Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Word Printout -- Dialog not spanning pages

Author Topic: Word Printout -- Dialog not spanning pages
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I printed off my short story in Word. On the bottom of page 12 there are room for two lines, but Word won't fill it. It seems the first 3 lines on page 13 are dialog, so it doesn't want to half dialog across pages.

Is this a problem when sending a manuscript out? Or is there a way to deal with this?

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
You may have the option for orphaned lines turned on. Basically, it won't leave a single line of a paragraph by itself at the top or bottom of a page.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
To turn the widow/orphan control off, go to the Format menu, select paragraph, and go to the "Line and Page Breaks" tab.

Make sure nothing is check marked.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. That got rid of those pesky oprhans! No wait, I guess it did the opposite...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.