Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writers 10 Commandments

Author Topic: Writers 10 Commandments
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought it would be neat to post the top 10 things a writer shouldn't/should do,or know; maybe it will help people out; I know it would me. Commandment 1 is the highest.

Here is my shot at it:
1. Thou shalt not info dump.
2. Thou shalt know your tenses.
3. Thou shalt know your 6 tools. WOARES (Want, Obstacle, Action, Resolution, Emotion, Show)
4. Thou shalt know your grammar. (Working on this one)

Can't think of anymore at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Grijalva (edited May 09, 2006).]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an actual 10 Commandments of Writing?
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thou shalt put no other person before the reader.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't break POV.
Don't think befuddling the reader will intrigue the reader.
Decide if it's Milieu, Idea, Character, or Event; and don't *end* the Idea story with the question.
*Do* info-dump -- just make sure every last bit of that dumped info is needed.
Don't break these commandments without a good reason; if you have one, do whatever you like.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
My turn...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"I am the Lore thy Guide, which have brought thee out of the land of E-zine, out of the publishing house of bondage.

I. Thou shalt have no other guides before me.

II. Thou shalt not make unto thee any grating imagery.

III. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lore thy Guide in vain, unless it maketh the reader giggle.

IV. Remember the subplot, and keep it wholly entertaining (or else).

V. Honor thy editor and thy reader: that thy publishing days may be long upon the fantasy market which the Lord of the Rings hath given thee.

VI. Thou shalt not kill a main character on page two.

VII. Thou shalt not commit apathy.

VIII. Thou shalt not steal ideas.

IX. Thou shalt not bear false pretense against thy reader.

X. Thou shalt not covet thy collaborator's hook, thou shalt not covet thy collaborator's nightlife, nor his manuscript, nor his oxymoron, nor his assonace, nor any written thing that is thy collaborator's."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, that was fun! Anybody up for a Writer's Book of Leviticus?

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely there is just one great commandment... hmm let me see
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't break POV.

you know, I've been wondering JUST how sacred this rule is... now that I know about POV, I pay attention to it when I read. And the other night I was flipping through my much beloved copy of "Dune" when I found a passage written with both Jessica and Duke Leto's POV in the same section, same paragraph. It bounced from one to the other.

This is the second time I've discovered this in a published work by one of my favorite authors. I wonder how vigilant editors are about this issue, or is "POV" some sort of new "fad" that has only become common wisdom in the past few years?

I personally think keeping POV clean makes sense, but given the fact that established authors don't always honor it, how important IS it, really?

Just musing...

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Maintaining POV is important enough that an author should have a very good reason for breaking it on those rare occasions when it's necessary. In my opinion, you don't always need a scene break to start a new POV, but you do need an excellent transitional phrase or two to make it work. Also, breaking POV (or more aptly put as switching POV, or even switching from third to omni) at the end of scenes is a time honored tradition. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. But you shouldn't do anything until you at least understand the "rules" you're breaking. That's my thoughts on it.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
POV can be broken, like most of the other rules, if you have a really good reason to, and can make it work.

And Dune breaks many POVs. I don't remember if it's here we had a discussion on POV in Dune, but my position at the time was that since it was a book with so much telepathy, the POV breaks added to the overall effect.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought on POV.

I'm not skilled enough to pull it off, so I don't. But some authors are great at switching POV mid-stride (Herbert being one of them) and I say "go for it."

There are no rules in writing, really. Tell me any rule, and I'll show you an example of a published book that breaks it (within reason).

Like OSC says: do what you want, just be ready to deal with the consequences.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Love thy character as thyself, but don't be afraid to give him lots of trouble or even kill him if necessary.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Inkwell, that was priceless. Bravo.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The POV rule is less a current fad, more a recent trend.

Based on the books I read a few authors have been keeping a tight reign on POV for decades, but some time in the 80s it became the standard. Now readers and editors expect it.

Too bad about commandment X. My collaborator has a great assonace!

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The PoV thing:

Would actually qualify as a recent discovery. People realized that the 3rd person limited omniscience pov is more immersive than the previous tradition of 3rd person full omniscience.

As a writer there are probably as many ways to handle PoV as there are writers. You can use Full Omni and shift focus from one character to another any time you wish.

The real important thing about writing, above all other rules, is that you must engage the reader well enough that they do not notice the errors/flaws or at least don't care enough to stop reading when they do.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.