Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Another question about DNA & a plotline

Author Topic: Another question about DNA & a plotline
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

I saw that Clove already has a question about DNA, but this one is a bit different so I started a new thread rather than confuse his one. Sorry if it seems too similar.

This one is for all you science buffs:

In the near future, there is a scanning technology used to identify people. It works by taking a minute sample of your DNA and analysing it to see who you are. In this way, you can pay for things without the need for carrying a credit card around and suchlike.

However, there is some kind of a disaster occuring that is going to destroy the world & the only way to prevent it from happening is to send people back in time.

Now then, the mechanism for time travel relies on the DNA of individuals having a certain very rare structure. So all the scanning machines in the world have been programmed to identify this rarity when they scan people. Hence my character is dragged out of his normal environment and sent begrudgingly through space and time to save the day.

So, I guess my questions are:

1) Is the use of DNA to identify individuals theoretically possible?

2) Anyone know of any rare DNA sequences that would only appear in say 6 people in the whole world?

Thankyou.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
1: Yes
2: No clue. A dna strand is very long...million (maybe billions) of genes in them. So could there be some oddity that would limit...yes. Now to get some magic number of 6, you probably would need a combo. Everyone having a particular gene, but not having a group of others. That would make it more believable that you would only end up with a handful. You might want to think about physical and mental conditions as well. Just because someone is the right match doesn't mean they are physically able to survive the transfer...or mentally sound enough to survive it either.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't neccessarily say that I am a science buff--but my major is biology (emphasis pre-veterinary medicine )
I think it is plausable that people could be identified by their dna. People are identified by their dna all the time for paternity tests and crimes. They use a process called electrophoresis--this is where they put the DNA in to small wells in a little gell and run electricity through the gel--the DNA particales are carried by the electricity, the smaller particles go farther and the pattern that results after a certain amout of time is unique to each individual person. They then photo copy the pattern onto paper because the gel is fragile (If you watch crime shows this is the little paper with lines on it that they try and match the lines with.) The only issue with DNA identification as you are suggesting is the time length, Electrophoresis takes time (at least a day or possibly I week--I can't remember) In order to have immediate feedback, you'd have to possibly explain how electrophoresis has been sped up or explain a different way for identifying the DNA.
It is difinatly possible for someone to have a unique sequence of DNA. DNA is often mutated when it replicates while in the individual cells it doesn't matter, when the mutated DNA is passed on to another person, that person has it in all of their cells. I think there is a genetic disease that only six children in the world have (I can't remember what it's called) Just remember that if this person has a part of their DNA that is different than everyone else, they must have some characteristic that is different too. It could be subtle but just something because DNA shows itself through things like color of our eyes or stuff like that (it could even be a immunity to a certain disease too or a unique disease--pretty much anything about us physically is controlled by DNA)
Well, I guess I've rambled on enough. I hope I was helpful.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Yeah.
Very helpfull so far. Thanks very much.
Just need to try and identify an extremely rare condition now that my MC and 5 others can have that is related to DNA.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
benskia, in your future world with the id cards, wouldn't the people with this long-sought condition be identified very early in their life? the way you've described it, it sounds as if your hero stops to buy a pack of gum and the reader says "hey! you're a time traveler! get back to the 1980s pronto!" No doubt you've left a lot out and I am misinterpreting - but it seems to me that if he were so special, they'd already know, and his "normal environment" wouldn't be so normal.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zodiaxe
Member # 3106

- posted      Profile for Zodiaxe   Email Zodiaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
From a law enforcement standpoint, I am a former Homicide Detective with the City of New Orleans, DNA has its drawbacks for identity purposes. The December 2002 issue of Ripperologist, published an article I wrote, "The Legal Aspects of Mitochondrial DNA in Criminal Proceedings." It was written to clarify the claim that best selling mystery writer Particia Cornwell made that mitochondrial DNA retrieved from the back of a 116 year old envelope could be used as evidence to name French Impressionist painter Walter Sickert as the infamous Jack the Ripper. In the article, I give a run down of both mitochondrial and nuclear DNA.

Nuclear DNA is extremely discriminating and can place a person at the scene of the crime and identify them with 99% accuracy; however, the problem arises when an identical twin or subsequent sibling sharing the exact same egg and sperm is concerned. Identical twins have the same DNA pattern and the DNA will not differentiate between the two. In order for detectives to determine which twin, triplet etc pulled the trigger, we need fingerprints.

Patterns, such as the familiar patch work quilt patterns on Calico cats, stripes on tigers and Zebras and fingerprints on humans are not replicated in DNA.

Peace,
Scott

[This message has been edited by Zodiaxe (edited January 10, 2006).]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Hi.
Thanks for the input Beth.
Let me clarify this a bit better.

The guy isn't special. He's just an everyday Jo Shmo.

It's just that there's this need to send people back in time so that they can resolve the disaster. However, the catch is that the machine that can send people back in time, will destroy anyone apart from those with this particular DNA configuration. So the people best skilled, trained or knowledgable dont get to go. They have to send in random people who just happen to have the correct make up.

TBH...I'm trying to come up with a way to dump a few random folks together and give them a mystery to solve and mission to accomplish. A bit like lost. But I figured I cant really have a plain crash, so I have to assemble my motley crew some other how.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
For research and believability purposes, it might be useful for you to identify a disease or trait that matches your specifications, and model your story disease or trait after it. However, you're writing fiction! You can easily make something up that fits all of your specifications, as long as you know enough to make it a believable invention.

In my WIP, one of my characters contracts an invented condition, which I modeled after Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease so it could have a believably related set of symptoms along with the ultimate desired disease course. However, the fictional condition has nothing to do with the real one; I took some liberties according to what I needed for my story. My point is, you could do the same...or you could invent a grouping of traits that will identify your character. All you have to do is sell it so your readers will believe it.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The genetic code is made up of three-letter 'codon's. Only the letters A C T and U are used and U is rere because it only occurs when C breaks down due to circumstancse like a virus.

AAA, ACT, TUT...

just make up something like

"We need 'Quad TUTs'" where Quad TUTS are people with four TUT codons in a row on Chromosome 22

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
For help with this time travel by genetic defect idea read Time Traveller's wife. Its not "hard" sci-fi but its still pretty good contemporary sci-fi.

Also look to Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovach books for DNA stuff. But again this is "hard" sci-fi but he uses it well.

Note: to me "hard" sci-fi gives the scientific foundation for a technology in use rather than simply saying

Character X licked his thumb and dna from his silva let the computer identitfy him (very rough paraphrase from Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan)

or

Character Y has a genetic mutation that lets him move through time. Its uncontrollable and sometimes dangerous since he can't take anything on these trips ie he arrives somewhen naked as a jay bird (very rough sketch of Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenneger)

This in comparison to A "hard" sci-fi author tries to give me the physics/biology of the event.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited January 10, 2006).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, for me just as a reader, I would have no hard time buying a plotline like that just as you described it. If this is a Joe Shmo, he isn't going to get it if someone is explaining to him "we need chain ACTUUCAACT in chromosome 23 for this to work" or some scientific lingo. I would think all you really have to say is have someone explain (I assume someone will have to explain this part of the plotline to him at some point) that there is a very specific genetic pattern required for the machine not to kill you, and he has it. Let that person explain, qualitatively, that this marker is so rare that on the entire planet there may be only 3,7,10, something in those number of people who fit the requirement.

For me as a reader, I don't think I would need to hear what chromosome, what disease, or what anything else they're talking about. It's just something specific about his DNA that makes him a candidate by random chance.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, as a reader, I'd have to ask:

If they can create a time-travel device in the first place, how come they can't decide who it transfers?

Now, something that would work for me is that the device pick up a random six people off of the face of the earth.

But I don't know if that helps further your plot at all.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
hey! the bad guys could make a disease designed to target the specific genetic strain! Easy to administer if the time-traveller kids are all rounded up in one spot.

Is the genetic strain limited to a single racial group?

Perhaps all the timetraveller DO get murdered with a disease like this. Maybe genetic scientists are breeding new timetravellers but it will take 20 years for the subjects to get to maturity. In the interim your MC with the right genetic strain may be discovered living in a commune of hippy drop-outs who deliberately fly under the genetic radar. Not only can he save the day but he has a built-in job when he gets back, training up the time-travelling kids and maybe he is subversive enough to imbue them with his own brand of pseudo-hippy rebel ideas

Think about the soviet attempts to homogenise the crops grown by their peasants. There were bands of agricultural rebels in the hills of Tajikistan etc, who resited the idea and hid up traditional crop seeds against a time when they could grow them again.

Now that the soviet regime has come to an end, the rebel farmers are growing their traditional varieties again. Western scientists are going into these remote communities and bioprospecting -- seeking out genes that will strengthen the food crops of the west.

Recently I asked a similar question about time travel and was told to be careful of the grandfather paradox. I ditto that to you.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 10, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Nice one.
Some stimulating ideas there.

Also, I'm not so sure about the grandfather / son parodox. This guy is gonna find out he's going back to kill another version of himself that was sent back in time the first time around, but was sent with the wrong message.

See...seeing as there's only a very rare number of people with the syndrome. Only he can go back and do it. Argghhh.

Lol...Perhaps not though.
My main objective for setting this up is so that I have a reason for the people to be isolated together & throw some mysterious goings on at them at the same time.

[This message has been edited by benskia (edited January 10, 2006).]

pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
how can he go back to kill himself?

You need to creativly avoid the paradox.

so he got sent back in 2004 to kill the self that went back in 2005? wont work because the 2005 self would have the 2004 memory.

Unless, he has the memory and the 2005 self learns something and goes back anyway, knowing that if his memories serve correctly he killed the 2005 self(him now) but he has to change that somehow to save the world.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
one version of the time travelling joke goes as follows

A brilliant physics professor annnounces a major breakthrough and says he'll describe it to everyone tomorrow. The next day he announces he's discovered how to time travel. Later that day he's teaching a class and everyone on campus crowds into hear him hoping he'll give them the full story when suddenly a man walk into the room and rushes at him with a knife but right as the knife was to cut him the man and knife dissappear. Needless to say this causes quite a stir and all the newspapers cover it. the next day he's teaching a different class and a man almost exactly like the first comes into the room pulls a gun and fires but the professor isn't hurt and the man gun and bullet are all gone.

So the next day CNN shows up on campus to see if the mysterious assassin tries again.

The entire class session goes smoothly and when the professor leaves the CNN reporter asks him "Professor Why do you think the assassin didn't come today?"

The professor replied "I decieded to never have children."

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited January 10, 2006).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
It would take a ridiculous amount of processing power to literally scan the whole DNA for simple day to day stuff. I remember my biology professor saying that one person's DNA converted into binary data would take up 9 CDs. Now I know processing capacity gets bigger all the time, but it's likely that DNA identification will tend to go in the direction of fingerprint mapping, where only the relevant bits needed to distinguish between individuals are recorded rather than the whole thing.

But something that could tie into your theory of time travel is if the DNA were converted into an image with sound, and only people who's DNA produce a certain combination of frequencies would survive the time travel. So basically, they try to transport a bunch of people but most of them show up inside out and exploding. ("I'm doing alright with the pig-lizard!")

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one.

Paradox isn't a problem if you're planning to actually change the past (or prevent it from being changed). If it's possible in the first place, then self consistency isn't required.

For your science, take the mushroom approach. None of your main characters really understands why it works. At a guess, I'd venture that the qualifying characteristic is that you're genetically identical to a physically similar person living in the target time period (get this, perhaps only the mind of the traveler is sent back, like in Clap Hands and Sing). So almost anyone could go back in time a few months or years, but they need to send someone back to whenever.

Or perhaps the time travel process requires the subject to be chemically prepped somehow, and they've established that, between a certain combinations of genetic resistances common to these people, they might survive being injected with the chemicals that are needed to port someone through.

My initial idea was that the genetic requirement was consistency based, but if you're going to be changing the past anyway, causality violation isn't a problem.

Electro porwhatsis can take a varying amount of time, depending on what length of fragments you're analyzing and whatnot. In a future advanced enough to have time travel, I'd expect that they'd use a different process anyway...perhaps rad-tagged t-RNA to make the codon sequence scannable by a hyperminiaturized CCD. Um, feel free to use acronyms more impenetrable than those if you don't want to give a lecture on the subject.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.