Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hathor, Hebrews and Plagues (question)

Author Topic: Hathor, Hebrews and Plagues (question)
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are very smart people in this forum. This is for anyone who's read up on Jewish traditions/history/scripture.

I'm working on a story that tells the story of Exodus from the viewpoint of a Hebrew slave who freed himself before Moses shows up by pledging himself to Hathor, the Egyptian goddess. At the time the sixth plague (boils) occurs, he's still working in Hathor's temple.

My question:

Because he's Hebrew, would this plague have passed him by, even if he's working in an Egyptian temple?

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discipuli
Member # 3395

- posted      Profile for discipuli   Email discipuli         Edit/Delete Post 
not sure... Depends on how you create the character , your world and the book.. Does he do it merely for freedom ? Does he adopt the whole egyptian religion and forsake his own?

I doubt scripture covers this area , you'd have to ask a rabbi ? its more of a philosophical question.. Would God strike down a Hebrew who worships egyptian gods?

[This message has been edited by discipuli (edited July 17, 2006).]

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: Stream of conciousness follows:

well, they mostly all did worship egyptian gods, at least in part. Isn't that the essence of the golden calf episode? This story is pre-decalogue.

I am unsure whether you could 'convert' to some egyptian style worship, not that you couldn't but more like it wouldn't be thought of in those terms.

There were shades of grey in worship.

Your character would probably be seen by strict Hebrews in a way similar to how they would view someone having an adulterous affair. Even though they are married they are having fun with someone else. Who cares how long it will last or how intense it is? When it boils down to it it is an illegitimate relationship. That is because being Hebrew was as much about race as religion.

( Remember that the pharaoh that caused problems at the time of Moses was described as one that "knew not Joseph." That means he probably had no sense of who the Hebrews were, nor the previous pharaoh's promise that the sons of Jacob should "eat the fat of the land of egypt", nor the Hebrews past contributions to Egypt. Hmmm That's a lot to forget. Because the pharaohs of Joseph's time were probably Hyksos --a semitic race-- and were similar to the Hebrews in appearance and had similar languages etc, a pharaoh that arose who "knew not Joseph" probably indicates one of different racial descent to previous pharaohs. )

So to my mind, the problem is more one of racial identification, than religious identification. Your character's dilemma will arise less at the time of the plagues than it will at the time of the 'destroying angel' when the Hebrews had to identify themselves with the blood of a lamb on their lintels/doorposts. To me, that seems the more likely the time of crisis for your character "Do I -- or don't I?"

Remember too, that his 'conversion', 'pledging' or 'dalliance with hathor' does not mean the character has lost his family connections. His family will probably be sending him warnings and messages, begging him to "do the right thing" and relaying to him the things that Moses has said and how to protect himself.

answer to your question IMO: One interesting point is the mention that the Hebrew quarter, as a sign from God, would be the only place in Egypt unaffected by the plagues (Exodus 8:22 -- it's one of those 'Aha!' verses.). So you may want to consider that living outside the Hebrew quarter would be the deciding factor in whether this character is susceptible to the plagues. I reckon that the character gets boils if he lives outside of Goshen.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 18, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the modern interpretation would be, no, he's still a Hebrew no matter what false gods he worships.

But that's the modern version, after the Babylonian captivity and all that followed and developed. Possibly their version of who was Hebrew and who wasn't might not have been as strict.

Of course, at the time, God had shown up and revealed himself to Moses---but, at that point, the Ten Commandments, and in particular "Thou shalt have no God before me," were still some time in the future. Maybe characters like this would be a reason for God to issue a commandment like that...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, those were the years of the angry, vengeful God who was setting his hose straight. If the slave worshipped Hathor daily and had forsaken God - then he too would have been affected by the plagues. If the slave begged God's forgiveness and returned then he would be saved...

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
All we really know about this period is in Exodus, so I'd say read that section, and if you still don't know, you're free to make it up.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
God who was setting his hose straight

I bet God's hose never run. After all why would she bother if pantyhose were as flawed as they are here?

Sorry, couldn't help straying off topic.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think she wears pantyhose. Maybe that's what you meant.

As for the main question, insofar as this "Hebrew" was able to be accepted as an Egyptian at the time of the plagues, and was living as one, he would probably be accounted one for purposes of the plagues. The thing about the immunity being localized is a good point too.

If you think about it, there were probably a lot Israel's descendants amongst the Egyptians. Given how the sons (and grandsons) of Jacob are described earlier in Genesis, I find it hard to believe that they didn't take full advantage of being close to the throne of Egypt back before Israel fell from favor. Okay, I'm not even trying to believe it, because it's silly.

What exactly makes this Hebrew different from all the other Egyptians who could trace their ancestry back to Abraham if they really felt like it?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks to all who have responded so far. You've given me some things to think about. Specifiying "Goshen" was part of what got me questioning whether or not my MC would be affected by the sixth plague.

I didn't think there needed to be anything more said about this character -- I thought the question was abstract -- but here it is.

He was born an Israelite in the land of Goshen and raised in Judaism as it existed at the time. His family before and all through the story are faithful, but my MC begins questioning God's actions in allowing his "chosen people" to remain in slavery to the Egyptians. An event I have yet to decide on occurs that convinces him he'd be better off free even if he's working for an Egyptian god than a slave worshipping a god who obviously doesn't care about his people. My research so far says that, according to Egyptian law, a slave could free himself by seeking sanctuary in a temple. So, that's what he does.

He doesn't serve Hathor because he believes in her. Her "branch" was the closest at the time. Plus, there's the fertility rites. However, at the time the story begins, he's found a purpose there in helping women get ready for birth (Hathor was also a goddess of motherhood), so he's not as self-centered as my description originally makes him seem.

That's pretty much the backstory. At the time the story begins, he's at peace with his life. And then his family tries to tell him about Moses and the plagues come and everything gets turned upside down. And my MC is once again questioning God's character and his justice/mercy.

(hoptoad, the sixth plague is just a part of the questioning. The final plague is the climax of my story where he finally makes his decision.)

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Heh. What does "faithful" mean?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Your question about whether your character would suffer from the plagues seems like it would be best answered by whatever theological point you'd like to make about God and His relationship to the Hebrew people.

One caution on that score: if God exists (as I believe He does), and that He cares about what people say about Him (again, a matter of belief), you would be well-advised to undergird whatever theological point you choose to make with due diligence and subjective good-faith.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to make a similar point, perhaps less clear (okay, okay a lot less clear ).

Maybe to know how G*D identifies the character... in your world... you first have to know how the character identifies himself. It matters less whether he gets boils or not because either eventuality will tend to confirm the character's latent view of himself.

PS Keeley:

quote:

...the sixth plague is just a part of the questioning. The final plague is the climax of my story where he finally makes his decision.

Perhaps that may be because he is the firstborn of his family?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Survivor: that's a very good question.

J: I'll keep your words in mind.

hoptoad: at this point, no, but he cares about someone who is (who doesn't?).

Survivor
Member # 213

I know hoptoad has already mentioned this, but do remember that enough of the children of Israel were expert in idol worship for the Golden Calf incident to occur.

Also, don't forget the racial issue. If this guy is from an established Hebrew family, he's going to have real trouble avoiding the persecution. It's like being black in the ante-bellum South. Yeah, you could get out of slavery, there were free black men around. But you didn't stop being black.

These points don't address your actual question (whether God would smite this particular guy with boils) much. But they're important to remember.

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes this guy's questioning different from what they have Moses do in The 10 Commandments?

Is you point whether he would try to make himself appear to have boils? Did he suffer the thirst and hunger along with the rest of the Egyptians? Did he pretend to have the lice?

The whole situation with Moses being adopted by the daughter of Pharaoh has been interpreted in vastly different manners as well. Though I tend toward the idea that he had a workable disguise or the equivalent thereof at the time a taskmaster was beating a Hebrew in front of him and he killed him. But there are situations where you don't really need a disguise- someone's assumption about you often fills in the details.

I'm half asian and I've had people swear they didn't notice I was asian at all, and others assume I was 100% asian- including other asians. So go figure. Maybe it's a man/woman thing. Men look at the body more and women look at the face more. I have a "pear-shaped" body, which is somewhat rare in an asian.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer questions.

On the difference between this and 10 Comm.: I haven't written the first draft yet, so I can't give a detailed answer. I know this focuses more on the Egyptian, non-Pharoah response to the plagues and the reaction of those who sympathized with the Egyptians. I didn't see much sympathy in the Ten Commandments. Stone Tables did a much better job but I wanted to go at this from the idea of Egyptian redemption, if that makes any sense.

Thank you for your answers. They've helped me figure out what to do... see what comes out in the first draft then answer my own question.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited July 24, 2006).]

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
With The Ten Commandments I was speaking more about Moses questioning why God would allow his chose people to be in bondage. My own answer to that would be that people wind up in bondage due to the various effects of the fall- greed, stupidity, craving for security, fear of the unknown.

How long had Israel been in Egypt? I don't actually know the answer to that. Several hundred years? Over a thousand? I really don't know. I guess I have a vague recollection from somewhere that it was 14 (?) generations from Abraham to Moses. Take away Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph and we are talking 10 generations, or 200 ish years by the "Generation X" theory (Generation X is the 10th generation living in America. But do they mean since the revolution or since... uh, see, I basically don't know.) I view it as a sort of "dark age" for the tribes of Israel. However, serving the Egyptians and being fed their grain did allow them to multiply which was a key aspect of the covenant.

So I guess there was a purpose to it, if one accepts that. I don't know if it would be visible to one living in that time. When you are there in it, the notion that things have not always been as they are or will continue to be is less than obvious. A resource like the Nile delta is always going to be the object of hot competition, or ruled by an overwhelming foe. The only way to get access to its fruits was for Israel to serve there. If Israel had simply been given mastery of that land, they would have always been losing people in war. (this is pretty much stream of consciousness.)

So I guess I'd say Egypt had a critical role in the fulfilling of God's promise to Israel, but being a defender of the river and by cultivating their slave population. I mean, slaveholding is an ugly business, but again as a nation in that situation, if you are doing it you want them to multiply and be healthy enough to work.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

And, you know...don't want to give them any ideas that you're trying to wipe them out.

Because that always ends badly. Particularly with Jews

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.