Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » YAPOVQ (Yet Another POV Question)

Author Topic: YAPOVQ (Yet Another POV Question)
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the subject line is inspired by Nethack fans. (Yes, I am one, but I digress.)

Everyone has been talking about POV, 1stP this and 3rdP-limited that. It's great, and I have picked up new information from each occurance.

But what about OMNI!?
I wrote a flash that was supposed to be in omni, and almost every critique said "You need to settle on one POV", "You need to pick one character for POV", "Don't have your POV jump around", etc etc.
I had one that said toward the end they realized it was OMNI.

This means I failed as a writer to correctly portray my scenes and my intent.

I quickly picked up Character and Viewpoints again. The only thing I got from that (as there doesn't seem to be much info on OMNI at least to me) was that an OMNI narrator can make side comments and address the reader. I tried to make the OMNI narrator invisible.
Is this fundementally impossible?

What makes OMNI work? How can you tell if something is OMNI versus 3rdP-unlimited?
And:
Is OMNI bad? Is it out of fashion? How many OMNI stories can you name from recent years? Is it something readers don't want anymore in their world of "Right here/right now first person" or "This is my story" 3rd-limited?

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Omni is going out of fashion, yes - you can get a lot deeper inside the character's heads with other POVs. Also, it's really really hard to do it right - and unless it's done very well, it just looks like a messy pile of POV lapses.

So it's valid POV choice, but a difficult one to pull off effectively. Now, if you're a contrary person, that will just make you determined to make it work; go for it.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
The ominscient POV is "out of fashion" right now. It's fairly rare in new books. This doesn't mean it's bad, but it does mean that you have to know your readers aren't going to be expecting it. The natural tendency of a contemporary reader today is to fall into a POV, so if you seem to take hold of one character's POV and then suddenly change, it will throw the reader off.

First off, make sure omni is the right POV for the story you want to tell. If it is, be sure to establish omni POV very early. I have little experience with it, but I would suggest avoiding deep penetration, especially in the opening pages, and be certain you don't remain only in one person's mind for any extended periods of time. Make sure you establish immediatly the narrator's ability to see inside different characters' heads (within the first page or two).

And read a lot of stories written well in omni POV.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just because you're writing in Omni doesn't mean your narrator can't have a voice or a POV one what he/she is watching. One problem with Omni that's been discussed is that it distances the reader from the character. By giving the Omni narrator a personality then it might make it easier for them to relate.
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like omni fine if it's done right.

Of all the hobbits in the world, the most contented one was Billy-Bob-Bo. When spring came, he could be seen ...

Yep, it's omni.

But I think beginners should usually start with 3PL. So they get it. And I do almost everything in 3PL, deep penetration.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed some of Talon Of The Silver Hawk seemd to be Omni. Most of it is 3PL, from Talon's viewpoint, but then Talon will go out of the room, but the scene will still keep going. I'm so used to 3PL that, it leaves me confused when this happens. I'm left wondering, 'how can the scene keep going?'

The sequal King Of Foxes, starts of OMNI, though the viewpoint character seems to be the Silver Hawk, his godlike totem, who evidently can read his thoughts. Then it zooms in on Talon, and it seems to become 3PL.

The best post-Tolkien OMNI, I can point at is the opening chapter of Runelord: The Sum Of All Men. Again, we zoom in, this time on the city, to a fight in a dark alley. But then we quickly go into strict 3PL from then on.

Perhaps OMNI, like adverbs, should be used sparingly.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the biggest reasons that people crit Omni in a negative way is because many new writers will use it as an excuse for not understanding how to write in any pov. It is easy for some to assume that an omni viewpoint is simple, you can do anything and the normal rules don't apply (so not knowing them will be ok).

As others have already said, omni is very dificult to do right. Omni pov works just fine when it is done right primarily because unless someone is paying attention to it, the story flows smoothly and the type of viewpoint isn't relevant.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The most important thing to remember about "omni" is that it stands for "omniscient".

This means that your reader has to see the story through an omniscient perspective. You must make the reader feel omniscient. You cannot hide information, you cannot say something is unknown, you cannot be fuzzy about important actions.

Tom Clancey wrote many of his books in Full Omniscient, telling everything that was of relevance to the action in the story, even if none of the characters could possibly know about it. Tolkien did not write in omniscient, his narrator character frequently admits ignorance of important matters.

If your omniscient POV is really Full Omniscient, then nobody will fail to realize it. If readers can't tell right away that you're in omniscient, then you aren't. It's that simple.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune is written in Omni, but I'd failed to remember it as such until someone pointed it out.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Side note: Isn't Terry Pratchett's Discworld all Omni? And Princess Bride, that was Omni, right?

What's the difference between Omni and a story teller? I know it's been mentioned that the Omni is a narrator.
Does all Omni have to have a narrator with a particular personality? Is there a way to have Omni be quiet?

I've done 3rd person and I've been working with 1st person, but I do want this one flash at least to be a good Omni. Omni was my goal when I started writing it, and I want to figure it out. At least this once. :-)

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The POV usage in Dune can be a bit hard to pin down. A lot of the POV characters are semi-telepathic, precogniscient, mentats (hyperlogical) or what have you. And because of that Herbert didn't tend to be very strict about his POV usage.

If you want to write in omniscient, then ask yourself what element of the story needs an omniscient narrator. Something that you must describe in detail that none of the characters could know. If you can't find at least one important thing, then don't bother with omni.

paraworlds
Member # 2381

- posted      Profile for paraworlds   Email paraworlds         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the first few dragonlance books, and those authors do POV shifts all the time in the middle of a chapter. Just about every time the characters encounter a new dragon, the POV suddenly goes to the dragon and then back to the main character. I thought it was cool. Other readers/authors probably go into conniption fits when they get to those parts.

I admit that I do try to follow the POV “rules” with most of my stories. However, this is the one topic I have a lot of issues with. I just hate conforming to other author’s expectations. I can understand having some strict rules with grammar, spelling, and punctuation. For instance, I hate seeing comma splices, but everyone seems to put them in their stories. But I find it difficult to understand why people are so adamant about POV shifts. Why the strict rules? I've thought all along that if it's understandable and helpful to the story, then add the POV shift. I don’t think it should be a frequent deviation, but the occasional deviation is fine with me. I’m sure some people will be ready to vomit after hearing me say this.

I’m sort of a smart guy. I’m smart enough to realize that if Sally is the main POV character, but I read “Johny wanted to....” then Johny is the one “wanting to” do something, not the main POV character. This seems even more acceptable when in the next chapter the main POV character really does switch to Johny. Why not allow the reader to get little snippets from others every once in a while? Of course you don’t want to do this with every story and book, but why not allow those who want to do it, do it? I think normal readers (i.e. non-authors) are much more forgiving when it comes to POV shifts (they haven’t been tainted with all of the “rules”).

Who made up this rule that you can only do this with this type of POV and you can only do that with that type of POV? Sounds kinda funny to me. When I tell my kids a bedtime story, do I have to follow those same rules? Sometimes I like to think of the narrator as God telling the story, and why is it that we have these “rules” that dictate how God tells the story? I’m sure he can keep things from the reader if he wanted to. I’m sure he can stick to one character’s thoughts for a while and then throw in another character’s emotions.

In the end, if you don't conform, you may not get published. Okay, my ranting is finished. Feel free to flame me now.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
No flaming necessary

I have a terrible time keeping POV straight simply because the bulk of the writing I had done prior to joining Hatrack was in "game format" where our POV usage jumped around like a frog on steroids. I have thus ingrained a bad habit and am struggling to bring it into control.

Bottom line with ALL writing is this: You can do whatever you like. But if you WANT to be published, you have to keep in mind 1) what Editors like, and more importantly, 2) what READERS like.

Dealing with a shifting POV requires a great deal of skill. A writer who hasn't learned the craft of proper POV usage probably doesn't have the skill to successfully slip from one POV to another. As they say, it's OK to break the rules, provided you understand the rules and how to break them successfully.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, what elan said!

There's a quotation I read the other day, but I can't remember who said it.

You can write anything you can get away with, but they won't let you get away with much.

Yeah, any time there's a "rule" there will be dozens of exceptions and places where people have made breaking the rule work. But there will be hundreds of thousands of times when people tried to break the rule and just looked like amateurs.

The danger of shifting POV is that it can jar the reader; they have to refocus their brains when you shift POV. A POV shift may well be just what your story needs, and you may be able to handle it brilliantly - go for it. Just understand the risks you're taking.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

That isn't the danger, that's just one of the inevitable effects if the reader is deeply immersed in one POV and you switch to another. The real danger is that when you jolt the reader out of the current POV a lot, the reader will disengage from that POV, and you'll lose all the good effects of using a POV character in the first place.

I always try to stress that point, because the freedom to just let the reader know what a character is thinking/feeling/etc. without having to convince the reader that the character is really thinking/feeling/whatever that is so often taken for granted.

Writers used to have to go to some really elaborate lengths to convince readers that the internal action attributed to the characters was "genuine". Accepting the conventions of modern POV character usage liberates us from all that ****ing nonsense.

If we choose to use it.

But hey, nobody's forcing anyone to use modern POV. It used to be far more against the "rules" of writing than all the other stuff we hammer. Eventually literature might evolve way past it. POV usage has noticibly evolved in just the last couple of decades, after all.

I happen to really like well written omni, it's just that well written omni is very rare. Multiple POV character fiction that accomplishes most of the features of omni is fine with me too. But it has to be done well. Just because we tend to concentrate on learning one thing doesn't mean that nothing else can be good.

But 3PLO really is the easiest form to master and use effectively. If you haven't mastered it, then you should definitely try. Even if you mastered something else (like Full Omniscient or First Person Journalist or whatever) already, learning how and why to use 3PLO will be of immense benefit.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
There's an even more important consideration than simply jolting the reader when leaving that POV. You could disengage your reader from the entire story, and they might never finish.

If you are writing for yourself and have no intention of letting anyone else read it, it doesn;t matter what you do. Write in pig-latin if you want. If you want to be published, and like many of us, want to make a living at this, you need to follow the POV rules, and only break them when you know exactly what you are doing and why. And even then, there will be a price to pay. Harlan Ellison could get away with writing a circular story with no timeline in 1969 because he had a proven track record and a Nebula award to prove it. That also gave him a loyal fan base that will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Had I turned in that story, it would almost certainly be rejected. I haven't won a nebula award and my loyal fan base can be counted on one hand. I can get away with anything for those few readers, but not for the world at large.

So, if you want to shatter the world and bring omniscient POV back into vogue, you'll either have to be so good that the world MUST stand up and notice, or else you need to prove yourself with more conventional stories first.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't write those stories, it just means you probably will have trouble selling them.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I wonder if my scene breaks will allow me to shift POV seamlessly.

For instance, we have three characters in a room having an important discussion. The POV is the MC. The MC leaves the room.

# to indicate a scene break

The two characters (including a secondary MC) who still remain in the room continue their conversation, and discuss the MC and the issues that were being discussed prior to the change of scene, and the POV.

*I* think this works, but since POV is one of my weak areas, I am a little uncertain. I figure since the venue remains the same, and two of the three characters remain the same, and since the subsequent dialog puts a tidy "wrap" on what was being discussed previously, the shift of POV won't be terribly noticable? I hope? Using this POV switch is the only way I can think of to have the secondary MC (a woman) be able to reveal her feelings (to the 3rd character) about the primary MC (a man).

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to tell your story from the POV of the man, then you don't reveal her inner feelings. You have to reveal her feelings as he learns of them. Perhaps that third character can tell the POV character what teh woman said, but maybe he gets it a little bit wrong. The great thing about having a limited POV is that you can get away with not telling the reader secrets that the POV character doesn't know about.

Just remember there is a price to pay with any choice. If you choose to stay in the main character's POV, you sacrifice the ability to tell anything that character doesn't experience. If you choose to be more omniscient and pop from character to character, you gain information, but you lose intimacy. You can never get deep penetration without the reader questioning whose opinoins he is reading.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I guess I need to know if it's a major problem to have POVs for different characters throughout an entire novel. Mostly there are three main characters, each with their own pattern of growth and experience, and I am trying to alternate between them in a balanced fashion.

I am trying to limit the POV to one character per chapter as much as possible, but sometimes I feel it enhances the scene to have a short snippet, separated by a scene break, with the viewpoint of another character.

I belong to a critique group and no one has cited the chapter POV changes as being an issue for them. I am assuming it is reading smoothly. But I am uncertain as to whether an editor would find this style unprofessional?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, what you describe sounds fine to me. A scene break is the conventional way to move to a different POV, so you should be fine.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

And three isn't a crippling number of POV characters, though it's easier to balance two.
maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an interesting question on this topic. I am writing a story about Sophia. She dies. Anyway, even when she is most alive, I keep writing the story from her husband's point of view. Her husband is not the main character, she is, but when I have a point to make about her, I usually find her husband making it. Thoughts?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
When you have a character that you want to portray as "larger than life," it's a good idea to pick someone else for the POV.

This is what Doyle did with Watson and Holmes, and what Tolkien did with the hobbits.

I think you're taking the right approach with Sophia by having her husband be the POV character in your story.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking that I could switch, because while she is larger than life, I also want her to be human. To have her moments of doubt and terror and greif. And I have to rant. Somebody told me that you can only write what you know, that your stories have to draw on what you experienced. I think that while that's true as far as it goes, it is also bull. I've never been married, so I have to imagine a marriage for my characters. I think I can still manage to do a good job of it. And if everybody only wrote what they knew, that would take out the majority of my reading material, and the world of fiction would be a whole heck of a lot worse off. The point of fiction and liturature, for me at least is that the writer imagined something other than what is, and took me along for the ride. And it was good, and nobody is going to tell me that because I am young doesn't mean I can't write a good story. Sorry, I couldn't argue with my teacher, so I had to get it out here.
Inky_960
Member # 2808

- posted      Profile for Inky_960           Edit/Delete Post 
In general, don't give a point of view to a major character who dies in the end. I'm talking about 3rd person limited. The effect, when this happens--unless the plot fully supports it--is the same illogic a reader feels when a first person narrator dies in the end. It's harder for non-writers to say exactly what's screwy with such stories, just as it's unlikely they'll point out needless shifts in point of view. But _something_ is wrong, the reader knows.

Anyway, the issue with dead characters' upraising themselves somehow, at least long enough for the story's purposes, is one some writers will argue. There are exceptions; right now I'm having no luck thinking of a good one, though--unless we open up the romance genre, maybe some thrillers. In literary fiction, there's J. D. Salinger's story, "A Perfect Day for a Bananafish"... but I think the point of view there is objective, not sure.

It's a good rule of thumb, I think, anyway. Dead men don't talk, as the mobsters say. It's a strange feeling to realize you just read a story about a character who's dead, but whose innermost thoughts and feelings, dreams, etc., you just witnessed, supposedly. So, I'm not saying writers don't sometimes kill off their point of view characters--they do. Personally, though...it usually doesn't work. Flaubert made it work. A few others.

Any thoughts?

Inky

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

My intention is to have her think of her life the night before she is executed. (By the way she totaly does not deserve death, but life is cruel.) When she's thinking about her life, he husband is frantically trying to get to her, and he's thinking about things to. I just realized that, cool!!!!! Anyway, the POV shifts because they are each thinking of certain events in turn. Then she dies and the main focus shifts to her husband and how he has to deal with things. Further thoughts?
Inky_960
Member # 2808

- posted      Profile for Inky_960           Edit/Delete Post 
Maria... you can show Sophia "in the flesh," ranting away and you can show her grief and hope and sorrows... without being inside her head. Have her husband remember, perhaps.

Just a thought.

Inky

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

But I want to include things in the story that her husband never saw, like the day her parents died, or when she realized what predjudice is. And I don't want to have her husband remember her telling them, that kind of seems round about to me. Besides this is such a fasinating character for me, I want to get into her head.
maria102182
Member # 2829

I find it hard to flesh out character unless I can show their thoughts, and if everything is from her husband's POV, then it's really hard to get her thoughts in there. I know the whole shifting POVs and storylines and getting it to fit is hard, but this is what feels right to me, at least for now. I can always change it in the rewrite.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a novel of flashbacks. I wouldn't care for that, if that's the plan. (Titanic did it, but then I didn't like Titanic.)
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

It is, at least at first. She is remembering and her husband is remembering, and then they get together and the story goes from there. It will be difficult, and I know theirs a price to pay, but I think this fits the story I want to tell the best. At least so far.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.