Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Startling Statistics on Reading and Writing

Author Topic: Startling Statistics on Reading and Writing
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out: http://parapublishing.com/sites/para/resou.../statistics.cfm

I was particularly taken aback by number of people who read as adults, and number of people who think they can write! Those who do buy books must make up for those who don't, or publishers would go out of business.

I cherish in my heart the story told in Joel Engel's Rod Serling biography of Serling's running a contest to tap public talent, only to be bombarded by such a pile of junk he learned the sad truth: most people can't write!

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a "Page not found." At least, I think that's what it says.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the URL got garbled. Probably this one?
http://www.parapublishing.com/sites/para/resources/statistics.cfm

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

63% of adults report purchasing at least one book during the previous three-month period.

Math has never been my strongest subject, but I'm just not sure about those numbers.

quote:
One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. Many do not even graduate from high school.

I'll have to say, I've never met a high school graduate who hadn't graduated from high school.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you google around, you'll find lots of commentary on how crocked those statistics are.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Oh, good, now I have one less thing to be confused/depressed about...I think.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing book purchases with bookstore use...who says you have to buy a book in a bookstore? Practically every store I go into will have some kind of book for sale...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think you can find plenty to be depressed about in the reading habits of the American public; it's just that these statistics don't hold up.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
eBook sales increased 1,442% in January 2003 over January 2002.
--Publishers weekly, March 24, 2003.
http://www.PublishersWeekly.com

That's interesting news.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Guilty as charged. I'll see an interesting book in a bookstore, then buy as good a copy cheaper online.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Something like Amazon.com might as well be a bookstore...I was thinking more of supermarkets and airport newsstands...and even the modern-day hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowe's always carry a large selection of do-it-yourself books.

(I've usually found the online discounts usually disappear when postage and handling are factored in...it doesn't matter to me much.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of writing like sports. Everybody has done a bit of it. many of them might have been published in papers that don't pay. It is only when you become really good that you actually can make a living at it.
Unlike the sports, though, there is no "farm" system for writing. People write, submit, and if they are good enough, get published. Some can do that the first time they submit, others might have to work at it for a long period of time.

Like is sports, there are those who have loads of talent, and no heart, and end up unpublished.

In essence, if you can put one word after another, you can write. The ability to put them in an order that can be published, is something else.

On other boards, I include in my signature a quote I attribute to "Scott Card" which I learned recently is our beloved Orson.

"If you write, you are a writer. If you are not talented, you will not get published as often, or at all."

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.