Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? 06-06-06

Author Topic: Did You Write? 06-06-06
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? 06-06-06

This used to be a regular post I used to do. I ran out of time and had to give it up. The big reason was to humiliate myself into writing.

The question to you is "did you write?"

I have. Not much, but I did write. Even recently

I am an idea ahead on my regular posts on the story ideas. Not spectacular, but not bad. Last year It was not until the last few months of the year that I actually got ahead.
The story ideas have been fun to write lately. The fun part is really what I am after when I do them. I still do at least 365 of the ideas in a year. I never know where they come from, but they are nice to create.

I wrote a new Waxy Dragon story. It is #17 Waxy and Rufuzz. I wrote 15 stories last year, and this is my second one this year. I have some eight stories sitting next to my keyboard about her adventures. This one cropped up this weekend, and exploded on the keyboard. It took me about three hours to write the five pages.
For those who do not know, Waxy Dragon is a year old baby dragon, about the size of a cat. In the stories, I am known as Bubblehead, and I use a portal to visit the worlds that become the stories in my ideas. I become invincible, and enter a world and the computer records what I see there. In that invincible state, I cannot interact with the world at all, and simply get to watch the events, sort of like a god. My wild fantasy and science fiction stories are really just dry, humorless, unimaginative, sloppy descriptions of what happened in the world I visited.
Anyway, Some of Waxy's adventures involve her entering the portal and visiting some of the worlds of my story ideas. The computer also records what she does.
My present intention with these stories is to eventually publish them as a series of children's books. Recently, I decided I should wait until I have a good hundred stories written before I start publishing. Mainly so that I can have a consistent world in which the stories happen. In the stories I have written so far, I have involved some inconsistencies and this last story is near a point where I have to decide where her personality is to be. I have had complaints about what she has become. I have to decide her nature and modify the rest of the stories to that point.
For now, I intend to write a bunch of stories that happen before this last story happened. I am figuring she will eventually have an adventure a week. Waxy will be a character that never grows up. I already decided she will be the size of a cat until she is five years old. Five years is 260 stories. If I write that many stories, I will be doing well.
A novel, by my calculations on running page counts, is about twenty five stories. I realized it would be OK if that was all the stories I had. The problem appears if I do not have two novels worth, or three novels etc. I decided that as individual children's books, with pictures and such, I can go as far as the adventures will take me.

I have done no other writing that these stories. The Waxy stories are a bit fantasy and a bit science fiction, so I have no problems with that.
There are a good number of story Ideas I have posted over time, that I would love to write complete. Usually about two ideas a month fit that description. I don't have time for that. I also don't have time to edit and finish up stories I have written or started, over the years. I think about them periodically, and shrug. Until I can afford to stay home, they will remain as they are.

How are you doing?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to write, either later today or tomorrow. But it's been fairly blank for me since early March. I've got two short story rough drafts to keep polishing, plus an outline for a novel that came to me in a dream the week before last. (Plot, characters, a good deal of background---everything except when and where the damned thing takes place.) And there's that essay I promised someone, already written down, but needing a major rewrite...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just checking this forum while I eat breakfast, and then I'm doing 2 hours of working on my novel. Yesterday I spent a lot of my time reading about Martin Luther. In the end I decided not to go that direction, but the reading really stimulated my thinking process.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading books of history for an alternate universe, so I'm not writing, but still, it's related to my short stories.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
To anyone having difficulty writing I seriously recommend getting a laptop and a commute.

Two hours on a train every day. I've never written so much than in the past week and a half.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a laptop….it died, sigh. Now I’m stuck sharing a desktop with my five year old and one year old. It’s hard to write seriously when you have to keep stopping to visit nickjr.com. Oh well, if you see Blue as a MC in an upcoming F&F you’ll know why
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Too hard to type on the laptop while driving. Closest train station is 20+ miles from my house. (Not to mention the fact that the track hasn't been installed yet.)
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isanthe
Member # 3078

- posted      Profile for Isanthe           Edit/Delete Post 
I put in 3 hours today on two short stories. I wanted to do 4 but had an obligation tonight. I'll try to make it up before bedtime.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.