Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Microbacterial Batteries

Author Topic: Microbacterial Batteries
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something for you hard-science types. Is there a story in this?

http://www.eponline.com/stevens/eppub.nsf/d3d5b4f938b22b6e8625670c006dbc58/5e00d704d7321d06862571ae00730681?OpenDocument

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

If nothing else, it's definitely something to add to a world.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always looking for stuff like that for my garbage-miners' future. I think the last time I was looking at it, I was thinking we would use robots to do the garbage mining and they would develop a collective A.I.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
That's almost mind-boggling. Nano-technology is a lot further along that one might believe.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh neat. On the other hand, I don't want these critters running around in my system wreaking havoc with my nervous system...
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Sso, like, could you paint your car in them and get some sort of energy happening?

Like nano-electric paint?

( Better than $1.50 a litre for petrol! How many litres to a gallon? Anyone? )

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Just less than four.

I don't know that there's really a story in it. It could be part of a story, but it doesn't strike me as really revolutionary at this point in time.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Having it as just part of the world is easy way to use the concept.
One possible way to use it though, is to have a story of an inventor who perfects the use of this power and how it effects the way society works. In this case, there might be a run on garbage dumps for the right metals, or the medium used to keep them going suddenly becomes in short supply because it is naturally a limited resource (Lactate comes from milk, consider a sudden run on milk to make the lactate) or there might be regular battery companies going out of business, or
This suddenly provides a near unlimited source of power because one is no longer bound by chemical reactions used in regular batteries. One fill your tanks with Lactoline fuel in your electric car and then can drive three hundred miles, just as you would with gasoline. five minutes max and you are on your way. The advantage and cleanliness of electricity, the ease of use of gasoline.

Then of course, one could do a story of how the system fails, an airborn virus spreads rapidly, killing the fuel cells. the society has to turn to other, older, fuel sources which were nearly abandoned years ago.

These are just a few ideas in a couple minutes of thought. I could come up with a lot more if I gave it some serious thought.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
To me it seems to start a whole 'unbalancing nature/mutant killer bacteria' disaster story, but maybe I read Stephen King's "Cell" too recently...
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Neal Stephenson's sci-fi novel The Diamond Age handles nanotech very well.

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited July 19, 2006).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...it's nifty, but it really isn't that revolutionary. I'm serious.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.