Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #32 is open

Author Topic: Flash Challenge #32 is open
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Flash Challenge #32 is open.

Thanks to Kathleen for allowing us to post these notices here.

Go to http://www.munsil.net/flash/flash.html to learn why the challenges exist.

We have created around 700 stories since we started, and approximately 3500 critiques.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Trigger Request and Story Submittal and Formatting
--------------------------------------------------------------
1) Please go to http://munsil.net/mike/lhfc.html and click on Trigger Login to log in to see the trigger. When you do, the clock starts.

You will have 90 minutes total to return your story by submitting it.

2) Please go to http://munsil.net/mike/lhfc.html and click on Submittal Login to log in to the submittal page. When you submit, the clock stops.

3) Please include the title and a word count at the start of your submittal, in the following format: Story Title - ### words

You will not receive a separate response that we have your submittal.

If you have any problems, please email mikemunsil. I'll get to you when I can. If you cannot log in to submit, email me the story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use bbcode in the text of your submittal to have italics, bold or underlined text show up in your story when it is posted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/faq.php?mode=bbcode to learn how.

Entry is strictly by invitation. ANYONE who registers without first receiving an invitation will find that their username is blocked forever.

Any member can sponsor a person and I or another admin will issue the invite.

Liberty Hall is located at http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/index.php .

Also see here: http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10821#10821

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me almost nostalgic. I think the last one I did was #15.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, in light of the cliquishness question, and re-reading the standard text of the notice, I think I should explain the business about entry by invitation only.

It isn't because we don't want you there, or think you're not good enough. It's because I'm committed to protecting the members from spammers and juvenile flamers and to protecting the writer's rights to their work.

That's ALL it is about.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 04, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mary for moderating this challenge!!!
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my HECK!!! I just MIGHT have time to do it this week!!! Oh my HECK!!!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't get into LH. And I thought I was in the clique! Now the site won't let me in. Did somebody change my password? Is there a clique for former cliquers?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited November 06, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm proud to say that I actually flashed this week. The last time I managed was either a flash in the late teens or early twenties, so I'm proud. Oliver and anyone else who hasn't done it in a while, you should give it another shot.

Really gets those creative juices flowing, which in my case at least means I am more productive in other areas of writing during weeks where I have flashed.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Wverything looks fine, Kolona, but I went ahead anyway and reset your password and emailed it to you, as well as your trigger/submittal password and username.

Please let me know if you are still having problems.

Mike

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Autumn! Last week was my first week in quite a while; it was good to be back. I sat this one out (my entry would be DQ anyhow), and will think about doing it next week. I second Autumn's suggestion to those who haven't done it in a while.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
And Minister won, which makes it doubly-good that he's back.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

DQ means 'disqualified'. We have very stringent rules for entries in the challenges to be eligible for the voting. Some people have even gone so far as to mutate DQ into "Dairy-Queened", which makes me wince every time I see it.

Minister is DQ this time because he won last time. He won the right to provide the trigger for this week's challenge. He can still flash, and his flash will be critiqued, but he won't be in the voting this week.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 07, 2005).]

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I keep wanting to do the FLASH, but the time constraints keep me from committing. Most of the times when I have 90 minutes in a row to write, I use it to write on my WIP instead. And the time it takes to critique other people was pretty significant. I did find the Flash challenge to be just that... a challenge. Trying to come up with a beginning, middle, and end... nevermind a plot... in that amount of time was mindboggling. I may just have to suck it up pretty soon and dive in again. It was a lot of fun.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I was bummed that I didn't get in this weekend to do it. I need my juices to get flowing a bit more, and the 90 min Flash is the best thing when I have a week of being stumped.

Elan, you should try the longer challenge. That's the one I'm doing this time, just to get some more material in my box and excercise my brain.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

True, we do have a week-long challenge now, as well. And Notebored has a Polish challenge, polish as in to make better, that is.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Every time I see that, I read it as in of Polish descent.
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, me too.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.