Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » James Frey: Fact or Fiction

Author Topic: James Frey: Fact or Fiction
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Frey is on the confession/denial circuit, instead of the Oprah Book Club round up, I was wondering, have any of you read his "memoir?"

My wife read it and loved it. And she wasn't all that freaked out when it became known that he fabricated some of it.

I was about to read it, but now I get kind of sick when I think about it.

We live in a world where ghostwriters pen books for Nicole Richie and Ivana Trump. Does anyone question their authenticity? Does anyone care?

Are we mad at Frey for lying (which he did) or are we envious of his success? For me, it’s both I guess.

And if you have no idea what I’m talking about here’s a linky-poo.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/jamesfrey/0104061jamesfrey1.html

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel nothing but pity for anyone who believes that any autobiography is purely factual.

Embellishment is an autobiographer's perogative.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first chapter and got annoyed by the capitalization and didn't read on.

Not only did he make up a lot of it (complete fabrications, not just exaggerations), but there are now allegations that he plagiarized bunches of it from a book called Another Day in Paradise.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of it until this week. A non-fiction book about everyday life would've put me off anyway. Even now, when it's revealed to be fiction, it's mainstream nature is offputting. Anyway, I know real people who have reformed, why do I need to read a book about it?

I've never checked the Oprah Book Club for recommendations. What SF&F books are on her list?

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Never saw or heard of it until this plagiarism / exaggeration story broke...somewhat unusually, I think, because I usually notice when Oprah deals us another one, even though I don't watch her show or read her choices.

Can't recall any overt SF or fantasy on her list, but I certainly don't have a copy of it. Maybe one of the literary works could be considered fantasy without the actual label. (Was Toni Morrison's "Beloved" on Oprah's short list?)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
What bothers me about this guy is that he's sort of like Milli Vanilli. They made mad loot, but along the way a lot of people––their producers, their agent, and their label––all knew they were a fraud. And they didn't care.

Now here's Frey, who in prior interviews said his work was entirely factual, now caught in a series of lies. He's a fiction writer, oh well, stuff happens; he’s taking his lumps. But what about the people around him?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Lying is a remnant behavior from those days when the drug addict/alcoholic was out of control. It takes some people a lifetime to grips with the fact that lying, as a strategy for success, doesn't work. (My personal theory is that telling the truth is so much SIMPLER, because it's easier to remember what you've said.)

A friend of mine who is familiar with the AA program talks about the "dry drunk"... just because the person isn't imbibing the chemical doesn't mean their addictive behaviors and personality have changed much.

It is pretty common for people with some sort of dysfunction, be it drug abuse, alcoholism, anger, you name it... to have a deep and personal transformation. So they turn around and try to give back to society by teaching their method and telling their story. Problem is, they haven't healed completely. They are in the PROCESS of healing, but life is the journey -- not the goal. Then when they backslide, they do it in a pretty spectacular, and public, fashion.

I'm a little more jaded about some of these self-help authors. I used to work for a church that had folks like this coming in on a regular basis, to deliver sunday sermons and to give workshops and retreats. I know WAY too much personal background information about a lot of these folks to embrace them as some sort of "in touch" guru. (I admit I have never met Frey, btw.)

From personal experience, I can tell you the "self-help" lecture circuit is an industry, just like any other. People scratch each others backs, there are prima donas and dysfunctional gurus and you name it. It doesn't take away anything from the fact that lots of people DO find help in what they write. But one must always keep in mind the fact that these people are human, and many of them are working out their dysfunctional behaviors on a big stage. All I can say is: "Glad it ain't me."

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited January 13, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
(My personal theory is that telling the truth is so much SIMPLER, because it's easier to remember what you've said.)

My operating position and philosophy exactly. Though I like to preserve the flexibility of being able to lie, if at all necessary...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Telling the truth is far more complex, it involves discovering both the truth and the correct parsing for communicating the truth. Lies can usually be told by rote.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that book by Martha Nibley Beck on Oprah's book club or was she on the show, or was it more a point that she was on Oprah's staff?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.