Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Unblocked!

Author Topic: Unblocked!
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it! I am unblocked. Ever since September when I finished my last novel rough draft I have been unable to move forward and tackle another story. Well, a little bit of honest feedback and a decision to change my approach and now I'm back in the game!

At the moment, I am doing a rewrite of a rough draft I wrote several years ago. I've always heard that when you rewrite, you should put up the old version and write fresh. Well, as there are many different writers so there are many different methods. I have chosen, instead, to have the old draft nearby and reference it as I rewrite. I'm finding that the method works much better for me because there was a lot to like in the old version and I was struggling to capture that part while fixing the rest.

Well, I'm off to continue working. Just wanted to share.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Christine!

I'm about to rewrite an old story too, but I'm going to try the "don't even look at it" method so I don't use the old story as a crutch. Which is kind of scary and kind of frustrating...either way, it ought to be an interesting experiment.

Good luck with yours!

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tackling the same thing for almost 8 months now, but since I've created a world which I did on a whim, I've gone from a slight trickle to a flowing stream. Hopefully soon I'll be the raging river I once was, being able to write 8-9k words a day

Anyways, congratulations Christine!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
On my own recent experiences with the dreaded W-----'s B---k...I had it, or so I thought, for a couple of years...I broke it by returning to Square One, my old Smith Corona portable typewriter, working the old fashioned way for rough draft, then rewriting the result later. I managed to spit out three stories that way.

And then this summer the floodgates opened---fifty thousand words from August to October. It's flowed to a trickle since then---but is still more than I was putting out before that.

Writer's block comes and goes, I guess.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.