Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » crazy stuff people do on the internet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: crazy stuff people do on the internet
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Today on a parenting forum I frequent, a woman asked how to cheat to get WIC assistance. I couldn't believe someone would come right out and ask that question (though, unfortunately, I had no problems believing someone would cheat if they could). I don't htink anyone would do that in person....or at least, they would be far less likely.

The internet (often futurized in unimpressive ways) is a primary tool in modern science fiction but I don't think it works the way it is often portrayed. It's not just another way of being social -- it is used under cover of anonymity (supposed or real) to do all kinds of things. People are different on the internet and I find myself wondering -- is it just different or is it more real? Is it who we are or who we would like to be?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a little of both... or can be anyway. There are some actors who are always themselves no matter what role they play, and there are those who seem to become transformed with each part until you only see the character they want you to see.

As for cheating via Internet sources, I think the "anonymity" of the Internet gives people the illusion of getting away with whatever they want to do. I know the Rent-a-coder type websites have a bunch of students who are willing to pay people to do their homework for them. And then there are essays you can get that "help you write your own".

Ultimately though, I think this is just a natural outgrowth of the growing sense that we deserve whatever it is we want. And anyone who makes it difficult to get whatever it is we want, even if that difficulty leads to our growth, becomes someone to deceive and hate. This attitude has always been around, but I've been seeing it around me more often lately.

And impatience. I see a lot more impatience, too.

Sorry for the rambling. Hope I made sense.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited May 24, 2006).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is simply that no one really knows who you are. I don't usually like message boards because you post an opinion and then suddenly you are called all sorts of horrible awful names. And it can even be something fairly harmless- like, oh I didn't really like that tv show. But you are hidden behind this screen name and so people feel like that allows them complete freedom, no responsibility, esp if you are not attached to the screen name. As far as buying papers, the internet makes it easier, but it certainly wasn't the beginning. Also, makes it a bit easier to catch if the papers are actually posted (and there are a lot of ed sites that specialize in that).
So, how do you cheat at WIC? ;-)

Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, frankly, I don't think some of the current computer culture---or hardware or software---will survive forever in its present form. The changes in the last hundred years were mind-boggling. I have no reason to believe the next hundred years will be otherwise. It bothers me to see stories set in the far future where people still work on and play on computers in exactly the same way they do today. Besides, if "virtual" anything really gets going, you can discard practically all of what's currently here---it'll be obsolete.

(In my stories, I have computers around, but rarely have any action involve them. Partially it's early imprinting---I grew up without 'em so my characters don't use 'em.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to cheat at WIC is to go to someone's house that is on WIC and sneak food while they are in the bathroom. "Stolen cheese tastes better."

You can also make up fake tax and income documents, it isn't any harder than stealing a car, you just might (should) go to jail.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited May 24, 2006).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Hygge   Email Hygge         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic-I think if we all had the ability to see who’s behind the plasma screen, we would act differently for a while. But I think we would eventually go back to doing the same thing we did under the supposed anonymity. Our society allows us to live in total isolation (as far as actual physically interacting with other people). Since they may live 10,000 miles away, who cares how a person acts in their own little world? There is precedent and one doesn’t need to look any further than their cars. Just think how completely insane people act while driving their cars. They think they are anonymous too. That is, until the police pull them over and they blame everyone else for their poor decisions.

On a different level, I compare the internet to the human brain. There are so many different areas to explore. Like the brain, the information never goes away, we just don’t access it (I guess if a person’s never researched a given topic, the data is simply not stored in the brain-but if a person has never access a particular area of the internet, it’s not retrievable information either). In researching OSC, I ran across a movie he wrote and produced called “Remind Me Again” (http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/remindme/). That led me to a column written by one of the actors, which lead me to a book, “The Golden Compass” by Philip Pullman. I read the book, loved it, and ended up reading the trilogy. It’s likely I would never have found those books had I not “surfed the net” while being bored one day at work.

The brain can work that way too, by accessing everything it’s experienced. It’s just our search engines are sometimes unreliable.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Anonymity has the ability to shift us from doing the things we should do, to doing the things we want to do. Like a crime of opportunity, the no-one will ever know factor comes into play along with the no one will ever suspect me... I'm too ______(add superlative).

PS: Reminds me of an Emerson quote: Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 24, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that we are different people on the internet then in real life. Just as we are different people as we're writing then when we're talking. There are definatly similarities, were are really the same people, but I think it has to do with audiences.
In real life conversations I have a hard time saying anything. I have some kind of social anxiety, and the things that I think of saying come out short and usually rude. Here's an example last year at Uncle Orson's Writing Class there was a moment when (on a break) all of the Hatrackers were introducing themselves. Here were all of the people that I've been communicating with for quite a while and whose opinons I respected and yet I couldn't get myself to stand up and introduce myself. I just sat back in the corner and turned my Gameboy on. Then I came on here and had no problem talking to the same exact people.
The funny thing is that the anonymity of the internet is false. If I really piss someone off here then they can take steps to find me, or even to jump on to my computer and take it apart.
And yet sometimes I say stupid things because I think that I'm safe here on the moon. (Ooops forget you read that.)
Okay so now I'm rambling.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

BTW: Can anyone tell me why, when I play shooter LAN games with my friends, that I always end up stalking and killing them regardless of what team they are on?

I think I got a problem.

PS; Sniper rifles are cool.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have that problem sometimes when playing split screen Halo. It's because I'm a screen watcher, when I see myself in somebody's sights, I turn around and kill them without bothering to find out whether they're my teammate. It's not a problem when my teammates know to not center me. I can't explain why you'd do it over a lan, though. That just seems kinda demented

Robert's right about the current computer culture not lasting forever. Eventually you won't be anonymous online. Fact is, people are already less anonymous than they generally think. They all think they've got invisible rings, but that isn't the case.

As for obvious *tards, they'll always be *tards, just like they are in real life. And they'll always suffer the unavoidable consequences.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm the same person online as off. I talk more to people online than I do in normal life--but that's only because naturally I'm a shy person. Also, typing in responses allows me time to think through things as I type them, something that often is not afforded in face to face conversation.

And I get just as heated in political discussions online as offline, but online I get banned more often. Recently someone brought up Fidel Castro on a chat board at funtrivia.com . I got in a heated argument about it, in which the moderator took sides--with those against me. Whenever anyone was chastised, it was me, although the others had committed the same infractions prior to me. Finally it was taken down.

That's off subject a little. The bottom line is that a lot of people out there do masquerade as something they're not. So beware!!

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited May 25, 2006).]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I've been trying to think whether I'm the same person on=line as off-line and I think I am, but I may be more of who I relaly am online.

For example, I'm a little shy in real life. I hold back, afraid I'll say something stupid. Online I can write something, hit the backspace key, think it over some more, and then retype it. Yeah, I still end up saying stupid things but usually when I'm made.

I like to help people by offering advice but I don't have as many opportunities in real life as I do online. On hatrack alone, I've offered hundreds of critiques to a wide variety of people, some of whom certainly did not appreciate it but many of whom did.

I am opinionated in both real life and on the internet, but I feel more free to state those opinions on the internet. In real life, I may have to spend time with people everyday and if I've bodly told them my views on some controversial issues then it may become tense.

I have more choices about where to "hang out" on the internet. I've been on sites that I found to be degrading, snobby, and overly heatd. I don't go there anymore. I find hatrack to be a generally reasonable place to chat -- most people don't overstate their opinions and even if we do get into some heated debates I think everyone is *usually* respectful about it. (Thanks to Kathleen for breaking it up or closing it off when it goes otherwise.)

So I think in my case I am more real online than I am off because I feel more free to be who I really am. It's not that I lie in real life, but I do hold back.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Debating with myself on whether to say this or not, but what the heck.

I have an alternate "persona" here at Hatrack so that if I want to say something without being SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED, I can, and what I say then has no more clout than what anyone else says. (Not that what I say as SHE etc. actually has more clout, I just like to think it does.)

I have done that as well in other situations where I serve an "official" capacity and where I would like to be able to express myself unofficially at times.

Whether anyone is truly fooled and whether I am truly anonymous or not, those who know (if any) seem to be willing to go along with it. <shrug>

Just saying that there may be non-cheating reasons as well as the cheating ones.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Oh no, you're Archer?!?

There has always been the possibility of writing to the editor under an assumed name. You know, like that story about the two neighbors who hated each other but when they died they had scrapbooks of an newspaper column that they used to write to each other on. I mean, with the internet at the moment there is the opportunity for everyone to function like that.

I think there will always been an anonymity due to mass proportions. Could a stalker come after you and try to make your life hell? Sure, but most people assume the chances of that happening are no greater than ther chances of experiencing violent crime by leaving their houses. And as the sayings about violence go, I think the possibility of being sabotaged by someone who knows you is greater than from a stranger. But the idea of it being a stranger just seems more chilling, for some reason.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I've had alternate personalities on different sites before. I've spent years cultivating my personality at this site, though, and I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Hmmmm...now I'm going to wonder which one is Kathleen...

wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
On the internet it's not that I'm a different person. Different sides of me tend to come out more often though. For instance the Joker and Philosopher parts of me are more often seen then the Warrior or the Drudge. In real life I smile even when I'm sad just so others will feel alright, I am meek and become what others wish me to be. In real life I reflect those around me, only when caffiene breaks the barrier between brain and body do people see the real me, I'm a loner by nature wich is something my wife has a hard time grasping. Online I can express my opinions and still be the nice guy a truly am. I fear no pain, no reprisals so I can just be me. People don't like to see the real me, it can scare them, they prefer to have the pushover, a silent one. Here I can say my piece and show an active mind. In reality anytime I begin to discuss my thought people always change the topic, here everything can be discussed.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

I guess actually the reason I went over to the franc li screenname (I should check on that sometime) had to do with flaming out as pooka elsewhere. I was posting under a kinder, gentler name for a while but then I was getting near 2000 posts and wanted to do something else, but it was when the Hurricanes were happening and in the general perspective of things, I decided maintaining my online personna was kind of a frivolous thing to worry about.
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many sides to me in real life, so it is hard for me to say if I am that different on the internet. Like, at church, I doubt more than five people know who I am. At my old church though, every single one of them knew me, most thinking I was pretty outspoken. At work, I am a leader but when I TA'd I kept my head down and did as I was told. Could my good friends ID me without knowing my screen name? On hatrack- I would be shocked if they did, mostly because I almost never talk about writing with them. Also, I actually posted a fragment here, which would shock them since I am usually too embarassed to ask them to read anything I write.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, all that means is that you act differently in response to different circumstances.

Take hoptoad's LAN FPS example. Would he go around hunting down his friends and killing them in real life? Probably not, unless he wanted them to be dead in real life. My perspective is that he probably feels that his friends feel better about being fragged by him than by some random stranger. I know that I feel a lot less evil for killing in split-screen Halo, where I'm in the same room with the person I'm killing, than just wasting random strangers online.

People also go through ups and downs in various aspects of life. I was totally able to play Halo or any other FPS for hours on end before the beginning of this year. Then, a little bit before beating Halo 2, I just started to get bored of it. Partly because Halo 2 wasn't as good as Halo in a lot of important ways, possibly also because when you play on Legendary there's a lot of deja vu to the point where you lose track of whether the room has multiple waves of enemy spawns or you've just forgotten one of your many deaths And that last room with Tartarus...you can only shoot the same guy for so long before it starts to get kinda old. And they didn't have a special ending. I was hoping to get the real story of how Sgt. Johnson got off the first Halo

Long story short, I discovered that I was bored of Halo 2, so I started playing Halo again and found out that I was kinda bored of that too (which I wouldn't have thought possible six months ago). Come to find out...I'm bored with FPS games generally. How weird is that? It's okay, anime has neatly filled that gap. The point is that I don't currently feel tempted to go on online rampages against strangers, whereas I used to do that despite my suspicion that it was a rather cruel thing to do.

There are a lot of things I don't bring up on this forum, since it's a writing forum and not a general ranting forum. The same would be true of church (with obvious differences) or work (well, maybe) or whatever. It's not a matter of being a different person, it's a matter of being the same person in a different situation.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

So by an online rampage, do you mean "verbal" or are you speaking of sniping in an First Person Shooter? Or its it a lyrical rampage?
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a lyrical rampage, listen to Bob Dylan's Positively 4th Street. That is the definition of a lyrical rampage.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

yes... demented... that is among the epithets my friends have cast at me.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
hoptoad:

quote:
Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.

Only now it's "Judge of your natural character by what you do online?"

Well, crap. I'm done for.

Actually, the only difference I can think of for me is that I talk a lot less online than offline. Make of that what you will. I think it's scary, personally.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am who I am and don't project a false image although, like Christine, the degree of personality I choose to reveal online may differ from the level of intensity I reveal face to face.

I rather relish being blunt here on Hatrack. I value blunt critiques, so blunt comments are what I give. Face to face I've learned, through much trial and error over the years, to be more diplomatic.

In other online venues I've allowed other facets of my personality to be more prominent, whether that is through flirting, taking leadership, or being a practical joker. It's all part of who I am. It just seems a bit more intense when you don't have all the other facets of my personality to counterbalance the impression.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate confrontation in real life and online. This translates to not usually commenting on controversial topics, even if I have a strong opinion. The few times I've broken that rule I've regretted it every time.

I err on the side of caution when posting, and will often soften what I'm really thinking because of the fact that people can so easily misinterpret the written word. And I still get misunderstood on a frequent basis, especially on the other side of Hatrack. Which is why I don't post there anymore. I'm tired of getting jumped on by twenty insane people for what I think are completely innocent remarks.

All that to say, that in real life I'm much more likely to speak my mind openly than online. Among my close friends, I don't hold back or pull punches (though I simply won't bring up subjects that we've agreed to disagree about).

And I think I apologize a lot online, too. Probably too much. Oh well.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I seem to apologise a lot too...

What do you mean other side of Hatrack?

Is there a dark, brutal part I missed?

Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I act a bit differently when I'm using an anonymous online identity. For the most part I think that's because it's easy to mistake a person's tone online and it's easy to dehumanize people online. Because of those two things I get defensive more easily online, and I'm more prone to make annoyed comments. It's easy to take something a person says the wrong way, and if I don't remember that the person probably didn't mean to be offensive I sometimes can be harsher than usual. Of course, there are also times when I say things that are just plain stupid. And then it's usually me on the receiving end of a harsh comment. When that happens I feel like an idiot and usually try to apologize as quickly as I can since I really don't like having people mad at me, even when I'm anonymous. *shrug* I guess in both worlds I like to be thought of well, and try to act accordingly. I suppose I just don't have as much experience in the online world and thus I'm not always as able to make my comments come across the way they would in my real life.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
autumnmuse, are you referring to frag & feed?
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here read Asimov's THE NAKED SUN (I believe is the title. It had Naked in it)? It was the sequel to his THE CAVES OF STEEL. In THE NAKED SUN the two main characters from the STEEL were sent to solve a mystery on this world where everyone was wealthy, though it was all relative. They had their poor people, too, but poor there was enormously wealthy by comparison to the people in STEEL.

Anyway, people rarely (if ever -- it's been 30, 40 years since I read the novel) had physical contact with other people even on their own world. They had an internet sort of thing going. More like tv phones, but similar.

What I'm getting at is how this internet busniness is fostering a lack of people's ability to interact in normal social situations. I'm seeing it in my shy daughter who loves to get on the internet with her friends rather than getting to together and doing something with them in normal life.

Was/is Asimov right?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited May 26, 2006).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I meant an FPS rampage, of course. Interestingly, I don't seem to recall having a lot of combat themed dreams in the last little while. Generally I do a lot of killing in my dreams, but I can't remember any recent dreams along those lines. So maybe the equation of online reality to dream reality isn't so far off.

The "other side" of Hatrack is BFF&C and DAOSC. I don't go there very often. I went once when I heard that Card got chased off the forum (he had, but he eventually came back) and another time before that after watching episode 22 of Madlax for the first time. Before that doesn't count, since it was prior to the UBB upgrades. As indicated by the fact that I only go there when I'm either insane or really angry about something (did you hear about the time they chased OSC off the forum?), it's not a place I where I'd like to hang out.

As for Asimov, the internet is simply changing what constitutes a "normal" social situation. Back before clothes were invented, it was totally normal to be naked with complete strangers. Back before arguing was invented, it was totally normal to beat the hell out of anyone who disagreed with you. I'm relatively comfortable with both (as long as no women are present ), but that doesn't mean I consider them to still be normal in modern society.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the last place I hung out on the Internet before here, I did the cyberspace equivalent of walking away from, because of the arguments. It was part of my Internet Fan Fiction Period---but also an even more freewheeling kind of discussion than the ones that take place here.

I was willing to argue to my heart's content and to theirs...but I got the feeling that the moderators, who participated in these arguments, also controlled them. More often than not, I felt I was being shouted down. With one thing or another, without even a formal announcement, I just stopped showing up. (You may gather what you will from the fact that the arguments that cheesed both me and them off were over politics.)

I suppose moderators are necessary---I mean, somebody has to keep conversation polite and not obscene and to keep trolls and other riffraff at bay---but I'd hate to wind up in a similar situation again.

(Hmm...I wonder if I should check out the other forums---fora?---'round here.)

As I recall "The Naked Sun," interacting by video conference was the normal social situation in that particular world...physical contact was seen as something, well, dirty, though not quite in the normal sense of the word. The detective / protagonist uses this to great effect in his investigation, while struggling with his own, different, complexes and hangups.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Nowell says As I recall "The Naked Sun," interacting by video conference was the normal social situation in that particular world...physical contact was seen as something, well, dirty, though not quite in the normal sense of the word. The detective / protagonist uses this to great effect in his investigation, while struggling with his own, different, complexes and hangups.

That's exactly what I meant -- how the internet seems to foster something akin to that reaction to physical contact.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Heh heh, I just went over to the other side and posted frivolously.

Speaking of which, "fora" is listed as an alternative plural. But don't use it, that just makes you sound really geeky and mockworth. Like that guy who told Trump that the show wasn't called "The Apprenti". Apparently Trump now has a group of helpers for the show that he calls his "Apprenti". Though at least with "fora" people can look it up in some dictionaries and see that it is a "real" word.

I think that moderators can fulfil their duty to keep the forum on topic without taking sides on off-topic issues, and can shut down an off-topic tear without getting into who's right and who's wrong. KDW does this all the time when the topic turns that way around here. On the other hand, moderators also have a responsibility to help define the community, if someone is posting "on topic" but saying things that are completely incompatable with the vison of the community, I see no problem with the moderators stepping in and stating the community position.

For instance, if we were in a forum for breast cancer survivors, and some person was arguing that breast cancer was a fictional illness that served as a socially acceptable excuse for women to start down the road to transgender surgury...I would hope that the moderators would step in and say that the community position was that breast cancer was a real disease and mascectomy was a legitimate medical procedure that had prevented horrible deaths for many members of the forum. I don't think that the point should be open to argument on a forum for a community of breast cancer survivors.

Take a less extreme example and plug us into the equation. If someone comes around here talking about how we're all a bunch of wannabe writers who don't have a chance in hell of getting published or making a difference in the world, we show them the door and KDW takes our side. It may be arguable that some of us aren't published yet, and even that some of us are a long ways away it. But even if the poster were entirely correct, it still wouldn't be in keeping with the goals of this forum.

On the other hand, supposed that we had different moderators who tolerated off-topic arguments as long as their side appeared to be winning, or went ahead and persecuted members who disagreed with them about various topics. Yeah, that would really kind of suck, even for some of us who might agree with those moderators about many things.

Ultimately, every forum has moderators. Whether or not they are official depends on whether those with the power to institute an official moderator choose to set up a moderator with that power. There are forums where the official regulation is so slack that unofficial moderators rule. Lacking official methods and the restraint of being answerable to a higher authority, these moderators are usually tyrannical in the extreme. So official moderators are a good idea. But there are right ways and wrong ways to do it.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, we are a bunch of wannabe writers...but, from what I've read, some / most of us have a pretty good chance of getting published.

On that previous board I mentioned, we did have a few people who, apparently, showed up from time to time for the joy of complaining about everyone else. Occasionally they were fun to read...but mostly not. I'd hate for *that* to happen here.

I was a little concerned with Kathleen's Double Identity. I can certainly see how that would be useful---after all, moderators / posters who forgot which hat they were wearing was one of the problems I had. But I'd also hate to get into a knock-down drag-out argument with Kathleen and not know it was her...

Survivor
Member # 213

Why? Or, why Kathleen especially?

After all, assuming that you're okay with getting into an all-out argument with anyone here, it's someone....

Maybe that wasn't so clear. I suppose that the rule is to not engage in any argumentative tactic that you would feel bad about using on KDW's secret identity.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Liberty Hall has been called crazy. One person who did so is publishing 2 stories generated at LH. We're crazy like a fox.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

Hadn't thought of using my "secret" identity so I could argue with people.

Mainly it's so that I can offer feedback without risking that people will think it has any extra "authority" behind it because it's from me. I don't offer to read anyone's work in F&F as the adminstrator because I can't do that for everyone--not enough time, not enough energy. It's an attempt at being fair.

Also, that way I feel can ask for feedback on something I've written and not have to worry about anyone being too intimidated to volunteer.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh, it's just reflective of my last bad experience, I suppose. My life is filled with things like that---I've avoided McDonalds ever since a burger came back up on me in 1970. (Yet I eat other fast foods...)

Besides that, I've known Kathleen for a long time, long before I ever thought of coming here and posting---and it was Kathleen that set that off, too. I'd hate to ruin all that...

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, but everyone's someone. Just don't "ruin all that" with anyone, and you'll be fine.
pooka
Member # 1738

Speaking of OSC, he edited the wikipedia entry about him yesterday. I think I will print it out for posterity. Hopefully before anyone changes it. Wow, I scanned the entry yesterday. His changes were extensive.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I heard that Congress (Congressmen and staff) got banned from posting or changing anything at Wikipedia, owing to the nasty entries they were putting up for people on the other side of their political fences. And I guess they're not the only ones.

I'd be reluctant to use Wikipedia as a primary source without verification...

pooka
Member # 1738

Oh yeah. If kids have to do a report, what's to stop one kid from trashing the entry after he's done his report? Or the teacher from trashing the entry to trap the kids? That's probably why I'm not a teacher, because I think of this stuff.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia tends to be self-correcting.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If you don't keep your BS detector handy, staying away from Wikipedia won't exactly help you. If you do, then the worst thing that can happen is you get a good laugh. If something is a serious enough error to cry about, then it's sufficiently widespread that Wikipedia isn't the problem, it's just a symptom.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

With research online, I've had the most luck just Googling something and seeing what turns up in the first few entries. I know Wikipedia is there, and I've looked a few things up there, but it's not my primary source for information.

I've done a lot of reading and know a little about a godawful lot of stuff---but I usually want to know a little more to write about something and not sound like I'm shoveling it---even if I am, like when I talk about writing 'round here. (Once I wanted to know something about gold mining---I wanted to look like I had done more research than just watched "The Gold Rush" and "North to Alaska"---and, right off, found some blueprints for a sluice that dovetailed right into my story.)

pooka
Member # 1738

Wikipedia is my sole source of information about The DaVinci Code. I also looked up a synopsis of Scarlet on there. But it was incomplete.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I use Wikipedia for a bit of direction.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Speaking of Wikipedia again...there was just a report floating around, about a study comparing Wikipedia to the Encyclopaedia Brittanica, and finding more errors in the entries in the latter, something like three in Wikipedia to four in the Brittanica. I don't have the study in front of me, so I don't know anything about methodology or thoroughness of the study...but I gather the Brittanica people are kind of mad about the whole thing.

I can't say I've found an error in the Brittanica or any regular encyclopedia (I don't use Wikipedia often enough to be sure of it), but I find errors in non-fiction books all the time. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, that's all I can say...

pooka
Member # 1738

It was an article in Nature and the methodology was poor. I think they compared maybe 34 articles. Though that reminds me, maybe I should look up "manna" in my Brittanica. Crap. I am not even sure how to spell Britannica. They both look just as fake-Latin, though morphologically I'd have to favor the double-n.

My set of Britannica has volume 3 bound into the cover of volume 1, as well as in volume 3. So, errors of that sort are always possible.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Me, too---and obviously misspelled above. One "t" and two "n"s, I'm pretty sure...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.