Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » MICE

Author Topic: MICE
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's been a while since we've talked about openings, implicit promises, and MICE, maybe not. Either way, I think it's time to talk about it again.

The opening of a story lays the groundwork for the middle and end. It give us an implicit promise of what the main action is about and that promise should be fulfilled in a satisfying ending. The promise will depend upon the type of story you are trying to tell:

Millieu: a story about a world like Gulliver's Travels...begins when the MC goes to the world and ends when he returns.

Idea: a story about a story question such as a murder mystery...begins when the MC tries to figure it out and ends when he does

Character: a story about a person who tries to make a change...begins when they realize they need to make the change (NOT when the unbearable situation starts) and ends when they either make the change or decide they were happy the way they were.

Event: a story about an event such as most epic fantasy...begins with the MC gets involved (not when the world goes bad) and ends when the world gets set to right.

Obviously, stories can overlap but it is best if you can identify the strongest thread of the story and use that to lay the groundwork for the beginning and end. Usually, you want all the subplots to be tied up before the one you identify as "main" OR at the same time OR just a teensy tinsy bit afterward. (You don't want to drag out the ending).

There are always many complaints about the first 13 lines and how you're supposed to tell everything in those 13 lines. Well, you don't. You decide what type of story it is, find the beginning, and start:

M -- "When he opened the door, he saw a swirling vortex in place of the master bath."

I -- "Janet had been lying dead in the snow for 15 hours before anyone found her."

C -- "My mom got drunk with her boyfriend last night instead of taking me out for my birthday."

E -- "When The Druit laid eyes on Thom, he knew he had finally found the one he sought, the one who could save the world."

Personally, I've always found event stories to be the hardest to open (obviously, from my example). They can take a little more building, but there should still be some sense of what is going on as soon as possible. In a novel, within 3 pages, in a short story, within 13 lines.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your list with examples. Maybe I should first off, when I'm critiquing here, try to identify the opening as one of the MICE.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reminder. I think it helps. Maybe.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Christine. That was the best explanation of MICE I've seen on this board yet. I never quite understood it until now (honestly). Yeah, I know, go read the book, but I honestly haven't had time, between work, arranging a wedding, condo hunting and trying to write. Reading about writing has, sadly, been forced to the bottom of my list lately. I think that your explanation might even help keep me on track while writing my current WIP.

Again, thank you.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll bite. What book?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of OSC's books on writing discuss MICE. I personally prefer the discussion in HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY because he approaches MICE structurally, and that helps more with beginnings and endings. (The other book is CHARACTER AND VIEWPOINT, by the way.)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.