Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dominence and Submissions...hopefully in the right forum this time!

Author Topic: Dominence and Submissions...hopefully in the right forum this time!
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
No this thread isn't about anything kinky.

It strikes me that the book world is a microcosm of the real world; its power is unequally distributed. Why else would they call sending in a manuscript submission?

To open the discussion I would invite you to look at one publisher's particularly pithy (and mildly obscene---warning) submissions page. Hopefully we can approach this with a sense of humor and perspective. http://www.thedonotpress.com/submissions.html

Though brutal this page is probably one of the more honest ones I've seen. I posted it in large part because it illustrates the publisher's dilemmna and the 'game' aspect of the publisher/writer relationship.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I've deleted the topic that you started in the wrong area, Keldon02. Thanks for letting me know about it.

One thing about this subject is that if you look at it from the publisher/editor point of view, it can be compared to a lottery where the odds that the pile of manuscripts they have to go through will have anything they can use is very small.

I like to describe the editor-writer relationship in this way:

The editor is Milady's servant, sent from the castle down to the marketplace to find "just the right thing" to go with Milady's gown for the upcoming ball.

All the servant knows is what Milady's gown looks like and what Milady tastes are in general.

The servant has to go through the entire marketplace, looking at all the wares, and hope that there will be something that Milady can use to make her gown the hit of the ball.

The servant doesn't have to tell the vendors anything about what she is looking for, and in fact, the servant probably can't, because she will only know it when she sees it.

The servant doesn't have to give any one of the vendors feedback on what they are selling, nor does she have to suggest to them that they sell earrings instead of necklaces or scarves instead of reticules. That's not the servant's job.

The servant may pick up something and ask, "Do you have this in blue?" But the servant doesn't have to say anything at all.

When the servant finds "just the right thing," then the servant purchases it and takes it back to the castle, and the vendors can get together and discuss what the servant did all they want. They may or may not be any wiser about what to have on display the next time the servant comes down from the castle to shop for Milady. All they can do is provide the best items they can, and hope that next time, the servant will buy something from them.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Submission"...from Latin through French, the Latin "submittere," put under, lower, submit..."sub," under, "mittere," send...It does imply a relationship between an inferior and superior, at that.

Perhaps "send," a simpler word deriving from Old English, would be more appropriate...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, "submit" is definitely the verb we want. We are placing the document under the judgment of the editor. If you've already been paid to produce it, then you "send" rather than "submit" it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen that is an interesting description.

Being a hobbyist glass bead maker, I think of editors and publishers in a more mundane manner. To me they seem like bead stringers who get shipments of glass beads of all shapes and sizes. They dig through the boxes and bins of beads, looking for ones which are enough alike to string as necklaces. Once they have enough strands of a particular kind they can sell them in neatly labeled packets, "green round beads" and "brown square beads".

(Mine isn't really a very good analogy. No matter how good my beads are, nor how efficient I am in making them they are more expensive and less perfect than the ones made by endless rows of eight year old children chained in front of their torches in China and Indonesia. Commercial bead stringers are supporting and perpetrating some really bad labor practices but the publishers are grooming a few workers whom they hope will corner the market.)

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited March 09, 2006).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.