Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "Style" vs. Bad Grammar

Author Topic: "Style" vs. Bad Grammar
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's an interesting one (I think) for discussion.
I've been writing a lot of critiques lately and I'm a bit of stickler for following the basic rules of grammar, so it's tough for me to pass over errors of that sort without pointing them out.

Here's the interesting part - I've had several people come back and tell me that they intended it to be written like that -- it's their "style." This includes things like run-on sentences, fragments (which I can live with), and misuse of commas and semicolons.
So the question is how many rules can you break in the name of style, especially if you are not a published author?

That's certainly a loaded question - which is why I'm posting it...

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be style, but that doesn't mean it is a good style.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of it depends on how it sounds when it's read out loud. I'm in the "music of the language" school of grammar, I guess. And if it sounds sucky read out loud, it doesn't matter whether it's your style or not... throw it out before it infects the rest of your work.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a good question, actually.

I love it when people tell me that they intended to do something a certain way. Just because they purposefully wrote a run-on sentence does not mean that they should have. It is at least good to know they are aware of this basic grammar problem, but nonetheless I encourage these people to separate intended AFFECT with purposefully writing something down.

In the case of a run-on sentence, I am often trying to create the AFFECT of a hyperacive character saying something all in one breath. Case in point: "We're going camping and it's such a pretty day and Megan got out of the hospital and can come with us after all and I found my lucky fishing pole and Dad said he could come too."

Yes, I intentionally wrote those words down like that. Yes, I know it's a run-on sentence. That part, I did on purpose. What is more difficult to do on purpose is to make those words get the right reaction from a reader. If enough readers tell me, "That's a run-on sentence." then I will know that they did not get the point, that all that stood out to them was the grammar problem.

Something that tends to work more often is a fragment:

"She almost ran after him. Almost."

I do this fairly often in my writing to emphasize a point. I find that it tends to work, but once again if enough people are thrown by this then obviously, rather than creating good affect I am annoying them. Annoyance is not what I want.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christine on this one.

Style is important as long as it doesn't aggrivate the reader.

In dialogue though, I think that you can have free reign.

See "Grapes of Wrath" or any Clavell novel, and he is able to destroy grammar rules for the sake of good dialogue.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
to quote Woody From Toy Story -- TM & © 1995- 2006 Disney/Pixar. All Rights Reserved :

quote:

He's not flying! He's just falling... with style.

Plummeting is plummeting, no matter how cool it may look.

Communication is the objective of most stories. Does the 'style' meet its communication objective?. Many writers obfuscate the story by employing a misguided sense of style which usually betrays incompetence rather than achieving some predetermined desired effect.

The best advice you can give to someone studying life-drawing (or any type of drawing for that matter) is to understand structure. What lies beneath the skin, beneath the muscles, beneath the tendons? Once you understand structure, the 'style' will follow. Don't create some palette of gimmicky swooshes, wriggly lines and clichéd, referential 'trademark' elements and think it is 'style' when the result demostrates the artist's inability to create compositional strength. To act that way is amateurish avoidance of the work required to understand structure.

I do agree with the comments on the dialogue. But add that you should be consistent in the way the character mashes the language. Don't have him literate and erudite in one sentence and illiterate and tongue-tied in another. ie "What yer doin' that fer?' in one sentence and 'What are you doing that for?' in the next.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 24, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do agree with the comments on the dialogue. But add that you should be consistent in the way the character mashes the language. Don't have him literate and erudite in one sentence and illiterate and tongue-tied in another. ie "What yer doin' that fer?' in one sentence and 'What are you doing that for?' in the next.

I agree totally. Consistancy is important, or nobody will take you seriously.

Tom Joad was believable because he always spoke the way that he did.

However, you can use changes in mashed up dialogue to show improvement in learning a foreign tongue, like Clavell did in "Shogun."

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true. Run-on sentences and other grammatical mistakes in dialogue are different from the same mistakes in narration. Christine's sentence isn't a problem as long as the character is speaking in character, but if someone wrote, "They went camping and it was such a pretty day and Megan got out of the hospital and she went with them after all and she found her lucky fishing pole and her Dad said he would go too," it would be unacceptable and beyond the protection of a style argument. It's just plain bad writing.

The style/break the rules thing is cousin to poetic license. However, like Hoptoad basically said, you gotta know which rules you're breaking, and you better break them for a darn good reason.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a proper way to do sentences in prose that are legally very long. Just look at Dickens or Charlotte Bronte. But there is definitely a style that comes with such things. My favorite is the short sentences because they contribute to the style enormously.

And this is related to the whole question of How much do you sacrifice of perfect clarity in order to maintain some style? I'm learning that most people don't go for such sacrifices. A good writer will know how to keep the style and the reader at the same time...or at least know the appropriate times to lean towards one side. But I think such things take practice and lots of review of your work.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Keeley on this. Musicality is big.

I'm usually very unforgiving of spelling errors unless they are an intentional part of the dialogue. Same goes with grammar. Punctuation should be perfect throughout. That is, I'm alright with fragments if they have purpose, but don't put, commas in the wrong place (for example).

That said, I'm not always perfect with my technicality. I tend to be a bit comma-happy, and I'm sure there are other things I do wrong as well.

Now I know that some parts of grammar are getting less and less strict. For some reason splitting infinitives is all the rage now In those cases you might actually get away with it, even though all the grammar freaks like me will be throwing fits.

An expert writer could pull off a whole book of errors that is written from the point of view of a character who doesn't have very good grammar. But most of us aren't experts and should not be trying this just yet.

As has been said above, whatever you do, be consistent.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I tink the big thing to remember with whatever you try to do is that it may not have the intended affect on the readers and if it does not...do something else.

And yes, you're right...you can get away with MUCH more in dialogue than you can anywhere else. I've only used the run-on sentence thing in dialogue. Although the fragment bit I've done elsewhere.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Run on sentences are not really breaking rules of grammar. They just "feel" wrong, if they are wrong. If there are dangling modifiers and dangling participles and comma splices, then you can say they broke a rule. Sentence fragments can be more of a gray area, as clause shortening.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that "I meant to do that" is used as a defense for breaking the laws of grammar. Use that argument to defend against breaking any other law, and you'll get a much stiffer punishment than if you plead accident or ignorance.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

A run-on sentence does break a grammar rule. Two or more main clauses run together without proper punctuation is a no-no. But a sentence can be technically correct, yet just not work, while a technically incorrect sentence can be just fine.

The following, from http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000011.htm, is technically correct:
"We often speak in run-on sentences, but we make pauses and change our tone so people can understand us, but when we write, no one can hear us, so sometimes we must break our sentences into shorter units so that they do not sound run-on."

Yet sentence fragments, as I think Christine mentioned, which are technically incorrect, can be fine in context.

Neither Christine's nor my sentence is correct, but only because of the lack of punctuation. Technically, they are simply very compound sentences. (Kind of an oxymoronic sentence. ) In fact, adding commas, which makes them technically correct, also makes them 'feel' less wrong, although still not quite right:

"We're going camping, and it's such a pretty day, and Megan got out of the hospital and can come with us after all, and I found my lucky fishing pole, and Dad said he could come too."

"They went camping, and it was such a pretty day, and Megan got out of the hospital and she went with them after all, and she found her lucky fishing pole, and her Dad said he would go too."

quote:
I tink the big thing to remember with whatever you try to do is that it may not have the intended affect on the readers and if it does not...do something else.

That intended effect can be a killer. The writer generally needs outside input to determine if he's getting his intended effect. ('outside input' )

Dickens and other verbose writers generally were technically correct; they didn't write in run-on sentences. They were "legally very long." It was an accepted style at one time.

quote:
But there is definitely a style that comes with such things. My favorite is the short sentences because they contribute to the style enormously.

Sometimes too enormously, either way:

From Ulysses, James Joyce:

quote:
There were equally excellent opportunities for vacationists in the home island, delightful sylvan spots for rejuvenation, offering a plethora of attractions as well as a bracing tonic for the system in and around Dublin and its picturesque environs, even, Poulaphouca, to which there was a steam tram, but also farther away from the maddening crowd, in Wicklow, rightly termed the garden of Ireland, an ideal neighbourhood for edlerly wheelmen, so long as it didn't come down and in the wilds of Donegal, where if report spoke true, the coup d'oeil was exceedingly grand, though the lastnamed locality was not easily getable so that the influx of visitors was not as yet all that it might be considering the signal benefits to be derived from it, while...[goes on for 202 words total]

While this from A Farewell to Arms, Hemingway:

quote:
The Italians were even more dangerous. They were frightened and firing on anything they saw. Last night on the retreat we had heard that there had been many Germans in Italian uniforms mixing with the retreat in the north. I did not believe it. That was one of those things you always heard in the war. It was one of the things the enemy always did to you. You did not know any one who went over in German uniform to confuse them. Maybe they did it but it sounded difficult. I did not believe the Germans did it. I did not believe they had to. There was no need to confuse our retreat. [continues this way throughout]

Give me a comfortable middle ground, varied as the context best benefits.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited March 24, 2006).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

I don't bother with grammar. I'm all about syntax.

If it clearly means what the author intended it to mean, then it doesn't matter if some grammar freak thinks it's an error. The problem is when poor punctuation, construction, wording, or other factors make it difficult to be certain what the text is supposed to mean (or when the decodable meaning is clearly different from the most probable intended meaning).

If a grammatical "error" doesn't impact clarity, then it doesn't matter. End of story.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Many rules in english grammar don't make sense.

Some of them stem from trying to impose the grammatical rules of Latin onto a Germanic language.

I mean, logically, no one can explain the invalidity of a dangling participle.

English was basically a peasant language, used by the illiterate until about the 13th-14th century. At that time the Norman nobility began to realise that the French considered the Norman version of French to be a ridiculous, hick dialect. The Nobility were collectively so humiliated that they were all speaking English within 50 years and French had became a second language at best and in most cases a foreign language to the next generation. In fact, one of the King Henrys, (can't remember which one), used the protection of the English Language as justifiction for going to war with France.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to politely contain myself when someone tells me a snippet has bad grammar in it, simply because it has a sentence fragment. Like this one.

...but I don't want to do bad grammar for style, except in dialog. Punctuation errors, no way.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited March 24, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, the dangling participle; this is nonsense up with which we shall not put...

I suspect I am one of the people who contributed to Omakase starting this thread (given that I responded in very much that vein to very much that critique).

I have always been of the opinion that the "laws" of grammar can (and at times should) be broken, so long as you know what laws you're breaking and why you're breaking them. There is a difference between someone who doesn't know they're doing it, and someone who knows they're doing it and is doing it for a very deliberate effect.

Here are two sentences to illustrate what I mean:

"It was not quite perfect."

"It was not, quite, perfect."

I have been critted for the latter usage, because the commas aren't necessary. And I agree. But read those sentences aloud and you should see a difference between them; a subtle nuancing in the second that isn't there in the first. the commas are used to pause, to emphasise, to moderate... to my mind (and I hope I'm not alone in this) these two sentences are different and mean different things. Slightly different, but I do try and put these kind of delicate, subtle shifts into my prose. And that's a stylistic choice, because I know what I'm doing is "wrong", but I feel the benefit I get in terms of the shades of meaning outweighs the disadvantages of stepping a little away from purist grammar.

But, of course, what works for one reader will not work for another; and that is what style is all about. I do not expect my prose style to appeal to everyone on this board, but I do value the feedback both from those who do appreciate it, and from those who don't.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar is the kind of thing that once you really know how to do it correctly, you can get away with breaking the rules.

Run on sentances are not style. In dialogue they are fine (Internal or spoken), otherwise its a tough one to justify. Not that it can't be done, but for most of the people writing on a help-me-with-my-writing board, they won't be able to pull it off acceptably.

Sentance Fragments are fine when not used excessivly. One every few pages of narrative is okay. Dialogue is not natural without them.

Ultimately Bad Grammar becomes a style when used consistently to establish a particular narrative voice. The trick is to make it natural and painless to read. The entertainment factor must outweigh the cringe factor.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the excuse is often used to defend against a lack of knowing what proper grammar is. After years of working at it, I still couldn't justify a run on sentance in any other way than a mistake.

It would be easier if people learned the rules before pretending to break them for a purpose. I break the rules most often because of ignorance of them...not by design.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Grammar doesn't matter. Clarity and meaning do. If your text is clear and meaningful, then it doesn't matter whether or not it is grammatically correct. Conversely, if you can actually write anything that no grammer nitpicker will complain about (and this is demonstrated to be a mathmatical impossibility for any work in excess of a thousand words), yet it is not clear and meaningful, it (here meaning the grammar) still doesn't matter.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
???

quote:
I mean, logically, no one can explain the invalidity of a dangling participle.

A dangling participle is invalid because it is a sentence fragment that references the wrong noun.

Examples of dangling participles:

"Being so awkward in a sentence, I never use dangling participles."

"Running through the forest, the tree roots kept tripping him."

quote:
Ah yes, the dangling participle; this is nonsense up with which we shall not put...

I believe the allusion to the "nonsense up with which we shall not put" is in reference to Churchill's comment about the grammar rule against putting a preposition at the end of the sentence. "Please come on up."

So what does it have to do with dangling participles?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Confused
Member # 3317

- posted      Profile for Mr.Confused           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"It was not... quite... perfect."

Is that acceptable? *embarrased at his lack of knowledge*

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I had read a lot of books lately, published, by them in the store books that are full of 'grammatical errors'.

I am reading the Harry Potter series to my children and there are lots of things in them that bug the heck outta me. And then there are those books that are in the genre I'm writing, with misspelled words, sentences that don't flow.

When you read things aloud, it should have some sort of rythmn, something that holds you attention as well. I'm just not finding it. I skip over a lot of things in H.P. because it's a bunch of droning thoughts. It doesn't fit when read aloud. I find myself skipping down to other parts of books because of the fluff factor and the run-on sentences.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm reading, I prize getting into the world the writer is creating---I want to get into that world. A particuarly bad sentence (or misused word or incorrect piece of data or any number of other things) will jerk me out of that world in an instant.

When I'm writing, I prize clarity---I want my sentences and words to be precise. They mean what I want them to mean, and I want the reader to understand what I mean. Bad grammar would only interefere with that kind of understanding. The grammar and spelling may be ultimately questionable, but it's not from lack of trying.

(Not that I'd want to leave things the way I write things here...endless sentences spliced together with dashes and dots, parenthetical thoughts, etcetera...if I wrote that out in rough draft I'd try to clean it up while revising.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Susan: Really? I "read" all the HP books on audio and Jim Dale does a fantastic job. Never having seen the words in print, I can't argue with you, but I can sya that *someone* did get a good out loud flow out of them.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

I prefer "not, quite, perfect" to "not ... quite ... perfect," because they have the same effect, but the first is simpler.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
Ultimately Bad Grammar becomes a style when used consistently to establish a particular narrative voice. The trick is to make it natural and painless to read. The entertainment factor must outweigh the cringe factor

I love that, Pantros. [my italics]

quote:

While I agree that extra commas can be used for nuanced effect, I think it has to be where commas may or may not go to start -- where there's already an acceptance for them, such as before the last item in a series or to break up an especially long sentence. In this instance, the unintended effect may well be that the writer made a mistake. For the same effect, IMHO, italics might work better or, depending on the context, quotation marks. Ellipses to me would suggest someone easing into sleep or unconsciousness or baffled thought.

There is no need to be embarrassed by a lack of knowledge, Mr. Confused. The recognition of that lack is a form of wisdom.

quote:
Not that I'd want to leave things the way I write things here...endless sentences spliced together with dashes and dots, parenthetical thoughts, etcetera...if I wrote that out in rough draft I'd try to clean it up while revising.

This is what scares me. With text messaging, casual e-mailing, instant-messaging and such, this is what people think is, if not proper, then acceptable writing. The shoddy editing we're seeing too often in published works is an off-shoot of this, I think, as well as of a lack of knowledge on the part of editors.

Like that Internet paragraph that's making the rounds:

quote:
I cdnuolt blveeiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. Thge rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wolhe.

Just because we can read this, doesn't mean we should jettison correct spelling. If we didn't know how to spell things in the first place, this would be jibberish. A jumbled paragraph in Russian would be no easier for me to read than a properly composed Russian paragraph.

quote:
When I'm writing, I prize clarity---I want my sentences and words to be precise.

The key word here is "precise" not "clarity." Text messagers accept a level of clarity that would be unacceptable -- one would hope -- in a published work.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited March 25, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Clarity isn't a boolean value. Just because, with some work, you can understand something, that doens't mean it's particularly clear.

Precision is nice, and it's one of my baliwicks. But it isn't a boolean value either.

"Grammaticlly correct" is a boolean value. Worse, no two people can agree on what is or isn't grammatically correct. So it isn't, even theoretically, valuable for helping with clarity or precision.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Gramatically correct may not be correct in the intended context, so there's another spanner in the machine.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

APOLOGY

I must apologise. When I said dangling participle, I meant split infinitive (Don't know what happened.)

So should read:

I mean, logically, no one can explain the invalidity of a split infinitive.

Early grammatical authorities (read: Thomas Smith et al) realised that in Latin it was impossible to split an infinitive so decided it should be impossible in English too. This supposes that English should use Latin as a grammatical model. A language with which English has precious little in common.

To realise that in Latin a verb can have 120 inflections but that in English a verb can have a maximum of five (ie see, sees, saw, seeing, seen) is to begin to understand how different these two languages are. Sure, we borrowed words, but English was for centuries a spoken language only, used by rural peasants, and the peasantry dispensed with impracticalities with an emphasis on expressive functionality instead.

Think of the curiously persistent idea -- in reference to the Churchill quote above -- that a sentence should not end in a preposition. Why? The source of this tradition was Robert Lowth an 18th century amateur garmmarian and clergyman in his book A short introduction to English (1762).

He aslo came up with the notion that we must say "different from" as opposed to "different to".

Read Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson for more on these sort of arbitrary decisions that have become canonised by grammaticasters around the world.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 25, 2006).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Apology accepted, hoptoad. You really had me confused there (and apparently I wasn't the only one confused).

I quite agree on the problem with calling split infinitives invalid.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I read "dangling participle" and thought "dangling preposition", hence my Churchillian reference earlier.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willster328
Member # 3321

- posted      Profile for Willster328   Email Willster328         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, part of how a story is written, is also how a story SOUNDS. A lot of times OSC uses sentance fragment-like things, but they emphasize something, not intended to be grammatically correct.

Here's an example:

quote:

"Revolutionary" is a good word. Revolutionary new household cleaning products. Revolutionary new poet! Revolutionary car design!

Don't be a counter-revolutionary! Nobody likes a Contra.

Oh, wait ... that was a different set of rhetoric ... The old war. The cold war.

Many things in these few sentances are grammatically incorrect, but he does it for the sound. When we read this we can HEAR what he's trying to say, it's a literary technique, and though it's grammatically incorrect, it makes it interesting to read. It's these techniques I'd consider to be acceptable, but everything is based on opinion.

For another instance, Emily Dickinson is NOTORIOUS for beating her poems over the head with a large quantity of dashes:

"A poor -- torn heart -- a tattered heart --
That sat it down to rest --
Nor noticed that the Ebbing Day
Flowed silver to the West --
Nor noticed Night did soft descend --
Nor Constellation burn --
Intent upon the vision
Of latitudes unknown.

The angels -- happening that way
This dusty heart espied --
Tenderly took it up from toil
And carried it to God --
There -- sandals for the Barefoot --
There -- gathered from the gales --
Do the blue havens by the hand
Lead the wandering Sails."

Now grammatically it's very hard to read and doesn't make much sense, and to me it becomes a problem, but to others and literary critics, Dickinson is a poetic genius and the dashes are fine. So there's a fine line between how grammatical things can work in literature.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Using poetry to illustrate grammar is like using a schwinn to demonstrate Nascar.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all posters for the lively discussion.

I certainly learned a few new things reading the variety of responses here and I value the input.
As a young (in experience, not age unfortunately )writer I have struggled at times to express my exact thoughts without breaking some of those rules my teachers spent so much time beating me over the head with... ahem, like ending sentences in prepositions, which is no problem in informal writing.

As many noted, sentence fragments are practically indispensible to get the right cadence in sections of the prose.

It's tough to ignore some of those rules, though, since many do make the writing sound bad.

Well, off to cheerily go write some more

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really kept up with this, but my general take has been that you need to obey grammar wherever possible so that when you choose to insert a fragment, or run-on, or whatever, it will have the maximum effect on the reader.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

All OSC was doing in that section was using sentence fragments. Strunk & White doesn't say anything about them (except a definition), and the Chicago Manual of Style isn't online. The Wikipedia style manual (for Wikipedia entries) just says how they should be used. My conclusion: sentence fragments are not bad grammar.

English texts warn us about sentence fragments, but they also say that sometimes they're a good thing. I haven't thought about this a lot, but it seems to me sentence fragments are fine if they are nouns or noun phrases; or phrases that modify whatever came previously. A predicate without a subject isn't good (unless the subject is the implied "you.")

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.