Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Need a market

Author Topic: Need a market
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sending out my psychic story this week, and I don't know what market to try for. I'll probably be ambitious and send it to Playboy first, but after that, I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's not sci-fi because it doesn't use new technology, it has a mystery element but it's not a crime solver, it has one or two literary touches, but it's not literary, it's not adventure, and I have no clue what publishers mean when they say experimental.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I'm looking for a market, I start with the listings at Duotrope. There are approximately seventy gazillion, so you should be able to find something that you think is a good fit for the story. For best results, read a few issues of the magazine first; that should give you some idea of whether your story belongs there or not. You probably won't be able to get most of them at your local convenience store like you can with Playboy, but it's usually easy to buy copies via the internet.

If you don't know what "experimental" means, there's a very high chance that your story isn't. Basically it means you're experimenting with language, structure, form, etc. Typically very literary or on the literary side of genre.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the explanation, when I think experimental, I think test tubes and lab coats, and when I looked for a definition on the web, I couldn't make sense of that, either.

I'll check out Duotrope and go check out my writer's guide again, too. Since so many publishers seem to frown on simultaneous submissions, I'm looking for the best bet out there. Well, except Playboy. That's a lousy bet. They don't encourage new writers to submit at all, so I probably shouldn't bother, but I'm tempted anyway.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

I wish I'd heard of Duotrope a long time ago. As late as last night would have been fine. I submitted something to Glimmertrain, it's listed as #1 most daunting. Apparantly, they reject everything, although you wouldn't know it from looking at their website.
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Duotrope is golden. I've been using them since they had only 700 listings and they're now up to near 1100. They also started carrying novels/anthology markets. Their search is invaluable.

I love 'em to death.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor has it that ralan.com is going to switch to a database so it will be searchable. It's a great resource even without the ability to search.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Between Duotrope and Ralan, I'm finding lots of markets for several stories. These are great resources. Thank you thank you thank you.

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know Glimmertrain was that difficult... Maybe I should dust off the story they rejected and send it somewhere else...
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Any good online markets for novels?

I don't do the "short story thang."

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Duotrope has listings for novels, too.

http://www.duotrope.com/rtstats.aspx

Glimmertrain lists as daunting. On the other hand, Glimmertrain has an easy to use and friendly online submission form. *Shrug* Maybe it's not a good idea to take rankings like those to heart, even though the rest of Duotrope is insanely useful.

Edited to correct myself: Duotrope has some listings for longer short fiction. I guess the word length is novella.

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited July 20, 2006).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralan lists plenty of book publishers.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.