Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question for horror fiction readers/writers

Author Topic: Question for horror fiction readers/writers
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been bouncing around the germ of a short story idea that seems like it would be classified as a supernatural horror story. I've read a lot of horror-type novels, but relatively little short horror fiction so I bought a couple paperback collections and read through them.

My question is concerning endings. I noticed that many of the short stories ended badly for the protagonist, and many ended with a certain amount of mystery or ambiguity. I guess the idea is to leave the reader with the possibility that the evil is still lurking out there somewhere.

Are these types of endings typical/acceptable for the genre, or did I just happen to catch a couple collections that reflect the offbeat tastes of quirky editors?

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...yeah.

On both counts, even. Real horror afictionados are in it for the moment when the protagonist (or reader) stares terror in the eye and finally realizes that there is no escape. Most of us think of horror as being a rather offbeat taste. That's why the genre is called "Horror".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that they are both typical and acceptable. You were probably left with a real sense of, well, horror that all was still not right with the world. The horror genre is not for the faint of heart -- properly done, it taps into our deepest, darkest fears. Stories with happy endings may have scared you in the interim, but did they LEAVE you with that sense of gripping horror and fear?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you'd like to read about "horror," I'd recommend Stephen King's Danse Macabre.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Another collection worth reading is Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories. Some very ambiguous endings.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Barker's Books of Blood are great examples of horror short stories, IMHO.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever there's been a horror element in a story I've read, it's always been that moment when the MC sees what he's facing and realizes he is TOTALLY f---ed. That's one of things that made Mieville's "Perdido Street Station" really stand out for me. There was just no way you could see to beat the antagonist.

Now, in the end, the antagonist is sometimes beaten (I'm not going to say whether this happens in Perdido Street Station or not). But you don't see it coming. It's got to be an incredible long shot, and really put the characters in a near-death moment.

But yeah, horror, for me, is in the antagonists, and the monsters. The knowledge that you can't win. That it will just get worse, and worse.

Bloody marvellous stuff.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garp
Member # 2919

- posted      Profile for Garp           Edit/Delete Post 
If the anthologies you've read are any good, then you've been exposed to every sub-genre within the horror genre: supernatural, psychological, splatter-punk, etc.

Just keep in mind there's a vast difference between a Clive Barker story and a Robert Aickman story.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.