Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How to handle crits

Author Topic: How to handle crits
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
This week, it was my turn to receive crits for a manuscript on critters.
I've been receiving crits for a while, but this is the first time I received so many of them! (about 20 for one piece). Trouble is, they disagree.
I used to apply the principle that if two or more people had a problem with something, it was worth looking into. Here I have people telling me "hey, this was good", and others complaining about the same thing. (one specific sentence has five for and five against )
I know you can't please anyone. But how do you choose whom you want to please? How do you decide if a particular bit of a crit should be taken into account?

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
At that point, you pat yourself on the back. You've done your job if they are evenly divided. So thus, you can now take the next step, which is to go with YOUR gut instinct. Take the crits that work, and leave the rest. Please yourself.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Set it aside, look at it again in a few weeks (or days, or whatever), and decide if they are right or not.

First and foremost, please yourself. (Until someone pays you for it, and then consider pleasing that person. )

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to my world. It's like trying to get the daily news from tea leaves. However I feel the number 20 is a nice little barometer in of itself. So far, out of 31 stories, you are the 8th most critted. 20 people clicked on your story, sailed through the first line, first paragraph, and were held to the end. That's got to count for something.

Had I known, I would've checked it out. I still would I've already done 5 crits over there this week and am all critted out. For some reason, the opening does seem familar.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
What AndrewR said. Stephen King recommends to let a writing sit in a drawer for a good period of time, about 6 months. Once you are able to read it with fresh eyes, THEN take it out. The solution should be more clear to you then.

Of course, waiting 6 months to re-read might be difficult if you are anxious to submit.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Chris Owens, I didn't make the connection with your nickname and your real name (how dense can you get). I'll check you out next time, promise. The opening paragraph is familiar because I posted it on Hatrack, and the completed story moved on to critters .
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably with Elan on this.

Besides looking at who is saying what, try to look at why they are saying it. Do they have a problem with how you have written something, or are they reacting to the story?

Consider the source. What else have they had to say? Do their comments tend to make sense in other areas? Do you respect their opinions in general?

And, as has already been mentioned, what makes sense for you? Everyone will have an opinion - and they are entitled to it - but at the end of the day it is your story and the decisions about it need to resonate with you.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one reason I don't like getting so many crits on one story. After about four or five, it's utterly useless to get anymore.

Two and two or five and five, though, I think it boils down to the same thing: flip a coin. Or go with my advice, because I'm always right. <cough>

Seriously, though, go with your own gut on this one. It is interesting that so many people, whether for or against, chose to comment on this point and so you definitely want to give it some thought, but in the end it's just going to be up to you and your own vision of the story.

One other thing that might help is to take a look at the naysayer's specific comments. Is it possible that their problem wasn't with the sentence in question, but rather with something else that the yeah people didn't catch onto?

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but I've found that most critiquers are woefully unable to figure out what it was that really bugged them about a piece, so it's something ot keep in mind.

Good luck! And stop giving a piece to 20 people. I hope you didn't have to read 20 stories to get that feedback...what a waste. 20 comments on one story is not equal to reading and commenting on 20 other stories.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

No, I had to do about 6 reviews, but I agree that doing 20 reviews would have been more useful than receiving those conflicting 20. And I didn't choose the 20 reviews .
Ah well, at least I got a pro to look at my story

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Silver3,

Not really me best stuff coming through this time around, a Part 1 of a story that I'm not too sure about. I've an idea where I'm heading but don't know how to transition there in Part 2. I guess I submitted it, just to have it get a good kick in the pants.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the advice of critiquers (particulary considering that they're also a bunch of amateur writers) must SO totally depend on your own gut instincts. If you read the bit of criticism and go, "Hmm. Yeah. He's right," then you make the suggested change. If you read it and roll your eyes, then pass on it. If you're not sure, and if your critiquers are evenly divided on something, as you've said, then maybe your writing failed to clarify something for your readers. Unfortunately that leaves it up to you to figure out what that is, and how to correct it.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If the criticism makes sense to you, then use it. If it doesn't make sense, then don't try to use it, you'll only mess it up.

I find a lot of criticisms fall into the middle, where you think they might make sense but you're not sure. That's when it's nice to be able to ask for clarification. I think that Critters does have that option for the author, right?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Critiquing is much like writing, in my opinion. Sometimes it's hit or miss. The problem is discerning what are bullseyes and what are through your neighbors' barn wall behind you (don't ask...it's a long story). One problem with critiquing is this (and it's not about the critics): many writers don't know how to handle criticism constructively.

Yes, some critiques can be lacking in tact, and some stray dangerously close to verbal abuse, but one must try to remember that a grain of truth frequently rides somewhere along the crest of even the most unnecessary of waves. It's just a matter of ignoring potential or perceived belligerence and going after the reality (even if it's just a tiny granule of wisdom).

Then again, there are some critiques that fail to do anyone (or the story) any good. I'm not talking about polite conversation within a thread...that shows that a thread is alive. I'm talking about unending, unadulterated ignorance coupled with an antagonistic goal.

However, I believe most critiquers truly want to help the writer. If they come across a bit gruff, there are usually reasons. I can't fault people for being a little blunt at times (no matter how much it ruffles my feathers). After all, while we do develop and value relationships in online communities like this, most of us do not have true personal investment. That can lead to some ugly words being flung across screens. That's something I try very hard to avoid (though I'm sure I've been guilty of it in the past). Anyhow...that's my take on critiquing. In a nutshell.

[/rant]

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited October 13, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten 20 or so critiques before. It's confusing.

First I broke the critiques into broad groups, so that I could limit myself to considering 3 or 4 general concepts, instead of trying to synthesize 20 all at once.

Then, I gave significant consideration to the people who just didn't get it. Surely I was unclear. So I rewrote.

Then I checked back in with some of the people who loved the first version. I was afraid I'd killed what I loved about the first version. Unfortunately, they agreed - I'd dumbed it down and opened it up to all kinds of questions and just lost the magic.

So I sat back and I looked at it and I thought about what I was trying to do with the story, and ultimately I decided that if the first version limited my target audience, so be it; that's the story I wanted to tell and the way I wanted to tell it.

In the long run, a lot of the critiques I got did not lead to final changes in the story - but by forcing me to try alternative approaches and really dig down and think about what was important *to me* about the story, I am absolutely confident that I ended up with the story that I wanted to, and I learned some things about my target audience for the piece. Sometimes it is as useful to reject advice as to accept it.

but oh, man, I never want to get 20 crits again. That is way too many to be useful.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

The trouble with 20 critiques is that inevitably you will get some of the following:

1. People who just didn't get it. Not getting it isn't always a matter of being unclear. I've even run into a couple of people who I won't send stories to because I've figured out they're too stupid to read them. Listening to these people got me into the habit of overexplaining things and that's now how I want to write.

2. People who don't sympathize with your characters. I don't know why, but inevitably someone won't like your character(s), if you send it out to enough people. This is one of those times when knowing the critiquer helps. My dad has never liked any of my young, female characters. I finally figured out that he just doesn't have a clue what teenage girls think or feel, so I no longer take his criticism in that area seriously. (Although I do still listen to his opinions on male characters.) Of course, you don't always have the luxury of knowing the critiquer. I'd say that if your characters were resonating with some of the people, then you're doing ok. We'd like to think we can write characters that resonate with everyone, but we're wrong.

3. People who dont' like your style. We all have a unique style, and there are many authors (even published) whose style puts me off. My style puts other people off. I first realized this back in school essays. Depending upon the teacher, I would make an A in English class or a B. (They couldn't honestly give me lower than a B and sleep at night.) Were my English skills lacking? Nope. Every comment in the B years was a matter of personal preference and style. Nowadays I don't get graded, but I still get a lot of comments that boil down to not liking my style. I ignore EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE WITH NO EXCEPTION> In fact, this is one reason why I don't like in-line comments as much as I used to, because they lend themselves to comments on how I worded this or that sentence. Grammar errors are one thing, but I'll pick my own wording, thanks.

4. People who think your idea is cliche. You send it out to enough people and someone is going to make some connection in their mind, sum up your entire story in about three words that doesn't do it justice, and tell you it's been done before. Something like, "It's just a boy meets girl story." Or maybe they'll have seen a movie you haven't, even one that almost no one else went to see. Or read some obscure book published twenty years ago that no one else read.

5. People who are incredibly harsh/negative. They go out of their way to look for problems, word their responses hatefully, and tell you things like, "You'll never sell this." By the way, one of my sales got two responses saying I'd never sell it. Toss these in the trash. Even if they have a bit of insight that could have been sueful, the chances of you seeing it are slim. The chances of you seeing it without suffering some emotional trauma first are zip.

6. People who just pat you on the back. Unless you've know their critiquing style and know that they've made an exception for this work (which I've seen before, and it's a great feeling), then toss these in the trash with the negative ones. They may give you a feeling of temporary satisfaction, but they are utter rubbish.

That's all I can think of right now. Of course, if you send a story off to three or four people you're likely to get the same thing and without 17 other responses to back you up, but three is a more managable number and you can often find someone yuo are more familiar with to help you out.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I take all crits with a grain of salt. I have some people who regularly crit my work whom I trust, and even then, I sometimes disagree with what they say. One guy who does a fabulous job critiquing never likes anything I say about the expressions on a person's face. I disagree a lot with some of his comments and make no changes. There are other things he comments on that really will improve my stories. I think that's what each writer needs to do--read the crits and see if they seem to ring true to you. If they do, then make the necessary changes. If they don't, then don't change your story. The proof is when you try to sell it to someone and you are either able to or not. Some writers don't think they have anything to change no matter who says it to them. These writers will never have the ability to succeed for long.

Shane

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Christine, that was a really spooky rundown of crits. I figure I got at least one of these (including a "toss it, the style is rubbish" kind) in the 20. And unfortunately, I have the "I didn't get any of it". Those ones I already discarded out of hand
Survivor
Member # 213

I've never come across a valid style I just couldn't like. My difficulty in school was totally different. Teachers that didn't like the position I'd taken. It happened a lot.

And I notice you didn't mention that point in your list of bad critiques. The thing is, I sometimes do mention that I disagree with a theme that is present in a story. Something less than a definite plausibility error but more than a matter of POV. I try to keep a perspective on those points, am I mentioning something that is going to be distressing to a lot of people or am I just mentioning my own philosophic notions.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

It does happen, Survivor, but it's not something that I find inevitably happens if you ask enough people. It becomes more likely with science fiction, come to think of it...
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I think my favorite (in an ironic kind of way) critique I ever got falls under the "toss it in the trash" category. The person said they liked this and they liked that and this other thing was great. And after saying all that, they turned around and said that the idea (which was involved in some of the things they like) was unworkable and I shouldn't waste my time trying to fix it.

I ended up roaring with laughter after I got over the shock, and tossed the critique. If they liked as much about the story as they said they did, I find it hard to believe that the idea is that unworkable. Besides, the other 4 people who critiqued it like or loved it, including the idea.

At least I got a laugh out of it though.

Heresy

[This message has been edited by Heresy (edited October 14, 2005).]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to put together a crew of critiquers. Sort of like a crew on a ship. There's a captain, a science officer, an engineer/mechanic (this would be Survivor for sure- or maybe he's the robot trying to understand what it means to be human character...) a smart-mouth doctor.

My mother in law is probably the captain in this case. She reads more than anyone I know. Her library in her house has its own climate control system. While this sounds ominous/psychotic, it is mainly due to the fact that it was converted from space that was not on the house's original climate control system.

Oh yeah, I was once in a face to face crit session and the part of the story I thought was absolutely unfathomably bad was someone else's favorite part. While I had been content to just highlight what I did like about the work, I came to that crisis of whether to say what I really thought. I didn't.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited October 16, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school my teacher required me (well, the whole AP English class, actually) to enter the Anne Frank writing competition.

I wrote a story in one sitting and turned it into the teacher for submission. His comment, and that of the other students who read it before it was submitted, was that it didn't touch strongly enough on the themes of the contest, that it was a nice story but not nice enough or within the rules enough to do well at the contest.

I won first place.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the parameters of the contest?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading a critique requires critical thought. Maybe more than went into the actual critique. You are reading to see what their state of mind is, what they really know and what they think.

No one critiquing anything fully is one-hundred percent correct about your work unless they are offering you a paycheck and publication if you make the changes they are specifying. In that case, they are probably right

Look at what they are focusing on, Are they focusing on the mechanics of your work or the artistry? Are they even trying to grasp the characterization or are they checking to see which puntuation you put inside the quotes.

A good critique will usually be very harsh but your writing doesn't need to be perfect in every way so change what you feel or can be convinced to feel would make the story better. Grammer/punctuation should be perfect as long as the narrator would be. Even so, punctuation errors will lower the quality of work. So don't think badly on those who just focus on your semicolon.

Think about what they say, see if you agree. It's your work. You are ultimately the only one who decides when it's really done right unless the piece is for a grade or a paycheck then you have to attend to the teacher/publisher's tastes.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Just look at what they are telling you, asses it, and fix it if it looks like they are right. Mostly they aren't, but sometimes they point out mistakes that you didn't realize you were making.
Or...
you can just... you know..

*cocks gun...

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
You are reading to see what their state of mind is, what they really know and what they think.

GOOD GOD, NO!

I mean that in all caps too.

When you critique, you are reading for story. You are paying attention to how YOU (the critiquer) feel about the story and reflecting that back to the author. You are reacting to events and characters in such a way that the author can discover if he is relaying his/her message correctly.

You are under NO circumstances reading a story to make any commentary on or judgments about the author, his state of mind, or his intentions. This is irrelevant and goes beyond making commentary about the story to making commentary about a person, which is not in the nature of a critique.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
he's talking about interpreting crits, Christine.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Whoops. You're right. I see that now. Sorry about that.
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gods no, never, ever, try to look into the mind of a writer through their works. I mean we are all a bit schitzophrenic (sp?) and healthily out of touch with reality, right? (neurotically glances around hoping for agreement)

Basically my point was that not everyone looking at your work would critique it like you would. They are looking with a distinct personality that will affect how they judge and they may or may not be your target audience.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited October 16, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
When I critique something (which has been a whole lot - I is a English teacher) I read the whole thing first, think about it awhile, then reread it making comments. I'm careful to make clear ones, focussing on being constructive. Saying I don't like a thing is pointless. Explaining a clarity issue or why something doesn't work is much more valuable for the writer. I always say something good about it, describing the strengths.

I haven't received many critiques yet. I'm new here. I find that if I don't receive the same I'm disappointed. Guess I'll have to get over that a little.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a difference between how much comment is needed for a student of English and an experienced writer. The latter would just as often simply see a notation that a bit of text didn't work without the elaboration of why.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I've always thought that for critiquing fiction, reading a piece twice is a huge mistake. Readers, editors, and publishers don't read your piece twice and they don't think about it unless there's something thought provoking in there. I get one shot -- maybe less than that if I don't hook them at the beginning -- and so I want critiquers fresh, first impressions, even if they feel the need to retract something later. There's a reason they thought it the first time and I want to know.

I also don't mind the why and the constructive suggestions, but that initial, "I don't like this." made in that first draft can be far more useful...especially if you're more specific by saying, "I don't understand this." or "I'm bored here." or "I don't buy this." You can try to tell me why and I'll look at that, but these impressions are far more valuable in the end for my understanding of how the story affected you and therefore how I need to change it to get the proper affect.

Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
I take your point.

I was not quite recommending a procedure for critiquing, just explaining how I do it. Everybody's entitled to decide how to go about it the most responsibly.

I'm not going to pretend to be an editor or a publisher though. The purpose here, I think, is to help each other get better at writing. If something doesn't work, yes, it helps to be told so. Same as if it did work. I'd still like to know why it did or didn't.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christine. As I give a story a first-time read, I note my reactions, questions, guesses and so on. I figure that is information the author can use.

I rarely ever reread a story I am critiquing because I don't think readers or editors are going to do that. I can say all I need to say with one read-through.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I often do read through twice, because I can clarify my first time reactions. Sometimes when I'm reading I'll miss something and make a comment based on missing it. I think the author needs to know that I missed it, but also think that saying something like, "I missed this on my first read and it really confused me," makes it easier for them to take me seriously so I don't wind up in the "They didn't get it camp" of critiques.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't usually read all the way through more than once, but I often jump back a couple of pages to verify something. If I do that, I'll usually mention it. If I do it a lot, I'll just mention the problem as a whole, if I do it only a few times, I'll just mention each case.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.