Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ergonomics

Author Topic: Ergonomics
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda a writing topic, so...

Earlier this year---woops, last year, now---I bought a new computer. The computer is fine, a vast improvement over my last one in speed and power. But the keyboard is not.

It's much harder to type on this than it was before. After a few hundred words, my hands and wrists get tired and sore. I can keep going on it by forcing myself---but it can't be good for me. Also the buttons seem small for my big hands and I'm always going back and correcting mistakes.

Now, as a postal worker, I'm familiar with repetitive motion syndromes and such, even suffering from it enough once to see a doctor about it. (Swollen tendons, he told me, which more or less went away by themselves after that particular portion of the job vanished.) At work, I go to great lengths now to avoid this sort of thing, even opening up a towel machine in the bathroom to roll the towels off the spindle, rather than using the lever that causes my shoulder to ache when I try to manipulate it. It's almost an art in itself.

But it's something to keep in mind here, at home, while writing. It's either figure out how to do so without hurting myself, or be reduced to dictating my stories---and I can't give dictation.

My keyboard, and my previous keyboard, were very much in the line of "Well, this is the one that came with my computer---are there any others?" But I know there are "ergonomic keyboards" and such available for sale. I've looked at them, but am hesitant to buy one. (I usually am with any appliance---it took me four years to settle down enough to buy a second TV for my bedroom.)

Anybody have any experiences with one? Good, bad, indifferent? Experiences to share? Some way of coping I haven't heard of or thought of?

(I might continue but my hands and wrists are starting to ache...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
There are ergononic keyboards, but if you didn't have problems with the old one, why not use it? Also, did your physical layout change? See if raising or more likely lowering the keyboard helps. For me, I found that changing from a mouse to trackball was a big help.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Robert,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Nothing worse than having to literally suffer through your art. Sometimes it's hard enough to write without physical pain attached to the process.

One suggestion I have for you may or may not be what you are looking for--speech recognition. The software has become much better than in the past and relatively inexpensive (under $100.00 for a basic package). Now this isn't for everybody, but I do know a couple of people who have used it successfully to write rough drafts, and editing would still need to be done by hand, but I think it might be a good option for you.

If you have a newer machine, you shouldn't have a problem finding a software package that will run on it fairly well. I would suggest 'Dragon Naturally Speaking' if you want to give it a try, but there are a lot of different software options out there now. Some of them even have free trials for a month or so so you could give it a go without costing anything.

By the way, I found this doesn't work well for me, but then again I don't have the necessary situation to force me to make it work.

Anyway, I hope you find something that lets you keep writing without the physical pain. The mental pains of writing... Well, that's another matter.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Keyboards are cheap, and as has been pointed out, you can use the old one. (Unless your computer is a laptop.) An "ergonomic" one probably isn't too expensive, either.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, if the old one wasn't a problem, use that!

My ergo keyboard is the basic Microsoft one you find at any computer store. I think it's about $40. It took me about 1/2 an hour to get used to it - it's a little odd at first - but that passes quickly.

For me using a mouse is very bad, so I've learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts. I also use vr software when things are very difficult. There's also a lot you can do with chair height, keyboard height, posture, etc. It may require a lot of experimenting.

Another useful thing is to stretch before you begin typing, and take a break every hour or so and stretch again. Massage, particularly the deeper structural modalities, is very useful.

One useful book is "It's Not Carpal Tunnel" by Suparna Demany and Jack Bellis.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Buy usually has it's various keyboards out so you can test their key pressure and feel. Same with most office stores.

About $100 will get you any keyboard there and some are much much much cheaper. Most are $40-80.

My personal favorite are the Microsoft Natural keyboards. My wrists are shot from sword fighting, so comfort in a keyboard is important. Find one you like and buy two.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, there. I'm a physical therapist (when I'm not writing), so I have a few recommendations.

An ergonomic keyboard will help, but the most important things is how you're positioned while typing. Ideally, you want your elbows at your sides (as opposed to away from your body like you're doing the chicken dance) and bent to about 90 degrees. The ergonomic keyboards help to keep your forearms in a neutral position, rather than squished together in front of your body like regular keyboards or laptops do. Also, you want the top of your computer screen level with your eyes. I could go on and on about other factors, but you only asked about the keyboard, so I'll refrain...although, if you want more info, I'd be more than happy to elaborate.

Beyond all that, if you notice that the pain starts after, let's say, you've typed for 30 minutes, then STOP at 25 minutes, before the pain begins, and do some stretches. The doctor may have shown you some, but if he/she didn't, you can find a few basic ones in a stretching book.

Hope this helps. That'll be one hundred dollars, cash accepted. Ha, ha, just kidding.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Six interesting replies in the course of a day...six *very* interesting replies. I'm appreciative and intrigued. Let me see what I can comment on.

(1) Oddly enough, I did poke at keyboards at Office Max and Best Buy today. I was a little put off by nearly all the "ergonomic" models being "wireless"...I'd rather just have it hooked by a cord to my computer in the traditional manner, but that's just me. They seemed to feel fine...but none were actually hooked up to anything so it's difficult to judge.

(2) I hardly ever sit at the computer and type for more than a half hour straight, and even then, I might get up in the middle of it. (I'm often online for more than that...but I'm not typing continuously.)

(3) I hadn't thought about the mouse...but about a year after getting my first computer I did move it from my right hand to my left hand because of an achy right hand. No troubles on the left so far, at least as far as hands go.

(4) I hadn't considered height-of-chair at all...I am a little above it right now. But I think my chair is down about as far as it will go. I'll ponder raising the computer---it's on a cheap table and not a proper desk---or getting a lower chair.

Thanks, all, and if anybody has anything more to say, keep 'em coming...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I started using the Microsoft Natural keyboard several years ago and it made a dramatic difference in both my typing speed and comfort.

I was not a touch typist but the ergo keyboards with the split letter force you to use proper typing form and I benefited greatly from it.

That said, they do take some getting used to, especially if you hunt and peck. The payoff is worth it though...your biggest problem will be that at work you still have a standard keyboard and at home you will have an ergo one.

Good luck, all the messages here have good solid advice.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If anybody is actually *interested* in this topic anymore, today I bought a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, installed the software and plugged it in, and this is the first substantial thing I've typed out on it. It'll take some getting used to. So far, my left hand seems to handle it better than my right...the wrist support is much welcome...and I already had to retype this because I mistyped my password. Further comments as merited...
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I switched to a laptop not too long ago, and I hate the keyboard... maybe I'll look for a USB ergonomic keyboard.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I love my laptop because of the touchpad. It's much easier on my RSI than is even my trackball.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
If things really get bad, you may want to consult with a good Occupational or Physical Therapist, preferably one also certified as an Assistive Technology Practitioner (go to www.resna.org to find one in your area).

There's so much more to ergonomics than the keyboard you're using, and many more devices that can provide support to your arms and hands, or even eliminate the need for using hands altogether. A good PT/OT will look at all the factors from your sitting position (it all starts with the hips) to the type of chair you use, to the various heights and angles invloved. A certified ATP will know about devices - which are usually not at all expensive - that you can use if needed.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a new keyboard because I couldn't type well with my old one. This one is taking some getting used to put the keys are easier to press.

I have a similar problem though it is better than it was. Blood flow is a problem and stress and bad posture make it worse. Essentially the hands should be below the elbows for good blood flow which will ease the ache. Low screens tend to cause bad posture which reduces blood flow through the shoulders. Stretching occasionally does help as does walking around loosening up the arms.

But never use a bad keyboard. Also try to find a mouse which fits your hand well.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents to add--coming from the viewpoint of a piano teacher teaching proper hand position to students.

There's a REASON pianists have developed proper hand position, and it's because of repetetive motion injuries that have plagued them for centuries--ruined a few illustrious careers as well. The above advice is absolutely correct on posture and arm position, but there's MORE!!!

The wrists should always be flat, the hands extending in a straight line from the arm. The wrists should not be dropped below this straight line, nor raised above it. The majority of the motion should be in the fingers, and any wrist motion should be side to side, not up and down. (There are certain specific exceptions to this in Piano, but they don't apply to punching a computer keyboard.)

My current keyboard has a hand rest in front of it the helps greatly to keep my wrists straight, while allowing me to rest my hands on it. The balls of my palms rest on the hand rest while my fingers fly over the keys.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I can't rest my wrists on anything because the pressure irritates the carpel tendons.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Not even one of those gel things? It's like a waterbed for your wrists.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

They are okay, but they are a second choice to resting my elbows and having my wrists free.
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman, I've seen a device that has two arms which clamp to a table. The arms have joints that swivel in the horizontal plane. At the end of each arm is a cup-like shape that supports the forearms near the elbow.

A good PT or OT should be able to fins you something similar.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.