Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Short story question

Author Topic: Short story question
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys.
My question is.... In a short story, say 3k-5k words, is it 'acceptable' to have 3 different veiw point characters, considering they are properly divided at breaks in the story, whose parts to play in the story are all important, but the change is necessary???

I know there are a lot of answers like, "it depends on the story, ect. ect." So, just pretend that the story allows for this, is it acceptable, or frowned upon by readers and publishers?

Opinions please....

thank you

-leaf

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda think it depends on the reader more than the story. I for one not only like reading and writing multiple-POV stories, I seek them out. I like getting to see more than one side of the story. 3 characters within the space of 3-5K might be tough to pull off well though. But I won't say you can't do it. I won't set limits on what you can achieve.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
If the story is good enough, it's not a problem. But that's true of just about anything.

There's a reason why you don't see many multiple-viewpoint stories in the 3k-5k range, and it's not the result of prejudice against multiple-viewpoint stories. It's because each additional POV character tends to require some "overhead" wordage to properly establish the characterization. The shorter the story, the more difficult it is to flesh out one character, let alone three, while still doing justice to the plot and setting. It's also because having multiple POV characters dilutes reader identification with the characters, and in such a short work it's difficult to make up for that by other means.

So the worry isn't that some editor is going to reject a good story because you have three POV characters. The worry is that because you have three POV characters, the story won't be good enough.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it. You just need to make the payoff of the story worth the cost of having three POV characters.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically.

Is having three POV characters actually making the story that much better? I've read a few stories where you don't even have a story at all unless you include multiple POV characters, so it isn't exactly unthinkable. If you need that many POV characters, such that cutting one or more of them simply isn't an option, then that's that.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.