Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Five People you Meet in El Cerrito

Author Topic: The Five People you Meet in El Cerrito
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Grandpa had died without too much warning, but he happened to be in the hospital at the time so it wasn't scary to hang out in his apartment. I had kind of feared we would spend the whole 3 days cleaning the apartment, and that's actually what happened but it turned into a cross between Antiques Roadshow and Borat.

As I read through the Christmas letters I had written him in years past, I realized something about myself. I really do have a difficult time finishing what I start. It was something my husband accused me of many years ago, and now and then couples in movies will hurl that at one another.

During the funeral I pondered that with Grandfather's passing, my father stood next on the precipice. I realized that I no longer fear death because of the darkness and unknown. I respect death because it will mark the end of my opportunity to serve the living. Beneath the reaper's hood is a vigorous bearded guy with a stopwatch saying "carpe diem, the frost is coming!"

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's kinda a cool image to add to my shinigami collection.

I'm just the opposite, I have a hard time starting something I don't feel confident of finishing. That doesn't mean that I don't push myself to do it pretty often

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
This reads like a first 13. Perhaps you should start your memoirs with it.
I also feel the reaper staring me in the face (last year was rife with funerals) But I'm still in the deer in the headlights mode and can't get myself to move. (I hope it's just two motorcycles.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Franc Li,

For what its worth, I like what you write -- dude.

(Added the dude so it didn't sound weird.)

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably will write about the 5 years that marked the passing of all 4 of my grandparents someday. Of course, it doesn't make a lot of sense right now. My 12-step recovery memoir was sort of about the first 3, but I didn't know at the time that number 4 was about to go. Also, I kind of turned the second death into someone else's funeral that made more sense in terms of the compulsive behavior I was recovering from. (No, not my mother, someone who actually is dead.)
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.