Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Scifi or Fantasy? A Standoff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scifi or Fantasy? A Standoff
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a position. I'm standing firm. I like science fiction better than I like fantasy.

This took me many years to realize for a number of reasons. First, I write fantasy! Well, I don't write that medieval-like crap they call fantasy. I write contemporary fantasy, whre magic is a part of this world, hidden or untapped. But let's face is. When you go to the bookstore and you peruse fantasy, you don't get much of that. You get "The brave knight sets forth on an heroic journey to fetch the magical talisman of blitz from the Evil Mage. He is joined by a thief, a wizard, and a horse that will inevitably die partway into the journey."

Science fiction, on the other hand, is diverse in its plots, methods, and madness. When I pick up a science fiction story I might even learn something. I definitely won't have preconceived notions about what will happen and how it wil end.

I'm just about done (thank God!) with the first of a trilogy by David Eddings: The DIamond Throne. The book was written for little boys. That's all there is to it. There's no depth, no substance, very weak characterization, pathetic and predictable conflict that is highly linear. How do they sell this stuff to adults? (That's the last time I take a book recommendation from this particular friend...grrrrrrr)

I don't care what fantasy *could* be anymore. It isn't that way and what it is I don't like. If I want my strange and unusual, I'm going to head for the scifi shelf.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, I'm sad to say it because I love fantasy. But Science Fiction is where all the interesting things are happening right now. I think the problem is right now too many people are sticking to Tolkein. (I myself am writing an Orcs vs. Elves story at the moment, well not this moment at this moment I'm posting on Hatrack but you know what I meant.)
Personally I think we need to start working with other mythologies than western european. I want a Russian adventure. Or Samoan. Or Antartican.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Well in my book fantasy is more enjoyable than sci fi when push comes to shove. I could go on to make all the comments about laser guns and star fleet battle cruisers and aliens that you do about knights and quests and theives and dragons and the like. But actually, I think both genres have merit, and aren't very different. David and Leigh Eddings' books are intended (I believe) to be fun adventure stories. If you looking for heavy literary intellectualism, you won't find it from those two.

Since most of the universe we are aware of is completely inhospitable for humans, sci fi tends to make me feel claustrophobic and desolate. Gagetry sci-fi is too close to what I do for a living, so it's either boring (to me), or too scary knowing how close we are to some of it. But, a good story is a good story, regardless of the trappings.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Your watching too much Hollywood SF if you think that. Go read Greg Bear's "Heads" if you want a good example of the diversity of SF.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer fantasy, simply because of the two RR's: Tolkien and Martin. I can sit down and read books similar to those for hours on end, while I struggle to get immersed in SF books because it's hard for me to visualize and understand a lot of the science in them. Jack Vance, Heinlein, Asimov.. none of them do it for me, and neither has James Alan Gardner's Expendable book.

Medieval fantasy is simple, requires little deciphering as far as the physics of the universe goes. I have also tried reading some urban fantasy, namely The Last Hot Time by John M. Ford, and I struggle through those for some reason.

I also like playing medieval fantasy CRPG's much more than modern or SF ones for some reason. I'm probably just in love with the history of medeival Europe. So I'll continue to buy/read books of the sort, fantasy or not. :>

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I don't know why you'd think I'd enjoy "literary" works because I don't like stories I find overly simplistic and shallow. Literary does not add depth. It usually just adds words.

And you could say all the same things about laser guns and green aliens for scifi as I've said for medieval fantasy, but here's the thing: CLiche is mainstream in fantasy. Those scifi cliches you mentioned are laughed at now by serious scifi lovers. If you get claustrophobic in science fiction, then you clearly have not read enough of it to understand the broad depths it can go. It does not even stay in *this* universe! Alternate realities have been a part of science fiction for years and, IMHO, provided an interesting inlet into the Witch World series (which I have only read the first of), which is a blurred fantasy because of that science fiction inlet.

Aliens and laser guns? How about mutations, psychic phenomenon, the exploration of the universe that is far more diverse than any fantasy landscape I've ever seen, colonization, medicine, time travel, cloning, science used in evil ways to hurt manking, science used in ways that is supposed to help manking and hurts them...themes that go to human nature, what might be, what is, mistakes, successes, triumphs, etc. And these just scratch the surface.

OF course, fantasy has great potential too. I've often asked, "In a genre where anything can happen, how come so little does?" But my observations are based on the current state of the genres. Fantasy has little to offer.

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman,

My point was that both genres have their stock-cliche, elements. Broad brush painting the entire genre based on it's formulatic representatives is unfair to a lot of good writers and books, both ways.

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

Okay, time for me to bow out of this one. My team's better than your team debates usually wind up unpleasant. Truly, I hope you find what you're looking for.
Christine
Member # 1646

Yikes, dee! I'm quite sure I never said anything remotely like that. I stated an opinion and backed it up with examples. That is mature debate. Please, feel free to respond with equivolent mature debate.
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself prefer fantasy and always have. I've never really been interested in all the cool stuff you can do with technology and what-not. I'm indifferent when it comes to alien races, other planets, and the "fascinating" things science can do. I just don't really care much for it. And, yes, I do find that I like the "medieval-like crap they call fantasy." I'll admit that I haven't seen anything good in a while, but that doesn't stop me from liking the genre. In fact, it is because there hasn't been anything good out in a while that I write in that genre. I'm hoping maybe I can help to change that.

You know, I don't think people really are sticking all that much to Tolkien. He created a complex world with powerful themes whereas those who attempt to imitate him only end up creating shallow worlds and plots. They're poor imitations. I don't think anybody's come all that close to writing a story like his. At the same time, however, I believe that it's very difficult to come up with a brand new way of writing medieval fantasy. He set a standard with his books that's very hard to break away from. I've been trying for years to think of a different formula and it's not been easy. All I've managed to come up with is an Arabian-like setting rather than a medieval Europe setting, and different races besides the usual Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves, but the story itself seems to still follow a similar formula. It's hard to get away from! I'm going to keep trying, though.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Shendülféa: good luck! I agree about the poor imitations of Tolkien, btw.

One thing I decided to try when I was a teenager to make my world different was to set it on another planet instead of a fantasy kingdom. Yes, this introduces elements of scifi but so what? If, like me, it's the magic that you like it can happen on another planet as easily as a made up world.

Sticking to the other-world, though, it might be interesting to write about a totally divergent culture. Instead of a feudalish system with peasants and lords, why not a clan? or a tribe? I think it would be really neat to do some research on ancient African history and tribal traditions and write something based on that. It's so rich already -- and if you set it in another world and diverge from it a bit you can't be wrong.

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main reason the fantasy sub-genre is so full of imitations is because there have been several wildly popular authors to imitate. There are probably approximately the same number of good fantasy books as good scifi, but in fantasy the percentage is smaller. Especially since in scifi a lot of the derivative works are set in known universes (Star Wars, Star Trek) and can thus be lumped together and easily avoided. Just imagine if all the people who wrote those series books developed their own worlds instead. Then the imitations would be mixed in with everything else, making the good stuff harder to find. That is the situation in fantasy at the moment.

Personally, I like good speculative fiction, whether it is fantasy or scifi. However, I generally find that really good fantasy does more for me than really good scifi, which is why I'm striving to write really good fantasy.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I agree with dee that "my team is better than your team" is not a productive conversation to have. But I don't think that's what Christine's saying - I think she's saying that "current mainstream fantasy is overwhelmed by crappy cliches, while current mainstream SF is exploring new and interesting ground," which is a very different hypothesis.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the barriers between them two got knocked down a long time ago...

I seem to be in the minority at home in either science fiction or fantasy, enraptured equally by either Illium or Runelords, Parable of the Sower or Elantris, Alvin or Ender...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
cklabyrinth, for the record, I dislike fantasy for the very reason that you like it. I am tired of the same old white European swords and knights and tyrants and sorcerers. It's been done so much that the quality of the story doesn't matter, the setting poisons it for me.

I hate comfort zones. I want something fresh and new every day. I prefer something that disturbs my sense of right and wrong. I want a story that challenges my identity as a human.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
What is science fiction, that thou art mindful of him?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
A good example of scifi fantasy mix, and it teaches about different forms of goverment, Christopher Stasheff. The first book of the series was Escape Velocity and was purely scifi. After that, the series was a mix of both genres.
I do like light scifi, but I can't get into the technically oriented scifi. As much of a geek as I can be, I do have my limits. Primarily I read fantasy and I want to write fantasy. Maybe horror...

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Sci-fi crossed into the "bounderies" of fantasy more often than not, and those who believe they hate fantasy don't blink an eye.

For instance, Eon, Eternity, and Legacy, by Greg Bear. Though he's purported to be hard sci-fi, there are some fantastic magic going on.

Or even the Rendezvous With Rama series, at the end who do we learn is responsible for sending massive cylinders into our solor system? God.

Of course, apart from fiction, when the mysteries of quantum mechanics are looked at, and how they may be responsible for the mechanisms that cause free will, conciousness, and the barrier between life and non-life, there are some amazing goosebump-causing mysteries left to ponder.

How does an atom go through two slits at once? Magic, for all I know...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited August 12, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid there are a lot of fantasy novels that make me cringed -- bits of pseudo-mideval rambling that read like a game of Dungeons and Dragons. But that isn't the entierty of the Fantasy genre. That would be like saying Star Trek is a good example of what all science fiction is like. Perhaps part of the problem is also that, because it's fantasy and made-up, some authors don't take time to check facts and make it real. I'll never forget the time a very famous author described a granite tower as being glossy black all over. Granite is speckled! Argh! Or authors who gloss over swordfighting because they don't understand the mechanics of it. Thank heavens I took fencing.

I love fantasy because it can bring me in contact with strange worlds and cultures. Fantasy fiction is largely what made me want to study archaeology (working on my degree right now). I hope my fantasy never reads like a tiresome mideval cliche. I try to work in ideas, cultures, and technology from ancient people to give my world the exciting flair I look for in fantasy books.

Oh, and for whomever was looking for a Russian fantasy book...OSC has a lovely one, called Enchantment. It was the first book of his I ever read.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m for fantasy. I’d rather cherish the unknown for it’s bizarreness, as is the case for fantasy, than tackle the unknown in order to change it.

But I am sick of all that medieval stuff, I wish there was more fantasy set in more remote and stranger regions of the world.

Shendülféa:

quote:
All I've managed to come up with is an Arabian-like setting rather than a medieval Europe setting, and different races besides the usual Elves, Orcs, and Dwarves, but the story itself seems to still follow a similar formula. It's hard to get away from! I'm going to keep trying, though.

I’m trying the same thing as well , but I know quite a bit about Arabian mythology so it wasn’t that hard to come up with parallel creatures and beings.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm going to throw a wrench into this conversation....

I'll admit that Beth summed up my feelings beautifully when she said:

quote:
I think she's saying that "current mainstream fantasy is overwhelmed by crappy cliches, while current mainstream SF is exploring new and interesting ground," which is a very different hypothesis.

Thus I do not hate fantasy nor do I reject the genre entirely. I think I am done with the medievalish stuff, but I won't swear to it.

I have simply noticed that scifi, with the confines of what could be but probably isn't, seems to have done a better job of exploring time, space, and humanity than fantasy, with no confines whatsoever.

Oh yeah, a wrench. I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few preconceived notions about what constitutes scifi.

quote:
I’d rather cherish the unknown for it’s bizarreness, as is the case for fantasy, than tackle the unknown in order to change it.

This, to me, does not seem like a fair summary of what scifi is or what it is trying to od. Granted, there has been a lot of scifi written with the intent to explore what might be and has, through circuitous means, brought about change, but I have not found most scifi to be this way. I have read much scifi that, as you say, tackles the unkonown for the sake of bizarreness. I have read much scifi that is nothing more than a question of...What if? I have read scifi that is an exploration of the human condition.

Oh yeah, the wrench...What is scifi? What is fantasy? We've had this conversation before and I don't want clinical definitions about magic vs technology and the overlap between the genres. I think we all pretty well have a handle on all of that, including the gray areas. But obviously there are preconceived notions about both genres. At their heart, something about scifi makes certain people shy away from it (both in writing and reading) and the same is true for fantasy. For those on both sides of this, what is the heart of your favoed genre? What is the heart of the other one?

Spaceman
Member # 9240

The thing to realize is that all of speculative fiction is on a spectrum. It is not discrete, it is analog. You have the Ben Bovas of the world at the Hard SF extreme, and the Tolkiens of the world at the High Fantasy extreme. Most of the rest is somewhere inbetween, whether it's urban fantasy or science fantasy. Sure there is some branching, but it doesn't get too far away from the main spectrum. As readers and writers we discover that we don't generally sit at one spot on the spectrum, we slide around and sometimes push the limits. It all can be good, and it all can be crap. That's the thing to keep in mind, especially while writing. it doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum as long as you write something original.
Vatyma
Member # 2749

quote:
This, to me, does not seem like a fair summary of what scifi is or what it is trying to od

Yeah, I guess your right, I was being pretty whimsical.

Like Spaceman has said, I think that the line drawn between scifi and fantasy is quite nebulous, and many novels cross over to the other side.

quote:
Oh yeah, the wrench...What is scifi? What is fantasy? […] At their heart, something about scifi makes certain people shy away from it (both in writing and reading) and the same is true for fantasy. For those on both sides of this, what is the heart of your favoed genre? What is the heart of the other one?

Perhaps fantasy is a tendency towards the unbelievable, blind faith for the supernatural (the serious kind at least).

By the way, has anyone here read Abarat, by Clive Barker? I think that’s an excellent example of original fantasy.

Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
Shendulfea & Vatyma --

I'm fascinated by the direction you're going, basing fantasies on Arab myths and settings. Very cool.

It's high time someone created fantasies populated by characters who don't look, act, or speak like JRRT's. Time to innovate, else fantasy will stagnate. (Some, obviously, say it has already.)

Vatyma --

I like your email account name. Do you speak Arabic?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" argument to me. It has to be REALLY intriguing sci-fi for me to read it. (OSC's stuff--especially if gets political-- grabs me!) And I see a huge amount of "cliches" in modern sci-fi, myself.

Actually, my favorite reading is the classics, anyway, and I have way too many of them to read for me to waste my time on most modern writing-- fantasy or sci-fi. (Although HP is a guilty pleasure I thoroughly enjoy! ) Sorry to say it, but there it is. And no, I'm not trying to be a snob-- just honest.

BTW, pretty much anything I write is fairy-tale type stuff. I come here because you guys are great writers, and I know I have a lot to learn from you, whether or not I read the same genre.

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like both science fiction AND fantasy. I don't feel I can compare Frank Herbert's Dune to J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings; both were epic, well written, complex, and at the time of publication, ground-breaking. It would be like comparing chocolate to beer. I enjoy both, the only thing that makes one better than the other at any given moment is the mood I'm in.

I actually like Tolkien and Herbert for the same reasons. Regardless of the millieu, I enjoy complex plots that portray multi-faceted characters. I like reading about the effect of politics and/or religion on the society. If the author can throw in a few twists that haven't already been done to death, then I'm hooked.

I DON'T like science fiction that gets consumed by the science. It becomes too dry for me. I don't care for fantasy stories where evil villains are REALLY REALLY evil, just because they love their evilness and the heros and heroines are good because they are noble. Bleah.

Neither of these are the result of genre; they are a result of questionable writing skills. It just happens that there are a lot of mediocre writers who get published.

Which gives me hope that some day I might get good enough to rise above them.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited August 13, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to like books of both types (and some stuff in between and on the fringes and so on and so forth).

I would like to point out, however, that I have often heard people (fans, writers, critics, etc) refer to something they call "lowest-common-denominator" fantasy when they discuss what they like and don't like, but I don't recall hearing anything about a similar term for science fiction.

That doesn't mean science fiction doesn't have "lowest-common-denominator" kinds of stories, it just means that there's probably some other kind of term for that kind of science fiction. And it may also mean that such science fiction doesn't appeal to enough readers for it to be published very often, where such fantasy may do well enough.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I think the lowest-common denominator "science fiction" is coming out of Hollywood, not New York.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Spaceman.
DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think the lowest-common denominator "science fiction" is coming out of Hollywood, not New York."

So that's what they calling the stuff coming out of Hollywood. I thought there was a different word for it.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

"cklabyrinth, for the record, I dislike fantasy for the very reason that you like it. I am tired of the same old white European swords and knights and tyrants and sorcerers. It's been done so much that the quality of the story doesn't matter, the setting poisons it for me.
I hate comfort zones. I want something fresh and new every day. I prefer something that disturbs my sense of right and wrong. I want a story that challenges my identity as a human."

I'll admit that I really haven't read entirely too many books--maybe about thirty or forty books which weren't class required--so maybe in a few years I'll be tired of the European-type setting for fantasy stories.

Have you read the Game of Thrones series, Doc Brown? That series, with its inherent violence, incest, and other seedy story elements tore apart my comfort zones, and I'm starting to sympathize a little with Jaime Lannister, who commits and has committed incest.

But maybe I'm just ignorant and stuff like that happens all the time in mainstream fantasy but I just have yet to read it.

I do know that I shall never read science fiction books which make me feel like an idiot for being unable to visualize and understand the scienctific parts.

Maybe someone could refer me to some good light sci-fi novels and some good non-medieval Europe cliche/stupid fantasy and I'll let you know how I enjoy those.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

There is, but you can't use that kind of language on this board.
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Spaceman, have you seen the movie Gattaca? I thought that was a superb science fiction movie. Were it a book I would read it, because I'm sure my simple mind could understand it.

If you have seen it, does your opinion differ from mine?

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to think we have the same tastes, CK. I LOVE Mr. Martin's books, and I thought Gattaca was great. For the record, I'm on the fantasy side of the fence. I'll admit, cliche is a problem, but I'm a firm believer that an old dog can learn new tricks.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Hmm, if so.. what other books and movies do you like? Heh, may need to take this to an email so as not to hijack this thread. :>
Vatyma
Member # 2749

quote:
I like your email account name. Do you speak Arabic?

As a matter of fact, yes

Warbric
Member # 2178

Excellent! Uh, I mean, mumtaz!

You could not only bring something fresh to the genre but, through letting them learn of the myths, also give readers a better understanding of the culture, the people, and their history.

Or you could just tell a ripping good yarn, and leave off exploring what your themes might have been to Lit profs for torturing their students to distraction in the future.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited August 13, 2005).]

Christine
Member # 1646

Gattaca the movie was the best bit of scifi I've seen come out of Hollywood in some time.

My husband has read the book and says it fills in some details that the movie missed/didn't have time for. (He thought it was a good movie too, but let's face it, the screen can't capture everything in a book.)

I keep meaning to put that on my reading list.

cklabyrinth: When I read what you said about not having read many books outside of class requirements...it struck a chord. I seem to recall that the first few classic fantasy books I read weren't bad. Every new generation has to experience those tired old cliches a time or two before they become tired and old. I guess I've just read enough of it now. (BTW, I hated Martin's series. My husband LOVES it for most of the reasons I hate it, but that's for another topic, I think. I won't deny that he has more depth and character than most....I just wish I liked some of them.)

The same can be said for a lot of genres. I got into romance for a while when I was in high school. (BTW, for the lurking high schoolers around here, I would NOT recommend reading about steamy sex in books....it's unrealistic in such a way that it can pose a problem when it's time for the real thing.) Anyway, those too were almost all the same. Like fantasy, though, I read a lot of them before I got fed up.

I've also read some mystery/suspense. There is more varity there than with romance, but those familiar plots get old after a while too. There are only so many ways you can cleverly disguise clues before I'm going to start noticing them.

The strange thing about science fiction is that I've been reading it longer than any other genre, have read more of it than any other genre, and still have not grown tired ot it. Oh, there are some specific plotlines that I don't want to see again. There are some authors I don't want to read again. (Ursula K. LeGuin...how the heck did she win any awards? I can't stand the way she writes!) But I keep finding stuff to engage me there if I look hard enough.

That's just my personal experience, though. If someone has some creative recommendations for me out of the fantasy genre that don't involve white European-style adventures through a fantasy landscape I'd love to hear about it. Actually, I'm sick of the epic hero's journey in general. I'm not sure you could interst me in it by setting it in the Arabian Desert instead. Maybe.

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I still hang on the fantasy side of the fence, but I definitely see what you're talking about, Christine. I've been trying to incorporate ancient cultures into my novel. I've used Egyptian elements and Hebrew and Celtic all at once. I'm not sure what other people see when they read it, but so far I've heard nothing but good, and one editor liked it enough to ask for the ms. I set it in a pre-medievil European type geographic to allow for familiarity and then used the variant cultures to draw out new elements. I feel like I haven't taken it as far as I could. I think I've held back a bit (okay, a lot), trying to play it safe. This post has given me a new urgency to push the envelope. So, thanks!
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure you could interst me in it by setting it in the Arabian Desert instead. Maybe.

One of my next novel endeavors was to figure out how to set World in a geogrphic similar to Egypt on the Nile Delta, and draw on both the Egyptian and Japanese cultures. Strange mix, but I think it will be and interesting experience. If nothing else I'll learn a lot.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

Well, for the record, I like both sci-fi and fantasy. But just as in every genre, each has its gems and its clunkers. It's like television shows. Some of it is ho-hum cliche dreck (Okay, MOST of it is ho-hum cliche dreck) but every great now and then you find a documentary or something that makes you look at the world in a different way.

I'm writing an story at the moment that's got elements of both genres; I suppose that's where the term, "speculative fiction" could be applied, but I'd much rather prefer, "far-fetched exotic tale....

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Two current science fiction writers I enjoy are Jack McDevitt and Lois McMaster Bujold. (Bujold also does some nice fantasy.)

I tried reading Martin's GAME OF THRONES and the nastiness put me off. I find that if I don't have characters I can care about, the story had better have something else going for it and that something else had better be pretty amazing, or I won't keep reading.

When Martin killed off the only character I liked in the first book by having him do something stupid, I shrugged and stopped reading. (I have enjoyed a lot of his other stuff--he does science fiction well, too--but not GAME OF THRONES.)

Lian Hearn's fantasy trilogy starting with ACROSS THE NIGHTINGALE FLOOR is very well done fantasy, in my opinion.

I have been enjoying C J Cherryh's DEFENDER series (or whatever it's called) a lot. I like her science fiction much more than I do her fantasy.

I started reading Karen Traviss' CITY OF PEARL because someone here recommended it, and I am anxiously awaiting the third book in that series. So I second that recommendation. (And I'd like to talk with those who have read the second book about whether or not they think someone is actually dead.)

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that last time this came up, I claimed that Gattaca was more related to Fantasy than to SF, only partly because of the stylistic choices made in the movie.

I think that the heart of the debate lies in understanding what SF and Fantasy are, what makes them different from each other. Fantasy is, and always has been, about the fantastic. SF is a relatively recent off-shoot, and it is defined largely by the use of science to persuade us that the fantastic elements of the story are actually possible.

In a post-enlightenment age, the boundries between the two genres have lapsed and become irrelevant to the vast majority of readers. So we start to see popular SF, also known as Sci-Fi, which is just the usual fantasy fare dressed up with lasers and spaceships (or technobabble explanations of how the fantastic element in the story is a "real" possibility). We also see a lot of urban Fantasy, which suggests that certain kinds of magic really might exist in our own world. And not all the readers of these books need to suspend their disbelief in such things.

That said, I believe that the more "cliche" kinds of stories will always be with us in quantity. Another way to look at them is "formulaic". Those stories are easy to make and market, and have a predictable return on investment for the publishers (not so much for the writers, though occasionally a writer does get rich that way). A lot of the established markets for written SF are actively committed to innovative new ideas and concepts, which is natural. Fantasy doesn't have that (sometimes dubious) advantage.

And of course, SF has undergone a sort of mitosis several times, so that now you have a range of "hardness" in terms of how plausible the story is in terms of actual science (and how directly that science affects the plot and characters). Most SF is nowhere near the values of "hardness" required to convince experts in the affected fields to think, "something like that could really happen." Whereas a significant and growing percentage of the reading public is likely to believe that magical events in certain urban fantasy stories are possible.

Myself? As I've said before, I don't particularly regard genre as being a meaningful indicator of a work's value. It's something we have to deal with as a reality of the publishing industry, and I'm more comfortable writing stories that I can believe are plausible in this universe. That means that I can explain how the world as it is now (or was at some known point in the past) gave rise to every milieu I've created for my own stories, including the Fantasy settings (which actually slightly outnumber my harder SF settings).

I don't make the same demand of worlds created by other authors, though. As long as the milieu makes some kind of sense, I'm okay reading. I've read a lot of really good Fantasy and a lot of really good SF. And I've had fun reading some pretty silly stuff too.

SF was a necessary reaction of Fantasy against the Enlightenment. With the death of that movement, SF and Fantasy have begun to come back together, with a greater diversity and creativity in payment for what was lost. I don't think that it's really possible to meaningfully distinguish them anymore except by reference to particular individuals.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

cklabyrinth: I have not seen that movie. Of course there are exceptions to everything, but when David Gerrold says that he sold his soul but got it back when he left Star Trek, (F&SF Sept 2005) to me it speaks volumes.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the best novels are fantasy. But. If something is labeled as fantasy, I have an immediate reaction of "not again," and I tend to move on!

I think it's like what Christine is saying. The best fantasy, to me, beats the best SF. But the best fantasy is so rare, and although I can enjoy mediocre SF, mediocre fantasy bores me to death.

I think it's partly because of the different goals. SF shows us what life might be like if physical reality were a little different. Fantasy shows us what life might be like if supernatural reality were a little different, and that's a grander sweep. SF shakes up the way I work or live; fantasy shakes up who I am, who God is, what reality is.

It's easier to shake up external reality and do it well, than to remake everything.

Small-scope fantasy can work (fairy tales). But even that, I think, shakes up my very nature.

I rarely try fantasy these days, unless we should call Twilight Zone stuff "fantasy," which I don't. And, I swear, if I read one more story about a swordsman learning his craft, or the political fortunes of a medeival royal family ... ack!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the context of the individual novel, more than the genre as a whole. For me, character-driven stories are more desirable than the common 'quest' tales. Likewise, the SF stories I most enjoy are about realistic personalities struggling through life as we all do at some point. In my opinion, the problem with many current works of fantasy (within the context of this discussion) is that they focus too much on the problem, or quest, or threat at hand. Not on the people who must find a solution. The problem takes precedence over the elements of the story that I most identify with. But that’s just me. Some might connect more with the struggle than the characters, for any number of reasons. Needless to say, my thoughts on this are really only relative to character-driven stories, though most of the books/short stories I read just happen to be character driven.

Just my two cents' worth. Or lack, thereof.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited August 14, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
cklabyrinth: viloence, incest, and seedy scenes don't do much to my comfort zones. I can find that in mainstream writers like Ken Follett or Scott Turow.

But that could be a track to follow. All You Zombies, where a character has an incestuous relationship with himself / herself, pushed my comfort zone. So did None Lives, which had characters with perfect sex partners: opposite sex clones of themselves. Then there was Cat's Cradle, which didn't have incest, but had ordinary humans who practiced a whole new form of sexual intercourse.

Frankly, these are weak examples. The best speculative fiction stories explore the meaning of our existence. Bicentennial Man is an example, so are Contact and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (b.k.a. Blade Runner).

Fantasy can do those things, but generally doesn't. Even the best fantasy (like LOTR) just gives a fantastic setting for a character to do daring deeds and make difficult moreal choices.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I love contemporary fantasy. I do hate the medieval, Tolkien-esque stuff that gets people a few extra bucks in their pockets. I hate walking down the Sci-fi/Fantasy aisle at Barnes and Nobel and seeing only a bunch of books with pictures of elves, dwarves, knights, and dragaons on them with titles like "The Quest of G'red'di'nar for the Jewel of Zdiheiohsdf" and "The King of the Metal Circles".

The problem of this generation in all media is afraid of pushing forward and trying something new. I see the same movies coming out of Hollywood everyday and the same books coming out everywhere everyday.

Writers need to look at the roots of fantasy and sci-fi to see what they must do. Millions of die-hard Tolkien fans have probably never read my favorite sci-fi book of all time, Frankenstein.

To defeat the cliches of both generes, it is necessary to look at the basic principles of both. With sci-fi, you pose a question and back it with logic, while with fantasy, you pose a question and back with unrealistic logic and realistic logic. The problem is that these days most people think that all the good questions have been posed and we should just take the safe bet on the best used questions. This is why Frankenstein, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Dragon Riders of Pern, and Harry Potter are good books. It is not because they are old or in Potter's case just easy to read, but because their authors dared to challenge the cliches of their times with incredible books. We must risk being condemned as naive for trying something different in order to push forward the world of writing ahead.

Now I did mention Harry Potter, but for good reason. These books are good because Rowling took a chance on creating a book that would fail because it would be scorn by the hardcore fantasy fans and ignored by the casual reading public or succeed because it brought magic away from Dungeuns and Dragons and Tolkien and to a level of understanding for everyone. I do however hate the child wizard books that have spawned from it.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you also have to remember if something in fantasy is too out there it may never get published. Publishers are after something they know will sell. As soon as you take them out of there comfort zone then they will start to get the jitters about publishing you. I also think the quest in fantasy is overplayed, but given the type of setting we are talking about here, there has to be some travelling.

In terms of plauability, I think a pure fantasy world with magic would have some elements of technology, or at least something that to us looked like technology. Can you imagine someone with the power to change matter into energy through the power of their mind, not be able to travel long distances? Of course, if you limit the magic to less potent spells, you are really falling into a quest type story by default.

Life's a bitch. Of course I could name at least twenty fantasy books that didn't rely on good old medieval knights and wizards, and despite the fact I love fantasy the last book I ever bought with elves in it was by Feist. I cringe when I see another dark elf story on the shelves.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

From Holly Lisle's diary, A Pocket Full of Words: "... a writer cannot write toward readers, because readers have contradictory desires; pleasing one always means infuriating a dozen others."

Her posted comment goes on to describe a reader who approached her at a book signing to complain that the gutter on the printed page was too narrow for his tastes, so he would never buy one of her titles again.

I'm going to write my own stories and just try to do the very best work I'm capable of. Readers' tastes are so wide and varied that my audience is already out there somewhere, and probably always will be, right alongside all the critics who will pan it not only for being genre but the wrong one to boot.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.