Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » When is a story done?

Author Topic: When is a story done?
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the topic has been brought up before, but I'm giving a fresh start to it anyway.

Is a story done when you feel it is perfect or do you still change things up until the day you sell it? After that?

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever feel a story of yours is perfect, don't tell me. I don't like feeling jealous.

As for done, I'm not sure it ever really is. Certainly not when I submit it for publication. I have changed stories after receiving replies. Possibly when it sees print. So far, I haven't changed any of those...

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
A story is as perfect as its going to get when I either sell it or get sick of tweaking it.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
When I've said everything I wanted to say in as few words as possible.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I always think my stories will be perfect if I just take one more pass at them. But then I take pass after pass at them, and it always seems one more pass away. So in the end they're not so much finished as abandoned.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Your story will never ever be perfect. Even after it is published. Trust me on this one. "Respite" is already dated to me, and it was written this year.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Autumn, by "dated" do you mean that you've already surpassed that level of writing?
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Da Vinci said that "art is never completed, its abandoned," or something like that.

I tend to agree with him.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I mean that there are a few word choices that make me cringe now, and some bits that could be smoother. I still think it is a good story, of course. But it is far from perfect.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
A story is never finished, it's allowed to leave (or in some cases kicked out of the house) and find a place in the world in print. If it comes back, it's grounded for a bit and then worked on and begin cycle again. Years later, you run across a print of an old story you did years ago and you think, "Wow, did they pay me for that?".
Some authors tidy the old story up and after a good wash and polish, the verification of who has the rights to it now, it will be reprinted with a lovely forward about how the original version was crap, please don't look for it.

Also
http://www.livejournal.com/users/elizabethbear/3289.html
this is a link to the journal entry or a published author (I found two of her books at my local story and smiled the seven-steps smile).
In this entry she discusses what it's like to be going back over something she wrote years ago and that whole 'dated' thing.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
A story is finished when you either a) can't be bloody well bothered revising the blasted thing anymore or b) hopefully find something else to write, thus totally forgetting all about the previous one you were working on!

Or, if you like, you're done and dusted when you've managed to satisfy all or most of your fellow Hatrackers who have critiqued your story...

... oh, here, wait a minute - if that's the case then I'm buggered. Damn!

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Buggered is an ugly word, Paul. Try...

No no no! Don't go there!

A story is never done. Never, I tell ya. Never!

Just recently, I have been ordered to leave my first alt hist novel alone. Strictly alone. Not one dot may I undot.

It's agony .

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
A story is never done; at some point you just decide to leave the poor thing alone, and go on to torment something else.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.