Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Are Books Going The Way Of The Dinosaur? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are Books Going The Way Of The Dinosaur?
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
If I knew what 'facetious' meant I might agree. I could look it up in like five seconds, but I'm tired

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I looked it up. Flippant came up as a synonym. I understand. Now I'm going to bed. Good night

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a certain beauty in a wild ecology, at least when you have no personal investment in any particular outcome for it. I think that's why I could never get on board with environmentalism. Environmentalists, by virtue of their passion for "nature", have forgotten what makes nature beautiful. Often they're the sort of people who never found nature all that attractive from the beginning.

An old growth forest has that wild beauty, to be sure. But so do other wild things.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Well, none of this will matter when the aliens come to earth and realize that trees, not humans, are the sentient species. I for one bow to our new leafy overlords.

Matt

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Then let’s get rid of the trees then and the aliens will know that we are the sentient species. I’ll do it for free if you get me enough demo I need to practice tree charges anyway.
Why do we really need trees any way? 95% of the air we breathe comes from the plants in the oceans. I think we can do with 5% less air anyway.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I couldn't agree with you more, if I understand you correctly. I also believe that there is more to beauty than the way something looks, especially when it comes to wild places.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Oxygen is created by plants in the ocean (most of it anyway). Air is filtered by trees. So, it doesn't matter if we have all this oxygen if we're choking on carbon dioxide.

Matt

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Matt. What I said is statistically correct, however, like franc li implied, I'm not actually disadvocating recycling. It's a great thing. But it isn't as great as we think.

As I study economics I am trained to look at the world's causes-and-events in abnormal and insightful ways, often counter-intuitive ways. People wouldn't expect recycling to reduce the number of trees or seatbelts to cause accidents, but an economist could explain these facts easily.

The main thing I was saying, is that a better solution to disappearing trees is property-rights. Ownership is a much more powerful tool at preserving something than probably any other method, including massive conservation efforts.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

It's interesting to me that we have these huge nature preserves where no development or tree harvesting is allowed. Then, because of the build up of brush and overgrowth of trees, when a fire (a natural, cleansing, process) comes along it burns so hot that trees can't grow for many years. If paper companies were allowed to go in and thin the forest, it would keep the forest healthy. But people think nature is in complete equilibrium and that humans are the problem. Yes, humans cause problems, but nature is not in equilibrium. Species of plant and animal are always trying to kill each other off, and sometimes they succeed with terrible consequences. Go read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. Excellent novel that talks about these things.

Matt

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the theory is that stamping out the smaller fires is what's making the big fires so intense. I have reservations about it, but see the point.

I should really pick up Crichton's State of Fear---it seems to address so many things I'm interested in, and has gotten favorable comment in various things I read. Besides, I've liked some of his stuff ("Westworld," "A Case of Need," and "The Andromeda Strain" come to mind), but haven't cared for everything he wrote / directed / created ("ER" comes to mind in this context---my mother, who actually worked in an ER at one time, says it's not realistic. I can only presume she would know.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I work in an ER now. The show is crap. But it gets good ratings. I know a nurse that wears a shirt that says: "ER, you watch it on TV, we live it". If half of what happens on ER happened on an even semi-regular basis you wouldn't be able to get anyone to work in the department. In fact, you wouldn't get any patients to go there either. Most patients are there for non-emergency stuff (sore throat, back pain, drug seekers). Gunshot victims are rarely exciting (guy brought in last night with gunshot to the chest is wheeled in, says, "my chest hurts", paramedic replies, "yeah, you got shot in the chest", patient replies, "oh". He was fine.) The most exciting thing we get is someone so drunk they yell for hours. Those people help the time go by.

Matt

Zero
Member # 3619

hahaha I am constantly entertained by those people if I choose to take public transportation. What do you do in the ER Matt?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I'm an admitting rep (patient registration).

Matt

Zero
Member # 3619

That's a cool gig, how'd you land that?
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Just an entry level position until I can start getting paid for my writing. So I could be there a while.

Matt

Zero
Member # 3619

Sounds more fun than custodial or waiting tables, or making fries at Burker King.
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I've made fries at Burger King. Or, more appropriately, I've taken the fries that are shipped to Burger King, put them in hot grease, and pulled them out again. Yes, my current job is more fun than that.

Matt

Zero
Member # 3619

Wow. Not bad for a shot completely in the dark.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I went from flipping burgers to flipping letters. One of the main selling points was that I didn't have to work with hot grease. If Burger King and Wendys had paid better, I might've stayed longer at it---but I stayed long enough.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if we were to cut down more trees we could make more French fries holder things,
Then we grow a lot of cotton just to print more money. Problem solved.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

haha printing more money doesn't = more wealth
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Printing more money equals more wealth if you only give it to me.

Matt

Zero
Member # 3619

haha, well, I guess in the most relative sense it could mean more for you and less for everyone else, I guess it depends how much money we're talking about. If we hyper-inflate the economy by giving you $10,0000 Trillion dollars, the money would be valueless before you could get it to the bank and collect interest on it.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

You may have all the money but I will have all the GUNS and the WORLD.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS:
What dose this have to do with books going extinct?

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
$10,0000 Trillion dollars

sheesh....that's officially a bazillion dollars.
What are they teaching you kids in economics class these days?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

What does this have to do with books going extinct? If we print too much money there will be no more paper left for books (which brings us back to the tree part of this thread).

Matt

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

They are apparently teaching us how to hyper inflate the economy.
Money is made from cotton books are made from trees.
No trees no books, no cotton no money and clothes and cotton goods.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

A world void of trees is a place I would love to live rather rule over. Sort of like Ellesmere Island only not as cold. Books could be found on line and all “paper work” would be on computers. Money would be handled electronically. Clothes would be made of synthetic material. The government will have power to enforce all laws with out annoying an annoying court system to deal with.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Zero
Member # 3619

Yeah I was talking about an economy so ridiculously hyper-inflated that money itself had become valueless.
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
sheesh....that's officially a bazillion dollars.
What are they teaching you kids in economics class these days?

They also teach us that if we want to someday have that much money... we're in the wrong department.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited March 03, 2007).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I don't know about books, but this topic is going the way of the dinosaur.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.