.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aside from (hopefully) this site, what else have all of you found for good sources of truly constructive criticism?

Scrawl, if you can 1) get them interested in your writing (they tend to sneer a bit at 'genre' writing, more fools they), and 2) you can put up with their gleeful encouragement of obscenities, and 3) if you can ignore the 90% of the site dedicated to flame wars and posturing.

http://www.stwa.net/scrawl/index.php

Notebored, but many of them there are also here.

http://rittinger.admiralxp.com/index.php

Critters is a bit of a crapshoot on the quality of feedback, and they are pretty tight about their critiquing X for Y policies.

http://www.critters.org/

Your best bet (only IMO, of course) is to develop the relationships here to get into a really tough critiquing group.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.