Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Holy Guacamole Batman!

Author Topic: Holy Guacamole Batman!
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a crazy story from the NY Times (need to register to read - but it's free...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/13/science/13brain.html?_r=1&--

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Mr. Nagle would then imagine moving his arm to hit various targets. The implanted sensor eavesdropped on the electrical signals emitted by neurons in his motor cortex as they controlled the imaginary arm movement.

Cool, the paralyzed man could operate a mouse cursor. But:

quote:
Implants like the one he received had previously worked in monkeys. There have also been some tests of a simpler sensor implant in people, as well as systems using electrodes outside the scalp.

Suddenly animal testing of new technologies doesn't seem like such a great idea. The idea of remote sensors is also a little creepy.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited July 13, 2006).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy in a "oh, that poor monkey" way or a "hey, a monkey shouldn't be controlling an industrial--ARGH!" way?
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kadri
Member # 3402

- posted      Profile for Kadri   Email Kadri         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. The guy can play pong with his miiiind...
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
If it would give me the ability to type without typing or speaking, you could park a volkswagon in my brain.

"Dragon Naturally Thinking" only takes 2 months to train to 65% accuracy!

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's "hey, a monkey shouldn't be controlling an industrial--ARGH!"

So Dragon Naturally Thinking is an imaginary product? I'm only familiar with their speech-recognition tools (which were way more than 65% accurate right out of the box, for me).

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This stuff is pretty old hat by now, though. I think it was old hat a couple of years ago, even.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
[In addition, the implant would ideally transmit signals wirelessly out of the brain, doing away with the permanent hole in the head and the accompanying risk of infection.]

Wireless for the win.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad did a lot of work for that project.

::Proud grin::

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the "ARGH" reading. Fortunately, the monkeys always go for the blue pill.

My husband got this book called "Drawing on the powers of Heaven" from a guy at church where it mentions the possibility that our thoughts are being recorded through some means that hasn't been invented yet. :jibblies:

It would be easy enough to record thoughts; playing them back is a horse of a different color. Except in that one story I was looking at writing with the time contraction.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.