Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My opening scene

Author Topic: My opening scene
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question to all of you that have read my opening scene of "Olympus Uprising". It currently has a little over a 12k word count. It's getting pretty close to the end, but it's going well.

Should I get rid of it and start where my MC is sacrificing the deer to Artemis, to get to the hook faster?

It has been bugging me for a while. Let me know.

Thanks

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not post the alternate beginning on F&F? Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what the beginning needs to show until you are at the end. Just because you have put tons of time and work into a beginning doesn't mean you won't change it.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
NO! Don't do it. Finish the whole thing and then come back to it and you'll know how to adjust the begining of the story.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the beginning really will not let you be...just do as Mary says and finish the project.
I know I've struggled with scenes, chapters etc but it didn't stop me from continuing with the story.
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're that far in, finish, and decide afterwards. Don't do things you might regret afterwars.

Edited because of big typo.

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited February 14, 2006).]

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of OSC's advice: if the beginning has to be changed, everything later will have to be changed as well.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Will, I know what you and he mean, but as a rule it can be misleading in some instances

If you know the whole story, if you've outlined even on a story card, then you can make good judgements about whether or not you've started in the right place. But, if you are writing freeform, discovering the shape of the story as you go, I don't think you can make judgements about the beginning until you know the end. So, in that case, your first rough draft becomes an outline. The rewrites of the opening will certainly change everything that follows. But, without knowing the ending, to continually revise the beginning stands a greater chance of leading to a story that is never finished.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty close to being done with it. I'm guessing somewhere around 10-15k more words then I'll see where it stands from there. I'm going to go with Mary's advice, for now, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Thanks you guys.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.