Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Kook Letter Writing Campaign (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kook Letter Writing Campaign
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo...I'm thinking of putting some money where my mouth is, or rather, putting my words where there's some power.

Basically, I'm thinking of writing to various people and telling them about my great plan to deploy militia groups to combat areas as part of the U.S. forces under something of a "freedom fighters" model. Now a couple of things come to mind.

First off, I've explained the concept behind this idea in outline, but never gone into great detail because I feel that the main strength of the program would be it's flexibility. So...would it be a good idea for me to use some kind of blog to "brainstorm" the issues involved and present a variety of more detailed alternatives, or should I just start writing?

A related point, my more subtle efforts to start this ball rolling have all come to naught. Should I definitely aim for an organized publicity campaign model, even though that kind of thing makes my teeth hurt? Would it be unreasonable to hope that someone with the necessary organization/promotional skills would "just show up"? Or should I plan to assume most of the burden of actually doing this? I guess that depends on whether my ideas gain any currency, which is a hard thing to predict.

A third point...while I have experience with serving in the U.S. military, I don't have any experience being part of a militia or even something like ARMA or SCA. I mean, I've never even played laser tag/paintball (excluding certain training exercises in the Army, which I don't count because...I was in the Army, you know). I don't even belong to any FPS clans or anything (I like multiplayer FPS, but I'm not up to the social commitment of being part of a clan).

Does that make me seem more or less credible as a proponent of deploying homegrown militia as freedom fighters? I think that it cuts both ways, frankly. And certainly I would like to join a militia group if we could actually deploy. But...seriously speaking, this BBS is the closest I've come to joining a militia.

Anyway, I'm not asking anyone to join my kook campaign, but if you have any ideas about how such a thing out to be carried out, I'm open to ideas. Remember, this is a non-fiction oriented discussion, so no telling me to recruit Evil Zombie Robot Monkeys or anything like that This is mostly about kook letter writing, which I've never really tried before (I've written emails to a couple of personalities telling them I loved their shows/columns and they should keep up the good work, but that's about it).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to send your local militia groups to Afghanistan as part of some kind of cooperative venture with the US military?

What?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Or are they going to the Mexican border?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Afghanistan would be okay, though I was really thinking about Iraq (and who knows, maybe Iran). Mexico would be out of the question, that's just asking for trouble.

Really, though, I'm more interested in figuring out how I should start a kook letter writing campaign. The particular issue doesn't matter except to give you all an idea of just how far outside the mainstream this particular idea currently falls. I mean, right now I don't know of anyone other than myself who is advocating this kind of thing. There are more people trying to get registered vendetta killings encoded into U.S. law, so far as I can tell. Not that I have any problem with the registered vendetta idea, I'm just making a comparison.

Remember, thirty years ago many "smart" people thought that having a draft was a good idea because an all volunteer army would only be composed of merciless thugs who only wanted to satiate their mindless bloodlust. I know that plenty of those people still think that's the only reason anyone would join the military, but by and large most reasonable people now think that point of view has been proven incorrect. So please don't pan my idea. I just want to know how to be an effective kook, not whether I should be one in the first place.

So how do you go about starting a campaign of this sort? I mean, these things gotta start somewhere, right? Do I have to become famous and expound my views at an awards ceremony, or is there some more proletarian means of putting a concept on the radar? I've already tried just letting nature take its course (my usual approach), and nothing seems to be happening.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

You'll want to network with the other kooks.

In this case, that probably means militia members; I am not sure who else would be interested in advocating your proposal. I'm not in touch with the militia circuit and it's been years since I paid much attention to them, but if I wanted to hook up with them, I'd start with freerepublic.com and look for pointers to militia organizations.

I'd also contact the Southern Poverty Law Center; they do a lot of work tracking and monitoring militias. They would have absolutely no interest in supporting your crackpot scheme, but should be a good resource for identifying militias to contact to enlist in your scheme.

Probably some sort of web page or blog would be useful for the cause.

You should also look for militia gatherings in your area; meeting people in person can be very effective.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I mean, who are you tryign to get your message to? Little old ladies in Scottsdale? No, you want to mobilize the militias and get them into combat. Convince them first.

Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, I want to convince Congress that this is a good idea. I'm not advocating doing anything illegal. Or rather, I'm suggesting that the law should be changed.

But yes, I suppose contacting militias would be a good idea. Maybe the NRA too? This kinda seems to fit in with the whole right to bear arms thing, in a way. On the other hand, I believe that the NRA holds to the interpretation that...well, I'll check it out.

Beth
Member # 2192

Right. First you've got to convince the people who will actually be implementing your crackpot scheme.

The NRA itself may not be willing to support you, but I suspect networking with its members would be useful.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well in theory, the second amendment is actually supposed to be your right to form such a militia.

Now in practice since most people don't want to hassle with the money needed to house, feed, train and arm a standing army or even say a citizen-army no one does this anymore.

Further more even in the five wars (Rev, 1812, Mexican, both sides of the Civil War and Spanish), America used "volunteer" forces rather that just draftees/standing armies those volunteers were still subject to a regular army command. This doesn't include the various Indian battles/Wars fought over the years that won Jackson, Harrison and Lincoln among others some of their respective fame Take the Civil War or the Spanish American war as some of your best examples of this volunteer concept working.

T Roosevelt put together a 1000 men or so and got made Col. So you could put together say 500 people, call your self a Major or some such notify the state and ATF of your intention to set up an armory and depot for your militia.

Then go from there.

Edit i hate my format mistakes

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited January 28, 2006).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I don't think he's concerned about whether this is constitutional so much as how to convince people this is a *good idea.*

step one: connect with the other kooks. If even they think it's a bad idea, you're certainly not going to get anywhere with Congress.

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, but I don't want to bother with anti-American kooks who want to overthrow the government or anything. Obviously they're not going to be much help in defending America.

Duh.

Also, I'm not looking to start a new Guard unit or anything like that. I'd like to fundamentally change the way we raise an army, and...accelerate certain changes in the model used to command a modern army in the field.

So far I'm contacting the SPLC to see if they're really as myopically opposed to this idea as Beth seems to think they'll be. I mean, anything that stops people from feeling like it's okay to join anti-American militia's has to be good, right?

I'm also contacting their "intelligence" program to see if they keep tabs on paramilitary groups that are more interested in defending democracy than killing other Americans.

Survivor
Member # 213

I also wrote the NRA, basically the same stuff but worded a bit differently, and both messages were combined since they don't have multiple contacts.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Um... is this about writing a story?

Because if it's about doing this for real, it feels really off-topic to me. I have very strong feelings about what's going on in the middle east, and if this BBS turns into a pro-war hoorah for killing, I'm outta here....

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC would pull the plug on the forum if it evolved into that. Remember that he is paying for this site from his own pocket and has every right to do that.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by Elan:
Um... is this about writing a story?

Who says every post has to be about writing a story? This forum is titled 'Open Discussions About Writing'...and we don't merely discuss fiction writing (although such talk is the majority). I've seen many other posts concerning things like recommendation letters, research projects, news items, etc.

I think Survivor is asking for feedback on writing and sending a proposal (in essence, a letter) to recognized bodies that have the power to support or deny his concept.

As long as he doesn't turn this thread into the aforementioned blog on how he plans to actually lay out the concept, there is no reason to get upset. Or hasty, for that matter.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited January 29, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Like Inkwell says, this topic is supposed to be about how to write kook letters effectively. I just mentioned the basic idea to give you all an idea of just how "out there" the idea I'm proposing is, so you wouldn't think I was gonna be writing the exact same letters that everyone else is always writing to their congressional reps.

For further reference, if you want to help me research the actual issue, I wouldn't mind being contacted through the options available at my blog on the subject. You could also get in touch with me through my email posted here, but I generally only use that address for Hatrack related stuff.

As for pro-war hoorah's for killing, Elan, now how long have you known me? When have I ever written anything that wasn't a pro-war hoorah for killing? My major beef with the current war is that not enough Americans are getting killed for the rest of the world to take us seriously, I believe I've mentioned that several times. This is certainly no more pro-war/killing/etc. than anything else I've ever posted.

So don't worry. Nothing has changed here, except that I'm asking for advice on writing rather than dispensing it

Of course, Spaceman's notion of Card pulling the plug on the site just because it's gone south is probably based on something other than a close look at Card's other sites...but don't worry. I'll pull out of the forum if it stops being a writer's forum. Not that doing so would help in any way....

Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm finding this quite interesting. I do hope you keep us posted on how this develops. Strictly from a writing standpoint, you understand, just curious how effective these techniques are at conveying an unconventional idea. Of course. Or maybe not.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I don't think you're going to have any problem convincing people you're a kook. Your prose is clear and simple and never gets in the way of the ideas you're trying to convey.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
what's a militia?

Obviously I know what the word means, but what the heck are you talking about?

Dictionary says:

n 1: civilians trained as soldiers but not part of the regular army [syn: reserves] 2: the entire body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service; "their troops were untrained militia"; "Congress shall have power to provide for calling forth the militia"--United States Constitution

Are you talking about reservists? A 'casual' arm of the military paid by the Department of Defence?

To the topic: I think kook letters work best if you pretend you are someone else, then you can let your kooklomania have free rein.

As part of your question refers to a 'campaign' it indicates a strategy of some type. Aloow the receiver of the letter see that a strategy is being employed without letting know what the strategy is.

Allinaces with other kook-minded folk is not a stratgey but can be part of one. The question is, once the alliances are in place what then? What do you want them to achieve toward your end?

In addition you will need to devise a series of contingencies based on what you think the likely responses will be: If I get response 'A' then I will do employ tactic 1. If I receive repsonse 'B' I will employ tactic 2... that sort of thing, you especially need to have a contingency for the 'What tactic will I employ if I get no response at all.'

Genuine kooks will also make claims about what they are doing and what they think their particular value to the government may be. ie I have developed a weapons training program for second graders that is currently used in four local school to great effect and is under consideration in three more. I know I can adapt this program for second graders federally. (or in other words, Tell them why they need you.)

Whether the claims are baseless or not is another question.

Make it read like a public service document and scare the pants off 'em.

I had to deal with situation X, my theory was that we should do Y, so I did Y and found that Z occurred. As a result we had a Q% increase in capable second grade marksmen.

That sort of thing.

PS: I would not overtly state any political or philosophical standpoint. Allow them to infer what they will, ie get them to argue over whether you are really a harmless kook or something more...

heh heh that was fun.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 29, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

PS: "freedom loving peoples" that's hilarious... exactly what I mean letting them argue over whether you're a kook or not.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, the general idea is not just persuading people that I'm a kook, the basic idea I'm trying to sell does that just fine. I'm actually looking for info on how to make myself seem less like a kook.

I should really have put up the message I sent to the Southern Poverty Law Center, it would have made an interesting contrast, I think. Like, all concentrating on how to find nurturing and non-judgemental ways of channeling the natural enthusiasim of youth yadda yadda. I'm really bummed that I lost it in the process of copying it to file.

Anyway, info on seeming less kooky and more persuasive, that's what I'm looking for here.

Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that this is not really a new idea. I would do a little research with the aim of tying your plan into a famous person or event of the past. If you can make it sound like you are carrying on an heroic American tradition. Anyway, the ones that come to mind for me are Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders, American volunteers at the beginning of WW1, American militia's during the Spanish Civil War, etc. I'm not sure if any of these are similar, but if you can build a case in this manner--it may be more convincing, especially if you make it sound like it is the continuation of an idea embraced by famous Americans of the past. Also, if you can find a famous general who made a case for this form of militia--that would probably help too. Anything to make it sound like it's not just your idea but a greater movement.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well...historically, generals haven't ever been over-fond of militia. Particularly the kind of militia I'm suggesting, which won't have its own generals and won't be under the direct command of generals.

However, as my continued use of the term "militia" implies, this is indeed not a new idea. It's been used sucessfully thousands of times in recorded history.

Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor- Despite your assurances, I just want to make sure that this is still about the writing/persuading bit, not the kook itself. You all talk and talk, but really don't seem to answer it.

Kook is a good word to describe your idea. I think it stands no chance to the mind of any "discerning reader." The use of militia is highly... dangerous?... They aren't the most reliable of troops, and can easily start doing stupid stuff.

Personally, I don't know if your blog will get the best viewership and input, but I guess you never know. I personally have never visited any blog other than my friend's.

Militia has been used in history, successfully, but at what cost? And who will agree to it? It's one thing for units of milita to form here in America, and quite another to send them overseas to the Middle East. nyrr... I can see why this has gotten so off-topic...

Anyway, you say you want to seem less kooky. Well, besides changing your idea entirely, I would suggest providing some more concrete evidence, for example, how you have personally gone out and spoken with X people about their ideas and Y of these X people have agreed. With the help of these Y people, we have come up with measures A, B, and C to properly prepare this militia, which would cost $Q, but would save the military $P in exchange, which leaves a profit of $R. [insert waffle about nurturing and non-judgemental ways of channeling natural enthusiasm, etc... but not too much waffle!] Try to look at it from all standpoints- Administratively, legally, morally, economically, and from the standpoint of the militia.

Which means you're actually going to have to do things. The "subtle efforts" aren't going to get you much consideration, since a man can have bold words, but if he does not act, he will not be taken seriously.

Toodles.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the winning an Award idea. When Michael Moore gave his infamous Oscar acceptance speech, he set a baseline by which everyone else's anti-war behavior looked reasonable. Sort of like Dr. Kevorkian. They knew their behavior was outrageous, but it set the boundary in which the discussion could proceed in a manner that looked comparatively measured. Future generations will say "Well, I'm no Richard Chiu, but I do think blah blah blah"
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the NRA group members would be a good place to go. The NRA, still holds a certain respect, unless your some lukewarm American-Hollywood-type, who flutters from one useless cause to the next. Maybe not the NRA itself, because I think that they would rather be ambiguous about where there intentions lie. Perhaps a petition? or a poll? That may lend some volume to your letter wrtiting. I think it is all about the numbers

Also, a concealed carry permit goes a long way for making a statement to the government. They like to keep track of that stuff you know. The greater the amount of the populous that is armed, sure makes the various government entities sit up and take notice. It is like signing up on a roster. Look at me, I'm packin' heat! No, but seriously, it beats gun control! Take a look at Canada and Australia. We don't want to lose out like they did.

How's that, kooky enough for ya?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I doubt that the authorities---American or otherwise---would be overly fond of a private militia coming into a combat zone. The United States had never been particularly fond of brands of vigilante justice (though there's been plenty of it here and there). And cops and soldiers tend to get a little, well, testy when someone else does their job.

Then again, my experience in these lines consists of voyeurish reading about it. I've never been in the military. I've never done paintballing or lasertagging, either. Having enough stress in my life, I never felt the need to go out and do something that would add more to it. As for somebody drawing a bead on me with a gun...well, I work for the US Postal Service, and, thus, I have to face that every time I go to work.

[edited for bad spelling]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited January 31, 2006).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:
No, but seriously, it beats gun control! Take a look at Canada and Australia. We don't want to lose out like they did.

Another kool kook statement.

To answer your question the best way I can Survivor, I think you have to avoid ALL philosophical, political or emotive statements and treat the subject with cold objectivity. It cannot help your campaign to appear to get your blood up in the writing. Loaded phrases smack of parroted rhetoric rather than serious objective thought and will only harm how the letter is perceived. They may be alright for FOX News that caters for a clear target market but they are no good if you want your letter taken seriously by some grey middle management type.

It sounds like a whole lot of fun. I would be really interested in any responses you might get.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 31, 2006).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

PS: I notice that in the letters there is no attempt to establish your credentials or even invent any. Why would anyone even finish reading the letter?

Another question: what are the connotations of the word kook. Here, it tends to means 'crazy' far more than 'eccentric'.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 02, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

I'm a cyberneticist with a small amount of formal military training, why would I even try to rest on my credentials? And inventing some? You've got to be kidding. Why would I even want the support of anyone so foolish?

Look, I'm aware of the difficulties here. But I'm not here to argue over my idea (KDW would reprimand me for beating up on you on a subject that has nothing to do with writing). I'm just asking for practical advice on the whole advocacy thing.

Right now, I'm thinking that I'll have to develop an inside contact. Man, that's annoying. We'll see.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Adovacy is activism's slightly better looking cousin.

I don't know if you need an inside contact but you might want to look around for other militias. I believe there are several out there but none with the same citzen-solider model that you do.

As to advocating without a lobbyist. Create a creed, code of ethics by-laws, a code of justice etc. Nothing makes people less afraid of someone than if they wrap themselves in bureaucracy and other such formalized garbage

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Man, I have to start my own militia? Who's going to be in it, though? I'd rather start an advocacy group (though the same problem applies, I don't know anyone who'll join--other than people who know me really well, which doesn't count).

I mean, pursuading people to join my cause is the problem, obviously if I had enough people interested in my cause to start a militia that would need by-laws and crap, I would've already solved the problem of getting people to think it's a good idea.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

I don't mean start your own militia but even for your advocacy group it could be helpful.

Take a look at the minuteman project's website (the url escapes me right now)

Its not an active militia but it is a group of like minded individuals

hoptoad
Member # 2145

My advice was to head toward clarity and credibility. You cannot achieve CREDibiltiy without CREDentials. You may need a 'poster-boy' to be your front-man. One with the credibility you lack. Of course that will mean making inside contacts.

Your last posts are clear and direct.

quote:

I'm just asking for practical advice on the whole advocacy thing.

Now we know what you want.

If you were beating up on me it was the the gentlest beat-up I've ever had.

PS: Scour your letters for typos. Remember, clarity and credibility. Yes, I am suggesting that typos and spelling errors will negatively influence how people see your ideas and make it so much easier to ignore them.

Edit:to remove irrelevant comments

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 02, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Minutemen, eh? I'll look into that. But as I said, my formally credentialed training is mostly in computer science.
Survivor
Member # 213

Checked out the "Minuteman" project. I'm sure these are nice guys, but all they're doing is calling the Border Patrol when they spot illegal activity or persons lost in the desert.

On the plus side, their activities are contraversial enough that sometimes the more prominent members get attacked by angry mobs at public events. Something like that would be cool. But I still need to get to the point where enough people even know about me for there to be an angry mob.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask HSO how he does it.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

HSO draws angry mobs? I'm so jealous
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
No, but seriously, it beats gun control! Take a look at Canada and Australia. We don't want to lose out like they did.

quote:
I think you have to avoid ALL philosophical, political or emotive statements and treat the subject with cold objectivity. It cannot help your campaign to appear to get your blood up in the writing. Loaded phrases smack of parroted rhetoric rather than serious objective thought and will only harm how the letter is perceived. They may be alright for FOX News that caters for a clear target market but they are no good if you want your letter taken seriously by some grey middle management type.

The point in True Hero’s quote is a legitimate supportive argument that can be presented with cold objectivity. Simply toning down the emotive portion -- the exclamation mark, for instance -- and undergirding it with facts, statistics, and/or sources, of which there are many, the phrase can emerge neither loaded nor parroted, and appropriate for even FOX News’ clear target market of people seeking relief from the liberal bias of ABC, NBC, CBS.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

HSO must draw angry mobs. Weren't we making lists awhile back of the people he's insulted?
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:

Simply toning down the emotive portion -- the exclamation mark, for instance -- and undergirding it with facts, statistics, and/or sources, the phrase can emerge neither loaded nor parroted.

I have removed the emotive portions. You're right -- it is much more convincing this way.

Edit: clarity

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 03, 2006).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

Yes, hoptoad, but I thought one loaded emotive quote deserved another.

Contrast these two quotes:

quote:
Loaded phrases smack[ing] of parroted rhetoric rather than serious objective thought....may be alright for FOX News that caters for a clear target market

quote:
facts, statistics, and/or sources...are...appropriate for even FOX News’ clear target market of people seeking relief from the liberal bias of ABC, NBC, CBS

Your point in the top quote was to insult the Fox audience. My point was to redeem them. To prove my point, by using facts, sources and statistics , let me quote Evan Thomas, assistant managing editor of Newsweek (hardly a conservative rag), from a July, 2004 Inside Washington, “a weekend discussion show taped at and run by the Gannett-owned CBS affiliate in Washington, DC, WUSA-TV, and carried by many PBS stations across the country." (Note the liberal pedigree here.)
“Thomas pointed out the boost to the Kerry/Edwards ticket provided by the press corps: “There’s one other base here: the media. Let’s talk a little media bias here. The media, I think, wants Kerry to win. And I think they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards -- I’m talking about the establishment media, not Fox, but -- they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards as being young and dynamic and optimistic and all, there’s going to be this glow about them that some, is going to be worth, collectively, the two of them, that’s going to be worth maybe 15 points.”
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2004/cyb20040712.asp

So, yes. Unlike most of the media, Survivor needs objectivity to present his project. Facts, statistics and sources. No emotive kookiness.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Kolona

that statement doesn't prove Fox watchers are not idiots. Nor does it prove that Fox is not a biased network.

it just proves that Fox was not biased for Kerry and therefore would not bend over backward to make kerry look good.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

oh and by the way take it from a trained statistican (though i loathe them)

Mark twain was right.

There are lie, Damned lies and statistics.

How often in these statistics do you actually ask for the r2 value (ie correlation value)? you'd be surprised at how many people actually try to pass off bad statistics as the truth.

Survivor
Member # 213

What the hell are we talking about now?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I could add my thoughts on the trend developing in this thread, but I won't: the tone of political discussion was one of the reasons I dropped out of the Internet Fan Fiction community I used to hang out with. Most of you won't agree with me and I won't agree with most of you, and except for the occasional pithy comment I'd just as soon leave it at that.

Meanwhile...I read that there was some talk after 9 / 11 of trying to get the government to issue "letters of marque and reprisal," along the lines of putting a big bounty on the heads of the terrorists and letting private citizens bring them in dead or alive. Survivor, If you could talk the government into doing that, it might be right up your alley.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Phooey, hoptoad, you changed your post. Now the beginning of my February third one doesn’t make as much sense. Ah well. Still, since there is a confirmed liberal bias in the mainstream media, then the part of my quote that you left off, “and appropriate for even FOX News’ clear target market of people seeking relief from the liberal bias of ABC, NBC, CBS,” was not emotive but factual.

Let’s see, Matt. Certain networks are liberally biased, so people get fed up and switch to Fox. Then there are people who, even in the face of that bias, either continue to deny the bias, or accept it as Mr. Thomas does, and don’t join the exodus to Fox. I know which group I think is wiser, and it’s not the liberal network viewers.

A statistician. Cool. But trust me, after trying to sift through news reports, I’m not at all surprised that people try to pass off bad statistics.

Correlation value – that sounds interesting. I wonder if that’s the key I need for something I was working on. Rather than use up thread space on something wholly off the writing mark (yeah, like it’s not what we’ve already been doing ), may I e-mail you? If you so loathe any statistician-linked exercises and would rather not bother, I’ll understand.

Yes, back to your dilemma, Survivor. If you’re looking to develop legitimate supportive arguments for your proposed project that can be presented objectively, then accurate information properly presented is critical. If citing the results of Canada and Australia’s anti-gun policies are germane to your proposal, although I don’t imagine they are, go for it. Some people will ignore the truth of certain issues no matter how it’s presented, so you’re right to be prepared for the “kook” label.

However, the seriousness of this must start with you. If you label yourself as a kook,

quote:
I'm not asking anyone to join my kook campaign

it’s a sure thing others will follow your lead:
quote:
You'll want to network with the other kooks.

Begin the establishment of your credibility by treating your concept the way you want it to be received. Words matter.

quote:
Would it be unreasonable to hope that someone with the necessary organization/promotional skills would "just show up"? Or should I plan to assume most of the burden of actually doing this?

A plan is always better than a hope.

In light of Robert’s suggestion, you might contact Ron Paul, U. S representative from Texas, who introduced the Air Piracy Reprisal and Capture Act of 2001, and the Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Kolona,

I loathe statistics because they're too "easy" to manipulate throw the right regressions and comparisons together with some careful blending of the answers you get and walla! you've got a strong correlation to something.

the r2 value is a key figure in statistics.

The higher the r2 number the "better" the comparison between two sets of numbers.

Also I don't doubt there is liberal bias in media. I all I mean to say is Fox is different but not better.

Survivor
Member # 213

I don't know about that. After all, if the others are all biased in the same way, then the dissenting voice has value simply because it dissents, y'know?

Now I have to research a couple of proposals introduced to Congress back in 2001. Ah, well, it's not like I wasn't just spinning my wheels on this one anyway. If anyone wants to take a crack at my actual writing on the subject, I have a short concept draft of an essay posted.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.