Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Time

Author Topic: Time
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is correct?

8:37
eight thirty-seven

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the 'official' rule is, or even if there is one. Personally, I would use both in different contexts. 8:37 seems better for a visual, such as this:
-----
The alarm clock blinked 8:30 in bright red numbers. She was late again.
-----

On the other hand, I would probably write it out if it was part of a character's thought process. For example:
-----
She pulled the covers back over her head. "It must be eight-thirty by now," she thought. "I'm going to be late again."
-----

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Spelling out numbers is never wrong.

Officially, spell out times unless they are followed by "A.M." or "P.M." in those cases, use the numeric representation. However, in the text of a work of fiction, I would never use "A.M." or "P.M.". I would use "in the morning" so I would write.

The alarm went off at eight-thirty-seven that morning.

In technical writing, use the numbers.

The alarm went off at 8:37 A.M.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine that it it would matter. Both communicate the same thing clearly.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spelling out numbers is never wrong.

Arthur still had one billion, nine-hundred eighty-two million, seven-hundred thirty-eight thousand, two-hundred seventy-three and twelve billion, five-hundred forty-nine million, eight-hundred seventy-two thousand, eight-hundred seventy-three one-hundred ninety-eight billion, two-hundred seventy-three million, eight-hundred twenty-seven thousand, nine-hundred eighteenths beans left on his plate.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is correct?
8:37
eight thirty-seven

Neither. The time stamp on top of your post reads 05:28 PM.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we even have these threads?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to "twenty-three to nine?"
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
Why do we even have these threads?

For you, Survivor, just for you.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out, eight thirty-seven. But I have seen eight o'clock or eight-thirty.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that it's a hard-and-fast rule, or applies to time or date in every case...but somewhere I picked up the custom of spelling numbers out in dialog. If the number is outside dialog, it'd be okay to use numbers ("8:37"). But inside dialog, it would be proper to spell it out ("Eight thirty-seven").
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure that you don't say "eight thiry-seven a.m. in the morning." I hear things like that every so often, and it really drives me crazy.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

Or things like "every morning at eight thirty-seven a.m."

<cringe>

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
"Every morning, just after noon."
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I have a character who says that kind of thing in dialogue...I hope that's ok.
Corky
Member # 2714

Christine, I guess it comes down to the basic question of "do you want to elicit from the reader the kind of reaction such things are likely to elicit?"

If the character is someone who has such sloppy word choice habits, and you are having that character say such things on purpose (to annoy some readers), then go for it.

When a writer says "I did it that way on purpose," after I have pointed out a problem I have with something in the manuscript, I try to make sure that the writer really wants me, as a reader, to react the way I have to the story.

But I don't think I'd have to worry about that on something you've written, Christine. From what I've seen here, I believe you actually do know what you're doing.

Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, the last question was rhetorical. I knew it would be fine in dialogue from a poorly spoken character.

The reason I brought this subject up in the first place actually has to do with the edits I got back on my novel. There are a great many mentions of time in the story, and sometimes the editor wanted it spelled out and sometimes written out numerically. I can't seem to figure a rhyme or reason to her preference in each situation. It almost seemed like whichever one I used, she wanted me to use the other one!

Oh well, I figure I'll just go with what she said because I don't really care that much.

Corky
Member # 2714

Ask a rhetorical question, get rhetoric for your answer.

I'd recommend that you pick the one she asks for most often and do that consistently throughout, except that some people associate consistency with hobgoblins and small minds....

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be out of line to ask the editor what gives?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
It almost seemed like whichever one I used, she wanted me to use the other one!

She's gotta justify her existence...I'm a little leery of giving in on every change demanded. Agatha Christie told a story of how, in her first published mystery, the editor (or copy editor) wanted "cocoa" spelled "coco." It mystified her no end...and, personally, I found it kind of jarring when I read the book (after reading the anecdote, I'm pretty sure).

But, hey, I wouldn't want to imperil a sale by being too picky about my word choice. If someone asks about it, do what Agatha Christie did---blame the editor.

Christine
Member # 1646

Blaming the editor is always a good plan.

To be honest, I don't really care that much but I am very curious as to what rules she is using on this one. I'm going to send her an e-amil and ask, I think -- couldn't hurt. I asked here first because I thought maybe there was a well-known grammar/style rule of which I was unaware.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.