Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Jargon in writing

Author Topic: Jargon in writing
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Supremacy (trying to sate a pulp thriller bug that has had me at its mercy for a couple of weeks now), and I kept being bothered by the clumsiness of some of the action sequences (this is NOT a thread about writing action; which topic has been discussed ad naseum).

They seemed clunky to me because Ludlum used descriptively useful but technically incorrect terms--terms that a firearm expert like the main character would never think in--to describe the firearms. For example, the sentence "Bourne slammed the half-empty clip into the handle of the gun. Four shells left, he thought." made me wince. But it also got me thinking--how is jargon or technical language best used is fiction?

If we're hovering somewhere around Bourne's POV, and Bourne is an expert in firearms, he would never think in terms like "clip", "handle of the gun", or "shells." He would think "magazine", "magazine well" (or "butt") and "rounds".

On the other hand, readers might recognize technically inaccurate terms like those used by Ludlum more readily than they would recognize correct jargon. And no rule dictates that raw description has to be colored by the POV.

So the question is this: what factors do you consider when deciding between technically correct and descriptively useful (but technically incorrect) language? I think I have my own system, but I'm interested to hear what you (that's y'all, if you're from the south) do.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Always be aware of what the origins of your terms are. For instance role players frequently talk about longswords and platemail, which are simply wrong.

Use mostly terms that a lay reader will recognize. When talking about technical details, include accurate technical terms in places where its obvious what you are talking about. Ideally, the reader will learn the meaning of the technical word by it's use. The definition they learn will not be exact, but it will be accurate.

Generally stick to your PoV character's thoughts. If your PoV character is a gun expert then its a magazine, not a clip. If your PoV character is a Role-Player in a museum it just might be platemail. To a 11th century crusader its armour for plate armor and mail for armor made of interlocking round links. His sword is probably just a sword.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand what you're saying...even down to a similar example from a book I recently read. The author first described a character's weapons as revolvers, then later had that same character 'change magazines/clips' in the middle of an action scene. I'd love to see someone try that in real life, but it totally threw out my faith in the author's technical accuracy. To be honest, I'm a bit of a hobbyist when it comes to firearms, but even non-enthusiasts could pick up on that big of a mistake.

In my opinion, this kind of jargon issue is less one of quantity, but more of quality (although too much of a good thing is a bad thing; some of Tom Clancy's books are excellent examples of this, since he can go on for pages about the inner workings of a Mk.65 torpedo warhead...bleh). If your 'jargon' is relative to the plot of the story, doesn't exceed the bounds of reasonable reader knowledge (what you can expect the average reader of your type of story to know), and fits well into the flow of the exposition, keep it in. If at any time it becomes totally unnecessary to the enrichment of the reader's experience, or the relaying of vital information, strongly consider why you've included it in the first place.

This is how I've tried to do it in recent years, though my writing can still lean toward the ponderous side. At least, my military SF does, but that's mainly because military SF is usually saturated with such jargon to begin with. However, I have fought a long battle with using language that's too technical for clear, enjoyable reading. Only recently have I developed a better conscience for such things, I think...and that's mainly due to helpful feedback in F&F. Still, it is a tricky decision to make...especially with more technical genres.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited June 29, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
"I completely understand what you're saying...even down to a similar example from a book I recently read. The author first described a character's weapons as revolvers, then later had that same character 'change magazines/clips' in the middle of an action scene. I'd love to see someone try that in real life, but it totally threw out my faith in the author's technical accuracy. To be honest, I'm a bit of a hobbyist when it comes to firearms, but even non-enthusiasts could pick up on that big of a mistake."

Sometimes mistakes like this is caused either by forgetting for a moment, or in changes in editing. I do worse mistakes than that in some of my works. True, mistakes like that should be caught, but it sometimes happens.
I saw in one TV show where the police were firing revolvers, but they pulled out another load where the bullets were held in place with a plastic band. One simply slipped the banded bullets into the holes and removed the band. Faster loading than slipping individual bullets. I know little about guns, but would that not be referred to as a clip?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know the difference. I know a six-shooter only has six shots...

It may also be a deliberate choice on the author's part to make the story more accessible to people who are not in the field. For instance, I wrote a story with a puppeteer in it and simplified some of the jargon or included definitions in my character's thoughts because people outside theater just didn't get it. In a story about touring puppeteers I went from:

quote:
Jules was standing next to me, and without speaking headed for the proscenium. We’d been on the road together long enough...

to
quote:
Jules was standing next to me, and without speaking we headed for the canvas that made our proscenium arch. The mass of cloth lay on the gym floor, attached to a long wooden batten like a sail waiting for wind. As one, we hoisted it on poles, letting the cloth unfurl and define the front of our stage. We’d been on the road together long enough...

Granted, that's not the same as using the wrong name for something, but it is putting thoughts in my character's head that don't happen in real life. And it's happening so that people who aren't in the field understand what is going on.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think "clip" is wrong or inaccurate the way "handle" and "shells" are. If we were talking about a box magazine, I would definitely have a problem with it, but this is apparently describing an automatic pistol with a spring-fed magazine that is held in place by a simple catch. I call those "clips".

I was more troubled by the way he inverts the Bourne's mental and physical actions. I was also a little bothered by an ambiguity arising from that, does he mean four rounds including or in addition to the one in the barrel? "Shells" contributes to that, it implies that he was counting the casings visible to him rather than all the shots he had remaining.

In other words, I don't think that the choice is between "technically correct" and "descriptively useful" language. There is the language that will convey the correct idea, and the language that will convey an incorrect or unclear image. From Mary's example, most of us theater people think of the proscenium as being the part of the stage that is in front of the curtain. This includes any elements of the set that are placed there (like the canvas she describes), but that's not what we would think of first. We'd be thinking of a solid platform extending in front of the performance area. Non-theater people would probably just be thinking "what the heck is a 'proscenium'?" or "I thought this was going to be a family friendly story!" or something like that.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose a certain amount of jargon is necessary, but it should be kept to a minimum, and always clear from the context. (I've always thought the latter-day "Star Trek" shows were loaded down with unintelligible jargon.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because what they were saying actually made no sense.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I don't think you were there yet when I pointed out the basketball on top of the proscenium the other night. No one knew what I was talking about.

This does raise some questions about my need to clarify some jargon that will inevitably come up in my story.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also important to have people read the story who don't know anything about the field. I had no idea that proscenium was jargon until folks here read the story.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited June 30, 2006).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
A perfect description of the POV character's thoughts is a terrible storytelling technique. Remember, your narrator is telling a story to your reader and should choose words that the reader will comprehend.

Write for your audience.

IMO Ludlum did a fine job with that description.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Perfect POV wouldn't be in words anyway. And for most stories, it would involve things like pain, and sitting on the crapper, and finding a tick on your head....

You know those futuristic narratives that are supposed to be recorded experiences? I bet they edit those.

But perfectly written POV is going to be in language that the reader understands clearly because being clearly understandable is the first criterion of any written work being perfect.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young and first beginning to read "long books," I can remember finding all kinds of words I didn't know. I was lazy, and never bothered to look them up, and just made up meanings that seemed to fit the context. So jargon didn't bother me, until I started taking those standardized tests, and my "definition" wouldn't be one of the choices. To this day, I sometimes find words don't mean what I thought they did, and can look back to the very book where I "learned" them.

Now, I'm less forgiving of jargon. If I gotta go look it up (I'm less lazy now), I get mad and assume the author is deliberately talking over my head. (And then, when the word means something neat, and I'm glad I had to look it up, I forgive the author immediately.) My point, if I truly have one, goes back to "everything in moderation." Some jargon is fun, but too much of it and I start not caring whether or not the author really has anything to teach me. The long words have definitions, which are usually made up of shorter words. I wish some authors would use those.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't get mad about having to look up a word. But I will nit a word if it's clearly archaic or very technical, whether or not I had to look it up. I know what "proscenium" means, but I also know that not many people not actually trained or working in theater will know it.

My biggest beef is when writers use "big" words wrong, or at least in stilted, unnatural usages. That tells me they didn't really know those words themselves.

Tephirax
Member # 3534

- posted      Profile for Tephirax           Edit/Delete Post 
I found Ludlum's dumbing-down of the quoted line rather colourless. Then again, I consider myself to have a fairly wide vocabulary, and had no clue what a proscenium was (and I've done my fair share of acting, too).

I think it's the trick of finding that perfect balance. If the jargon is self-explanatory from the context, there's no reason why not to use it, especially if it adds to characterisation. If adding a word or two of explanation is enough and doesn't break up the flow, use it. If you're going to need a line or more to explain your jargon, it's probably not worth the effort even if it would be in character.

Teph

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the longer version of the "proscenium" fragment. I would have needed the description.

I think the issue, as is common, is making the author disappear as much as possible, which implies striking a balance.

The best thing I ever wrote -- not saying much, true -- was a story about a skilled woodworker. (I'm trying to strike a balance here, too: he'd probably consider himself a "cabinetmaker", even though he doesn't actually make many cabinets.) For me to disappear from the writing, I had to use the terms that a real-life skilled woodworker (or at least someone who watches too much _New Yankee Workshop_) would perceive as telling details that made this character a known entity to him. Planes, plane irons, backsaws, dadoes, fixtures, things of that sort.

But it had to be done in a way that wouldn't confuse people who _don't_ know woodworking, so I used them in a context that showed dedication to craft, and avoided them otherwise. Someone who doesn't know a fixture from a jig would still be able to know that he was using them to achieve exceptional precision.

I don't know how well I hit the mark, but I think it was a good mark to shoot for.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember once watching a documentary that has Barbra Streisand narrating something. She used the word "proscenium" while talking about the relationship of actors to the audience (I think---it's been a long time since I saw it)...but, though I knew what it was and (eventually) what she meant, it took me two or three seconds to grasp the meaning.

I've generally taken it as a lesson about what words to use and where. Though sometimes one-word-and-no-other will do, it's best to keep ones vocabulary simple and within reach of the intended audience---for clarity, if for no other reason.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.