Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Query: How long to wait

Author Topic: Query: How long to wait
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
If a publication says they will reply within a specified period of time, how long should you wait after that period expires before you query?

Also, how should you query: letter, e-mail, same way you submitted?

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends. It depends.

What market? What is the time limit? How did you send your manuscript in the first place? What kind of response times are they at right now? (Black Hole and Rumor Mill are good for this info)

If it's Strange Horizons, for example, and you've passed up their 60 days, send them a polite e-mail and they will kindly respond, probably with a note saying it was lost because they are on time 99.9% of the time.

If it's Assimov's and it's past about four months (I think that's right), send a polite and brief query letter with a self addressed stamped postcard for their reply.

There are a great many markets, and I usually approach them the way they ask to be approached in the first place when it comes to e-mail/snail mail. Some have query addresses lsited on their websites and you can go with that.

Never be afraid to query past their documented response time. You are a professional trying to run a business and they are someone you are trying to do business with.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd write as soon as the time limit has passed, and definitely by the same medium employed the first time around.

(If I bothered to write at all. According to my notes, I've got this non-fiction MS sitting at a market for nine and a half years...and another one, fiction, and accepted, at another market for about the same length of time...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Cicada: "Allow 12 weeks for a reply."

I subbed on May 30 and waited 3 months (13 weeks). I've been checking Black Hole, and another story subbed around the same time as mine received their response in 92 days (about 13 weeks), while most the response times listed for several months before that ranged from 116 days to 160.

flashquake: "You can expect to hear from us toward the end of August."

I subbed on June 28 and received confirmation of receipt on July 2. While they still have a day, it's almost past. At Black Hole, most response times in the last year have been in the 20-40 day range with only a handful running any longer than that and only two with a response time longer than 60 days (one was a sale the other a rejection).

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Cicada may say three months, but it is clear that their response times are typically mroe like 4 months. I would therefore wait one more month and then do the snail mail self-addressed poscard + polite query method. This is because they are a high paying pro market that requests snail mail submissions in the first place.

As for flashquake, I fear you may have missed your mark on that. I believe you should have e-queried them (as they do not even accept snail mail submissions) two weeks ago as they say their notification will occur by August 15 for a September 1st fall issue launch. The black hole also lists several acceptances on or very near August 15. It couldn't hurt to query now, but I fear that they have lost your submission and that nothing can be done about it save submitting for the winter issue.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 30, 2005).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Thanks, Christine. I forgot to look at the submissions page for flashquake and was going off of the e-mail they had sent me. I guess I should contact them. And I suppose it won't kill me to wait another month for Cicada.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.