Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What's the big idea?

Author Topic: What's the big idea?
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just starting chapter 2 of Character and Viewpoint, where he is talking about keeping the reader engaged with the story. He is talking about the story that rings true or feels important to you, that is the reason you even want to write the book to begin with.

And so I am thinking, what are these stories? Does basing a book on such a story make it an idea book? Dues the I in MICE even stand for idea book? I actually got rolling on this as I was responding elsewhere to the question of whether I liked the Ender books or the Bean books better. So forgive me if this topic seems too Card-centric. I am hopeful it is applicable to the writing process in general.

I hope no one considers the following spoilers, but here is a warning of sorts. I am trying to capture the idea without getting into plot points.

I can think of lots of possible important stories for the various novels. In Ender's Game you have the ethical quandary of using people and particularly children as tools. There is another story which is what is the nature of leadership. And it is a pinocchio story.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't honestly understand what you're asking. What does writing a story that is important to you have to do with an idea story? It might be an idea story, it might be a character story, it might be a millieu story, it might be an event story, or it might be some combination of the above. Why would it automatically be an idea story?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

Good, you answered my question even though I apparently failed to make my point clear. So the big story- it seems like it can presuppose certain characters. Such as "what happens if a political leader is favored by the gods?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the MICE categories as referring to the main thing you are exploring in your story, it might make it easier to figure out which kind of story you are trying to tell.

Are you exploring a setting (milieu)?

Are you exploring an idea?

Are you exploring a character role or role change?

Are you exploring an event?

You explore one of the above more than the others and you examine its effect on the characters in the story, and that is the kind of story you are writing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

I read about MICE before, I was just trying to understand how Card's concept of the underlying story related to it. Which is to say, they relate but not in a mechanical way.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think of MICE as being the four fundamental elemtents of every story rather than a way to separate stories into four catagories. Of course, different stories will emphasize different elements. And there are ways to use the dramatic structure and POV choice to focus on the most important element in any particular story. But people sometimes get trapped into thinking that a story can exist without all four elements.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.