Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Punctuation - quote marks

Author Topic: Punctuation - quote marks
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a punctuation question that is driving me nuts. I can't seem to find a direct example of this in any of my books on style.

I realize full sentence quotes follow the traditional rule of quote marks OUTSIDE the period. But what about quotation fragments?

My question is: Is there any instance where it is proper to have quote marks go inside the period?

Example:
The most frequent response is "choices within structure".
or should it be:
The most frequent response is "choices within structure."

How about:
She interpreted the commission's ruling as "silly posturing."
or is it:
She interpreted the commission's ruling as "silly posturing".

I'm editing a document written by someone with a much higher education level than mine, and she is consistently putting the period outside the quote marks when she is using a quotation fragment. While my first instinct is to think she's making a punctuation error, I'm nervous that perhaps it's me that is not correctly interpreting the nuances to this rule.

I need a punctuation expert!

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 14, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
American usage generally leaves the punctuation inside the quote marks, whereas British and Aussie usage is the reverse.

The exception is when phrasing quoted material in a certain way, such as a question, and usually the ending punctuation is dumped outside of the quotes. For instance:

Can you believe he said, "The only thing to fear is fear itself"?

In that example, there is no full stop (period) inside the quotation marks, and if it were written as follows, it would be misinterpreted.

Can you believe he said, "The only thing to fear is fear itself?"

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
per Chicago, "Quoted words and phrases falling at the end of a sentence can, in the vast majority of cases, take the terminating period within the closing quotation marks without confusion or misunderstanding.

example:
From then on, Gloria became increasingly annoyed by what she later referred to as Sidney's "excessive discrention."

Chicago notes that on occasion doing this may cause confusion about whether the period is part of the quotation or not and then it's ok to put the period outside the quotation marks. but for the most part, for US usage, put it inside.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
hso snuck ahead. and yes, there are exceptions for question marks and I think exclamation points.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
The style guides I saw make examples of exclamation marks and semi-colons as going on the OUTSIDE of the quote marks, but as I said, the examples left me wondering about periods.

*sigh* I was afraid of this. This means I need to watch out for yet another thing that requires touch-up in this job... maybe I need to make myself a list of stuff to double-check.

Ah well. At least it's a job! Punctuation Maven, to the rescue!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
"This," he said, "this." "This"? "This"! "This": "that"; "the other."

US usage.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.