Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Accent marks

Author Topic: Accent marks
Valtam2
Member # 3174

- posted      Profile for Valtam2   Email Valtam2         Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of y'all know how to do all the letters with accent marks in Word? I used to have a list with the codes around here somewhere, given to me by a highschool French teacher who said my handwriting sucked and wanted me to do my homework on a computer, but I've lost it. Any help would be appreciated.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Others will give you nifty keyboard tricks (only a few of which I have memorized) but the easiest way is to go to the Insert menu at the top and select Symbol. Everything you could possibly want is there, and it's pretty self-explanatory as to how it works.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Also in that Insert Symbols menu, there's access to those Shortcut keys, and you can define your own or just see what they are.

If it's for a name or another word you'll be using frequently, it might be easier to set up Word's AutoCorrect to change something easy to type into the properly formatted word or name. That's how I do with my character named DerLuminás. I type in DL and voilá. The proper name appears.

And for stuff outside of Word, there are Alt-Codes. Here's a list in alphabetical order.

http://www.wackycodes.com/codes.html

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I prefer autocorrect because I find :o- a lot easier to type than Ctrl-shift-o for ö.
Plus bcs u c I abbrev most common words and charr names and let ms word put the vwls in btn the consts for me. It's a pain when I use someone else's computer bcs my typing thn lks like a txt msg.

[This message has been edited by Aust Alien (edited August 24, 2006).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind having access to most of the stuff in Keyboard...but most of it I do without because it's such a roundabout way to get at it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MollieBryn
Member # 3728

- posted      Profile for MollieBryn   Email MollieBryn         Edit/Delete Post 
In Microsoft Word (XP version, I don't know if it's the same for others) you can click the format button on the toolbar and then AutoFormat. A new window will come up and you should click Options. This will take you to yet another new window. If you click on AutoCorrect, you can add words into a personal dictionary and the program will automatically correct them. Thus "rbabit" can automatically be changed to "rabbit" or the names of main characters can be automatically capitalized like "xena" into "Xena." Or, if you want accented words, add the regular word "facade" and then have it change to "façade" automatically. This can be done for any word you'd like.

Although, some programs do add accent marks automatically, and so you may decide this is more trouble than it's worth. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's awfully convenient.

[This message has been edited by MollieBryn (edited August 24, 2006).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.