Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do Challenges Help To Get People Writing?

Author Topic: Do Challenges Help To Get People Writing?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think challenges get people writing.

http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/images/lhyearone.png

But, see for yourself. This is roughly where we stand in the course of our first year of LH flash challenges.

Note: I modified the graph. The left axis is the weekly count, and the right axis is the cumulative story count.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited February 01, 2006).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
700 stories?! I swear, sometimes it feels like we're a part of some writing sweatshop. And man is it cool.

Much thanks to you Mike and everyone else who administrates and participates.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty much the only writing I do.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
While I have not yet participated actively in the challenges described above (despite being guiltily aware of them for some time), I do consider challenges in general to be very healthy for writers of all experience levels. It gives many of us something to shoot for without the inherent pressures and stress of actual submission. We aren't always writing with the intent of publishing (at least, not at first)...but the end products are frequently suitable, if not ideal, for publication. Such challenges present a more gentle giant to sling stones at.

-Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited January 31, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited January 31, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Liberty Hall is a great place and Mike is a great host. The LH challenges are really a wonderful way to generate stuff. If you're not participaitng, consider it.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The challenges have a strong tendancy to hone the way a writer thinks. We become naturally aware of the art of writing as we write.

Rather than throwing words on paper and fixing them later, challenges, like those at LH, force us to think using good writing habits. We are training our brain to streamline the process of getting a story developed and on paper.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just throw words on paper in challenges, with a vague intent of fixing them later.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's gotten me a lot of practice.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
It's made me feel really guilty about how little I'm actually writing at the moment. That, in turn, has spurred me to write on many occasions when I would have been doing other, less productive things.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually spurs you into thinking of a coherent plot in limited time. And gets you lots of practise.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly it helps most.
Everyone needs to experience success. The forum offers that opportunity.

As far as I can see, popularity has much to do with regular free and easy critiques and feedback. That motivates people. Ask yourself whether these writers would write the same volume if the forum collapsed. They could set their own challenges, but it is unlikely to last. It is the social aspect that counts.

Often, artistic awards are created by someone trying to attach their name to artists and in particular to 'winners'. In artistic endeavours, the chance to 'win' something whether it is an award or money or some other thing indicates a flawed view of what artists do.

quote:

It actually spurs you into thinking of a coherent plot in limited time.

Writing is not a race.

What it actually does is disciplines people in how to think creatively on demand. That is a good thing.

Unlike the awards I mentioned above, LH is a forum and award by writers for writers. That is why, I think, participants find it so valuable, it is a kind of peer review.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 01, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
We shall see in a couple of months when I'm once again a landed diletante.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
are you at sea?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I belong to a group other than LH where we do weekly craftings. For me they are like challenges and, even when I don't get anything down on paper, they get my mind thinking in new directions. Also I am thrilled that Mike lets people like me wander though and enjoy the excitment of LH's challanges even though I am not a regular. Challenges get my mind out of my WIP and get fresh juices flowing.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've participated in three(?) flashes at LH and I totally got some decent reviews on a few but the others fell like Europe during the plague.

But it is an interesting challenge.

Try it out if you haven't.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.