Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dreaded frags

Author Topic: Dreaded frags
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone suggest tips for recognizing sentence fragments before my computer grammar editor does? Not the obvious short sentences, like “The rain on my garden” -- but long wordy sentences used as follow up to other long sentences. For example, I incorrectly added the following frag after a casual dating introduction:
“Bowling a couple of lines at the local alley, sharing a box of popcorn in the movies, and riding a carousel in the park with the little kids just for laughs.”

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is doing these things? This is why the sentence isn't complete.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Sentence Fragments are not a bad thing when used right. Not everything you put in a story needs to be a complete sentence.

Your word processor frequently sees words in the wrong state. You might be using a Proper Name that it doesnt recognize as a subject or object or your verb might not be a word we see used as a verb frequently.

Basically, if your work processor flags something as a fragment. Read it through and if you think its a sentence, ignore the grammar checker.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
In that last example, you do need to to have a subject.

Sentence Fragments are not always a bad thing.

Run on Sentence Fragments are an atrocity and require very special handling.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that the best remedies for problems I know that I have are (a) a fresh pair of eyes, ideally not mine, and (b) doing a separate reading specifically for the problem. That may entail a lot of re-reading, but I find that I'm actually more efficient in the long haul because each reading is very focused. In your case, you'd read each sentence to specifically identify its subject and main verb.

Something that might help here -- not speaking from personal experience now -- is to start at the end of the story, reading the last sentence first and working your way to the first. (In other words, the story is read backwards by sentence, but each individual sentence is read normally.) This is supposed to force each sentence out of the context you'd normally see it in, which makes you analyze each sentence on its own merits. In this case, that means eliminating the implied subject that you're leaving out of the fragments.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.