Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What do women do in the restroom together? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do women do in the restroom together?
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
How boring.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go. Kill everybody's illusions...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If one woman is going, everyone tends to go so they don't cause multiple interruptions. Some women feel awkward about having to excuse themselves individually. There is obviously a component here that women almost always could use a visit to the restroom, where a lot of men don't. But I've heard the more often you go, the more often you have to.

Maybe the other women leave in order to avoid the inevitable quoting from "Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels" that will inevitably follow any such announcement.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 08, 2006).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on. They go because they have to pee?

All of them?

I've heard of synchronizing menstrual cycles before, but this is ridiculous.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
What happens in Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels?

Oh you mean; To pee with another woman, that is French.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 08, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Now that I think about this logically, it makes perfect sense. Let's say it's a party of three couples.

Woman #1 needs to pee, but she doesn't want to go alone for fear of rapists, etc. She casts a meaningful look at woman #2 as she stands up. Woman #2, taking the hint, stands up. Not wanting to be left alone with three men, two (or three) of whom she hardly knows, woman #3 also stands.

The men, being utterly incapable of detecting hints of any kind, talk about peeing with French women after they leave.

And to think my dad told me women were incomprehensible.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 09, 2006).]

quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
In some countries, homosexual marriage is legal. Then again, in some countries, such as this one, both polygamy and polyandry are legal. So, does me mentioning my husband really say anything about my gender? :dontknow:
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because you're ignorant of how male marriage partners are addressed by other male marriage partners, meaning that you aren't in such a marriage.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Do gay men ever affect or enhance the inability to find their way around a building? I guess since their hypothalami are small, and that is the direction center in rats, it is possible.

It's not that they do all have to pee simultaneously, but they know they will at some point during the next couple of hours, so why not now?

The DRS quote I was thinking of was "Brother, may I go to the bathroom?" "Yes, Ruprecht".

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the story of the vow of silence at the monastery, where the monks spoke only for a minute every twenty years, where the first question a monk asked was, "Where's the bathroom?"
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed the best part after "Yes Ruprecht.": "Thank you." followed with a relived facial expression.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambrosia
Member # 3487

- posted      Profile for ambrosia   Email ambrosia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey trousercruit, question for you. I write for the 100 Hour Board, and we just received a question about you. Or, rather, we just received a question about Mr. Writing Person. The question reads:

I've been reading Mr. Writing Person (mr-writing-person.blogspot.com). As he suggests, I'm working on using subjugular normative form for emphasis in my writing. ("Swang" for "swing," and "brang" for "bring," for example. In use:
"Suddenly, the door swang open!!!") I'm having problems identifying others, especially since some seem to be doing double duty with past tense forms, like "sang" for "sing." Also, "thank" seems to be the subjugular normative form of "think," but I'm not sure. "He thank about it long and hard" reads funny. . . .

[I]s Mr. Writing Person related to Mister Language Person? If he's not, who is he?

-Continually Learning Mom
[edited for length and . . . stuff]

Would you care to reply?

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambrosia
Member # 3487

If you are interested in responding, you're welcome to email me at ambrosia.ananas@gmail.com.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I sent an email. It had problems the first time, so I sent it again. The second email, which appears to have gotten to you, may have some formatting issues. If so, I apologize.
ambrosia
Member # 3487

Perfect. Thanks. : )
pooka
Member # 1738

I knew a speaker of another language who produced "thank" as a past tense of "think" once.

So does this thread come up if you google "Mr. Writing Person"? Or is Ambrosia an alias that trousercuit set up? I'm so skeptical, it really is a shame I can't enjoy the wonder of life more.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

probably cynical rather than skeptical, being uncertain what the consensus may be.

hmmm, or both

PS: me too

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

It's okay to be jealous of women and fame and glory and millions in advertising revenue, pooka. EDIT: And hoptoad. By the way, the acid test will be whether the question shows up on the 100 Hour Board. Or maybe not, because I could secretly be in on that, too. But then, why would I post here under a pseudonym looking for myself if that were true?

Anyway, right now, it turns up when you Google for "mr. writing person" subjugular normative, but not mr. writing person subjugular normative or "mr. writing person" or mr. writing person (with or without quotes).

I checked out the 100 Hour Board before sending my response to ambrosia. It's a Q&A thingy hosted by the BYU Linguistics department, and really quite interesting to read. (About 1/2 of the questions may be interesting only to Mormons, BYU students, or Provo residents, though.) I also discovered that the guy who wrote "Life, by Dan Brown," that Da Vinci Code parody, knows a lot of these people in real life (not just online - I think). Also, a couple of them linked to Hatrack from their blogrolls.

It's a small, small, interconnected world. I'd love to run some graph analysis on this stuff.

Has this ever gotten off-topic. Peeing French women, anyone?

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 14, 2006).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Jealous?
I am not jealous.
I am trousercruit.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 15, 2006).]

No you're not, we are!

[This message has been edited by ambrosia (edited June 15, 2006).]

No. You're right.
I am Illiterati.
Lord of the subjaguars.
( Am I not awesome? )

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 15, 2006).]

trousercuit
Member # 3235

quote:
I am Illiterati.
Lord of the subjaguars.

OH MY HECK.

Okay, that's, like, the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to make comment on single women bathroom-herding vs. married woman bathroom-herding, but I'm afraid I came into the conversation too late and the topic is moot. ;P
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

This topic is never moot.
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Hum-Kay. I think the inital assertation that women go in to check their make-up and hair usually, not always, applies to single women. Married women, unless trying to impress husband's bosses or clandestine lovers or future sisters-in-laws, are going to the bathroom to go to the bathroom. Women in general tends towards herding because we want to talk to other women about what women like to talk about. If a woman get stuck alone at the table with the men, then we're forced to talk about things men like to talk about, which isn't any fun to anyone but a man.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Alrighty, since I asked for help, I thought some of you would be interested that I've finally posted the column that deals with this, er, "issue."

http://mr-writing-person.blogspot.com/

Thanks again, everybody. It was most enlightening.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

No heroin? No kissing practice? WTF?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

The world isn't populated with just heroin addicts and kissing practicers, Beth.

It's populated with heroin addicts, kissing practicers, and nit chewers. I'd be lying to my readers if I didn't produce examples that were representative in the aggregate.

Actually, here's the deal: heroin addicts aren't funny to portray, just to talk about. (A lot of humorous stuff is like that.) And the kissing practice... I just plum forgot. I could have had one of the guys snogging a spigot and everything. D'oh!

EDIT: Hmm... it's not too late to change it...

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited August 04, 2006).]

trousercuit
Member # 3235

Bah! Curse that Mr. Writing Person and his actions and gestures! I can't get the full comedic effect of "snogging a spigot" in the first example because it's not supposed to use descriptive verbs. It doesn't fit in the second, and in the third, Mr. Writing Person is so utterly clueless that he wouldn't even come close to having the ladies practice kissing. They're too busy making mutagen-injected nuclear garden lizards jealous...

Ah, well. There's always the follow-up.

authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the real truth in the Q and A on a friend's website:

quote:
--Why do girls always go to the bathroom in groups? What's up with that? Are they scared they'll fall in or something, and need a friend to rescue them?

I believe it is because in the girls bathrooms there are enchanted portals into another realm, a realm in which the females are in a desperate battle against an ambigous alien oppressor, and "having to pee" is just code for "I have to go save the alternate universe, my commander just contacted me via internal communicating system," a system I can only speculate is in one of the regions specific to girls only. I also believe that one Sian Ricketts must be an otherworldly Joan of Arc, as she is called into battle far too many times for there to be any other explanation.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Curses! Our real motive has been uncovered!
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Your fatal mistake was trying to pretend that women would have actual bodily functions just like men. Of course, it would seem logical for men to believe it, but the concept is simply so contrary to a man's fundamental sense of reality that no man truly believes it. When you use such a fundamantally unbelievable story as your cover, it's sure to fall apart sooner rather than later.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
They do exactly the same thing that men do in the bathroom, except they wash their hands afterward.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Oh, I wash my hands before.
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I always go to the restroom with other women to plot the next phase of our world takeover plan. The bathroom is the safest location for plotting, but first we discuss boring things like lipstick in case anyone is listening in. By the time we get to, "Honey Rose stays on better than Frosted Pink," it's a sure bet no one is listening anymore.

Well, sometimes we go in groups to plot talking our dates out of going to a horror movie. Then we make them watch a grainy foreign film with eye-straining yellow subtitles instead.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

...sending the unwitting dates blind — all the easier to take over the world, eh louise?

mwahahahhaa!

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh darn, I've said too much, It was okay to talk about bathroom plans for world takeover, but our fiendish use of yellow foreign film subtitles was a secret!
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, fine. Now I suppose you are going to reveal the fact that ChickFlick films are actually our source of imbedded, subliminal secret code information, which is where we get our command orders from the Galactic Interpol Revolutionary Liberation Squad (GIRLS). Way to go with spilling the beans...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Blast you, Elan, you're a member of those upstarts? GIRLS wages psychological warfare not only on men but on rival women's organizations such as TAMPON (Tough Active Menacing People Overawing Nations). Yeah, I know, we're working on the name, okay? The problem is these darn committees can't come to an agreement on anything.

The point is, chick flicks destroy the brain cells of both men and women and can cause undignified bouts of crying and giggling. It's like dropping a nuke. Sure it kills your enemy, but the fallout kills everyone else around, too.

Never mind, we'll deal with your sort at the international level. WOMB (The Women's Oversight-committee on Mental Bombs), having finally realized the devastating effects of chick flicks, is sure to declare their use a crime against humanity.

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited August 08, 2006).]

Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody's taking notes on this, right?
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I'm laghuing too hard to take noets!
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Or spell it right.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.