Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story structure

Author Topic: Story structure
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I'vr really learned a lot from watching the beer cannon montage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zxlFoZhOC4&mode=related&search=

I've wondered a lot whether to plunge into exciting bits of the story. It's important to build gradually with foreshadowing.

Though I really wanted to see that vase break.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. You're right, that does teach a lot.

It's also hecka-funny.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a difference between foreshadowing that is keeping secrets from the reader and foreshadowing that is in keeping with the flavor of the story, but just not serving steak for the first course. I remember my first 5 course Italian meal. Bread, salad, soup, pasta, gelato. Actually, that may have been my only 5 course Italian meal. But I ate at a fine Chinese restaurant once as well. I think that was soup, dim sum, main course, and sherbet (with little scoops of sherbet in between courses). Progression is nice.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.