Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Favorite fantasy series

Author Topic: Favorite fantasy series
Valtam2
Member # 3174

- posted      Profile for Valtam2   Email Valtam2         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading through the "Eye of the World" thread and it made me wonder. What is everyone's favorite fantasy series other than Tolkien? It's too easy to say Tolkien. For me, there's two. Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Cycle is first and foremost. It was one of the things that inspired me to start writing fantasy. The other is Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chronicles of Amber (not the Betancourt junk) are by far my favorite fantasy series.

Give 'em a chance, if you haven't already.

Roger Zelazny. Great writer.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Niel Hancock's "Circle of Light" (four books series proper, plus several sets of sequels / prequels). I know there's been a lot of fantasy series published since these first came out (1976 or 1977, I believe---it was in print again briefly last year), and there are those that are much better written...but I keep coming around to one simple fact. I like these books better than the others.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you pick favorites? My favorite is whichever one I'm reading at the moment.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
For me its harder with fantasy to pick a favorite since most fantasy is so very thematically similiar.

So I'll have to go with the Anti-Fantasy Song of Ice and Fire series by GRRM

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
TL 601,

You beat me to the punch. I'll second you on Zelanzy's Amber series AND the fact that the "prequel" series does not measure up by far.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, if I must choose:

1) The Black Company series -- Glen Cook
2) Vlad Taltos series -- Steven Brust
3) The Last of the Renshai -- Mickey Zucker Reichert

I admit, I prefer the gritty, in-the-trenches type of characters and stories.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Black Company and Amber are both great. I still like the Elric saga by Michael Moorcock. Nothing like a sword that drinks souls to liven things up...or is that just kill everything off?

I like the Corum and Hawkmoon series as well.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot
Runelord series by David Farland (aka David Wolverton - you cheeky devil!)
Dragonrider series by Anne McCaffrey (with this series she shades grey the line between what we would consider "fantasy" and scifi with this one but I forgive her for it)
Heaven help me - Harry Potter - my one guilty pleasure
The Belgariad all those that followed by David Eddings
Pretty much anything written by Terry Brooks, especially his Word and the Void Trilogy - excellent contemporary fantasies, and even his Landover series
The Sevenwaters Triology series by Juliet Marillier
I won't even make myself look ridulous by lauding OSC too much but I do love his writing otherwise why would I be here?

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deRost
Member # 3089

- posted      Profile for deRost   Email deRost         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erikson. Each volume has intimidating girth to its pages, and they have never ceased to inspire me. I think he has some of the best characterization out there.

The series that got me into fantasy in the first place was the Belgariad by David Eddings. I have to admit that when I first saw the books in the school library, I had thought that the fantasy genre was absolutely lame -- although I did play a little bit of AD&D with my friends. Go figure. But after thinking about it, it couldn't be all that bad, considering how popular they were. Rather than being seen reading one of the books that I associated with the less than cool crowd, I bought the first two books. I was hooked, and that was that.

[This message has been edited by deRost (edited February 02, 2006).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Amber (along with TL and Chris), but only the first five books. The second series did not grab me as much (+ Zelazny never finished it).

In a totally different vein, but it's still fantasy: Discworld.

Valtam2: the Chronicles of Prydain are amazing. I read the first two when I was a child, and later learnt that there were three others. The end of Book Five (The High King, if I'm not mistaken) is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
personaly, I agree with Dudes first post. but... :laughs maniacaly: since you asked <laughs again>

Terry Brooks is by far my favorite, followed closely by T.A Barron.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite series would have to be the Recluse series by L.E. Modesitt, Jr... but Terry Brooks and Lloyd Alexander and... yeah, there's lots of goodies.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Prydain Chronicles have always stayed in my mind, even though I read them a LONG time ago.

GRRM's series is also becoming one of my fav's.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think with "Eye of the World" that you're on the right track. My all time favorite is the Wheel of Time series. I've read through them all 2 1/2 times...kinda died on that third try, but will get back to them eventually.

I just think its so fascinating to be caught up in such a rich and detailed world. He definitely has a ton of original ideas. You just have to make it through the detailed and often slow descriptions. Oh, and the fact that there are like 11 books (or is it 12 now) that are enormous.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam2
Member # 3174

- posted      Profile for Valtam2   Email Valtam2         Edit/Delete Post 
Silver3, I definitely agree about Discworld. I love those books.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
THE DARK TOWER (I-VII)

!!!!!!!

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
The original DragonLance trilogy.

I read it ages ago and I'm going to buy it again.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
By far, Katherine Kerr's series on Deverry. The first book is called "Daggerspell". She is a really great author. The joy of it is that she's written about 12 books in this series, all a delight to read, the most recent coming out this year.

http://www.deverry.com/index.html

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add to the list with some of my fav's. These are in no particular order, because I love each of them for various reasons.

1. Knight of the word by Terry Brooks
2. Jerle Shannara series by Terry Brooks (better than the original Shannara IMO).
3. The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. (This is a seven book series, that never had a dull moment). I highly recommend it!
4.Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.
5. Wheel of Time (books 1,2,3,10 and 11 anyway).
I am finally starting the George RR Martin series, perhaps that will go on my list as well.
Honorable mention to:
The Runelord series by Dave Farland (movie to come?)
Elric series by Michael Moorcock
Dragonlance(first two trilogies) Weis and Hickman
Harry Potter (my guilty pleasure, along with 80's hair metal).

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything as long as it's not a blatant Tolkein bite. DEFINITELY not Robert Jordon *makes dry wretching sounds*

I'm currently reading through the Heralds of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey. It's actually pretty good. I like her Elemental Masters series, too. I read that one first.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.