Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "packaging" a novel

Author Topic: "packaging" a novel
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Did a Google on Viswananthan, followed some links and found an article that threw terms around that I didn't understand.

Link first, then question.

Kaavya's expensive inner circle

Question: what does this article mean when they say that 17th Street/Alloy "packaged" Viswanathan's novel? I'm assuming they mean something word-wise happened to it before an agent or editor ever looked at it, but do they mean that someone went through and proofed it, or that someone rewrote whole sections to make it more palatable to the publishing industry?

Or is this just someone trying to make a bad situation sound worse?

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Alloy owns the copyright with Miss V, which says some interesting things about their level of involvement in the project. They did not just proofread it.

If you google book packager, you'll find a lot of interesting links that explain it better than I could. But basically a packager takes a concept, develops it, often finds writers, edits it, and turns it over to the publisher as a finished product. They often work on series books - think Nancy Drew or Sweet Valley High. They employ a fair number of freelance writers.

Miss V. did not plagiarize on her own. Depending on how cynical you are, she might not have written much of it at all. Hard to say, though I expect we'll hear more about how the collaboration worked as this unfolds.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
oh my
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The most important part of the process is selling it to a publisher.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.