Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Your own pieces

Author Topic: Your own pieces
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had several topics about stories that we like from other authors, and I got curious: what pieces of writing have you written that's been important to you, for any reason whatsoever, whether you like or hate it, and why that is?

In my case, it would be a poem I wrote called Gods and Gardens. It was the first thing I ever published outside the school newspaper, and I was thrilled at the time. I still like the poem, but I've had so many grievances with the people that published it, the details of which I don't want to get into. Since then, it's been a reminder for me that when I send something off, to make sure that I do it right, otherwise, the story gets wrecked for me.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I haven't written anything in quite some time, but have been trying to get back into it (hence my sudden reappearance). There is a story that I've been working on off and on over the last few years... and I'm still only on chapter 2... ah well.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what happens to our work when it is exposed to the outside world, and how it reacts to its content, colours our attitude to that work. Sometimes our confidence is shattered, or we're lulled into thinking - this is easy!
No amount of self-realised critique can replace honest, constructive and to-the-point input by another person...
Thats why I'm here, I know I'll learn her as well as help other writers
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a short short that I can't sell to anybody and I love it. It's a hidden history having to do with Jonathan Swift and Jules Verne. Either I'm kidding myself or it sucks. Hard to tell when you have an ugly baby.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a short story entitled "The Good Goodbye." It consists of my ruminations from the experience of watching a close friend die of AIDS shortly after my father died of bone cancer. It was a commentary about how we die being a reflection of how we've lived.

It was published in a local non-profit newsletter, but I've never submitted it to a larger market. With a little-reworking, it would probably be a pretty good piece.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I love my poems the most. As I've mentioned before, I consider myself more of a poet than anything. If you want to check out my poems they are at etherfiles.commandercurt.net/poems (which is also part of my website that has most of my writings that I don't ever hope to get published).

In particular I like the ones called "Stand Against the Storm", "My Cowardly Confident Soul", and "What You Learn in High School" if you want to check them out. I always love it when ppl read my poetry .

[This message has been edited by ethersong (edited February 09, 2006).]

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything I've written that gets published -- once it is published I find I cannot go back and read it ever. It's like opening a grave. Morbid, but I guess it is dead since it can no longer change.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I love most of them. I particularly love novel #1, because it's about American Indian stuff, which I love.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.