Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How would you describe this stance?

Author Topic: How would you describe this stance?
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Right elbow in left hand
Chin between right thumb and forefinger
One eyebrow raised.

Or do you just say "I eyed him with suspicion."

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my chin on my hand, and raised an eyebrow.

I rubbed my chin. (More an expression of thought than suspicion.)

?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
"My suspicion must have been obvious from my stance; he put his hands up in quick defense.

'You've got it all wrong,' he said."

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
I struggle with this myself. To "Show" or to "Tell" is the question. If you show too much, then you have painted a mental picture that you expect the reader to visualize exactly the same way as you have. If you show a little and tell a little, then the reader has the leeway to visualize a personalized version of a picture you have merely suggested.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
He stood like Truman Capote.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are in first person, "I looked upon him with suspicion" or something that simple.

If you are in third person, Limited and its your PoV character: Stroking his chin, he eyed them with suspicion.

If you are in third person limited and the character is not your Pov Character ; John held his chin with his hand and looked upon Mike with a slight squint to his eye.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
"I could not cross my arms for it might appear haughty and possibly invoke his wrath. So I aborted the motion in midair and sought to brace my elbow in a protective hand, hoping to seem thoughtful as I pondered his question.

His stare continued, so to hide my telltale tremor as well as to appear more harmless, I cupped my chin into my gun hand, raising a quizzical eyebrow. He tightened his grimace so I knew he misinterpreted my stance as one of suspicion rather than overt aggression."

Too wordy.

K2

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.