Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What else can you do with prose?

Author Topic: What else can you do with prose?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you who frequent Liberty Hall may know why I'm asking this, but for the rest...Does a fictional prose piece have to be a story? Well, obviously I can write whatever *I* want, but aside from just writing something that sits on my own computer and takes up disk space, is there a market for, a genre description for, etc...prose pieces that are not stories? What would you call them?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
A Poem. (Sorry.)

I have read many poems written like yours. I like them. It doesn't have to be stanzas, it doesn't have to rhyme. It's a message and you delivered it beautifully. Try a mag that likes poetry. I know I've submitted to a few. I'm sure you could do something with it.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Humorous essay? Non-humorous essay? I always thought it was funny that Lilo and Stitch was based on an "idea". I think the "idea" was presented as an illustrated booklet, though.

Also, it's okay to do writing exercises that do not become part of any marketed work.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited March 29, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad question, and not a bad answer. I had two pieces for which I asked that question. One was eventually published as poetry, and the other became the first of the Stone Musings to be published. In the case of the first, I changed the format to look more like poetry (ie moved it into stanza form). For the second, I attached it as a sort of a preface to a personal essay.

So, yes, there are ways to get these things published.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mike's "musings" to describe non-story prose about sums it up for me -- it's as good a name as any other we could throw out there... /end opinion.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything you can market as short-short non-fiction. Maybe it could develop into a new market, like a western version of a Zen Koan. A brief insight into the world or more like 'Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey, only not by Jack Handey, by you.

Grim

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
A Poem. (Sorry.)

It started as a story. It really did.
It was about this guy and his space-elephant. They did tricks with the elephant's trunk.
But they got caught up.
In a really big way.
In a really big galaxy-wide conspiracy to overthrow the galactic government by causing congresspeople to show up to work without any trousers on.
Wouldn't you know it?
The elephant has a magical trunk. Only he can stop the conspiracy.
But that's as far as it went.
The story had no traction.
So I wrote this awful poem.
Sorry.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
You never know what a piece of writing will merit. Tom Simon, a bookseller, took former President Clinton's grand jury testimony word for word and arranged it like free verse (it's actually a form of poetry called "found poetry"). The result really is poetic. He got the idea from someone having done it with President Nixon's tapes. The book is called Poetry Under Oath. This is an excerpt entitled "Around Christmas Time":
(I'm sure the centered verse format won't work well here, but you'll get the idea)

I did like it a lot
I told you that
My impression
My belief
Was that she gave me that book
For Christmas
Maybe that's not right
I think she had that book
Delivered to me
for Christmas
And then
As I remember
I went to Bosnia
And for some reason
She wasn't there
Around Christmastime.
--William Jefferson Clinton

So you never know. You could end up with anything from "Stone Musings" to "Poetry Under Oath."

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.