Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » unrelated question

Author Topic: unrelated question
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this isn't technically about writing, but I didn't know where else to ask.

Can we have a social forum as part of the writer's group?

I know it sounds like a stupid question because we're here to develop as writers, and there are other places, I assume, designed for discussing politics and culture, etc.

However, my case for such a thing here is built strictly on this.

The people here, characters, if you will, I have grown to know and develop opinions of. That is why if I asked Survivor what his opinion of the Iraq War was, of ir I asked Matt how he found about Hatrack in the first place, it would have a lot more meaning then if I asked some random internet person in general on some other forum I am not a participant of.

Just curious.
Zero

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Those discussions usually happen in this (Open Discussions About Writing) forum. Usually the question has to do about writing in one way or another. If you want to ask one person a specific question that you think is outside the realm of this board, you can always e-mail them.

Matt

PS: I found this forum when I got really involved in OSC's work. I read "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" before I read Ender's Game. I looked for OSC's website and went through all the Writing Lessons. It was months before I saw the Writing Workshops link next to that.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll try to answer your questions, as I perceive you to have asked them.

1--Can we have a social forum as part of the writer's group?

This really is a forum for writing, but if you want to have nonwriting, more social conversations, I would suggest that you see if the person you are interested in conversing with has a "Next, Please Introduce Yourself" topic. (Of course, you may have to ask the website software to show you all of the topics if that person has been around as long as Survivor has.)

If that person has one, you may post your questions and comments there. If that person doesn't have one, you may post your questions or comments in your own "Next, Please Introduce Yourself" topic (and if you don't have one, you can start one, even though it might be a bit late for that) and hope the person notices (or you can email them to alert them of your question).

2--asking opinions on nonwriting subjects (such as the Iraq War).

Please try to avoid discussions of politics here. As RMatthewWare has said, if you want to ask one person a specific question, especially about something potentially inflammatory (like politics), please ask them in email.

The only discussions of politics and religion (and other such potentially controversial subjects) that are allowed here are those that can be connected to a particular writing question you may have. If it doesn't relate to writing, we'd really prefer that you discuss it elsewhere.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I might interject something here... if you step back, and take a wider view of this entire site, you'll be reminded that the writer's forum is only a small corner of OSC's entire website. He HAS a social forum section on this website. I rarely frequent that side of the board, because it seems to me to be a lot of hot-headed kids who post there (perhaps a misjudgment; perhaps not). But it DOES exist. I don't know that OSC owes us the bandwidth to include a separate social forum for a small portion of the users on his website?

But, all that said, I appreciate your sentiment. There seems to be a much higher level of courtesy and diplomacy and honest try-to-help spirit on this side of things. I've enjoyed the friendships I've been developing through my Hatrack participation.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Elan,

I have heard before that this otherside exists. You say hotheads live there, and kids. To me that's a waste of time, I appreciate the opinions and discussion of members of this board here. I would have no interest in socializing with anyone on any of the other boards.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
The main Hatrack culture section is an amazing forum, full of amazing people, so I suggest you check it out.

As for this place, it would be nice to have a little corner for reviewing books and movies.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...it would be nice to have a little corner for reviewing books and movies.

That's kind of what "Discussing Published Hooks & Books" is, Tara. If you'd like to review a book or movie, please feel free to post your review there.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here’s my humble opinion on social forums I’ve seen in other online workshops. They are fashioned by a few who know each other by name and enjoy familiar friendly banter. They share intimacies and humor that bring them even closer, and by doing so, fall into a circle of friends that eventually become a mutually exclusive clique. Newbies and others outside the circle feel excluded and they often kowtow to get in, or just don’t bother.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I've enjoyed political bantering, I get annoyed at sloppy reasoning and misstated facts. And I'm likely to express my anger, and get angry responses back.

One of the things that drove me away from the Internet Fan Fiction community I used to hang out at was the constant political debate---and the feeling it was both participated in and controlled by interested parties. (Would you enjoy reading a political debate if one of the moderators continually threatened to delete those that took contrary position to hers? I was so threatened.)

Besides, really, this particular set of forums (fora?) are for discussing writing, science fiction and fantasy writing, the art and practice thereof, and things that impinge on those. Politics, to a certain extent, does come up, but there are limits. And we all agreed to respect them.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for OMAGAOFTHEALPHA   Email OMAGAOFTHEALPHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Were is the link to the social forum I cant find it.?
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

The link to the social forum on Hatrack is here:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/index.shtml

OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for OMAGAOFTHEALPHA   Email OMAGAOFTHEALPHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool will be there.

If you don’t want me here it is fine I shall leave. I have no hard feelings. I gust thought that Rommel could have a hand.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

You and Rommel are both welcome as long as you keep your comments on writing.

Please (you and Rommel both) read (if you haven't already, and reread if you have), the topics in the "Please Read Here First" area.

Also, please reread Hatrack River Writers Workshop introduction page at

http://www.hatrack.com/writers/index.shtml

and the registration page "Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers" at

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

so that you are clear on what we expect here.

OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

Will do. Printed it out and stapled it to my forehead. And all over my work area.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you I will be there as well, if I have time.
OMAGA why would do that that would hurt like all he!! Trust me I did it once if was not fun.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Stapling to foreheads isn't necessary.

Reading and following is.

Thank you.

OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

It isn’t?
Oh in that case I can remove it.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn’t it clear when I said “why would do that that would hurt like all he!! Trust me I did it once if was not fun.”
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.