Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » opposable thumbs

Author Topic: opposable thumbs
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found out that yesterday (Friday, March 3) is What if Cats and Dogs had Opposable Thumbs? Day and I thought I'd share that.

I mean, what if they did, even for only one day?

There's got to be a story (or two or seventeen) in that.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd have to be a VERY creative writer to write that. Then again, right now I can't think because of only 9 hours sleep in the last 72 hours. Stupid books...
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
People celebrate the oddest holidays...I always thought March 3rd, like most days, comes only once a year. Isn't that enough reason to celebrate?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
If dogs had opposable thumbs the first thing you want to do is teach them to wash their hands. They would be picking up all kinds of gross things and smelling them. "Fido, put that down! Kaka!"

[This message has been edited by Ted Galacci (edited March 05, 2006).]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You also have to consider the issue of raw muscle power and intelligence, even assuming that your cat or dog were granted the proper neural wiring to use the opposable digit.

If a pet were granted human baseline or higher intelligence, that would make a much larger difference and be much more interesting.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
can you say, monkey?????
Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
What Survivor is describing would greatly resemble a baboon.

Did anyone else catch the weird story about the troop of baboons in Arabia who recognize and stone the car of a man who ran over one of their number?

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just know that my cat would give anything to have opposable thumbs. She's always trying to pick up pencils (so she can chew on the ends, not so she can write with them--as far as I know, anyway).
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Most cats can manage picking up pencils easily enough, your's might be defective

On the subject of a dog (or cat) with human level intelligence mostly acting like a baboon...even I am not that down on humans. If you mean that a dog with an opposable thumb would be capable of throwing rocks with any facility...I think you're mistaking the physical structures that allow a primate to throw things. That has a lot more to do with the shoulder than with the design of the hand.

I'll give you all a challenge. Try and think of something that a dog or cat might like to do (like opening a door or picking up a pencil and sticking the end in your mouth), and see whether you can do it without using your thumbs. If you find yourself stuck on something, ask yourself honestly whether it's something a dog or cat might try to do if it wasn't as smart as a human.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to give the concept a try, writing a bit on it. It is not good, but this is the link to my attempt. It is the sixth note (they are numbered).

http://crafts.xprodigy.net/cgi-bin/cc1/cutecast/cutecast.pl?forum=28&thread=1238

I write these out of the keyboard, so many times they will jump around as I think of things.

In essence, if you choose not to go there, they would be much like a Raccoon in style and habits. Their actual nature would not change all that much.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.