Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Multiple submissions to contests?

Author Topic: Multiple submissions to contests?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be considered a no-no, right? I'm debating entering the WOTF one, as well as the one posted in the Markets section on this board that has an April 7 deadline. It would not be appropriate to submit the same story to both, correct? I don't think I could have two stories ready in time (I might try, though), so I may just have to choose one contest to enter. 'Course, I need to get my current story finished and reviewed and edited and polished first.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Check and see if the rules of either contest permit or forbid it.

I've generally avoid multiple submissions---early imprinting, and lack of access to a copier (or a computer which could make multiple copies) prevented me from doing it. I've looked long and hard at "the rules of submission" of late, and, though I see a lot of their "rules" that make no sense from my point of view, I'd say in this case, stick to one submission at a time. I don't think it would increase your chance of acceptance.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my nitpicking, but when I see "multiple submissions" I think more than one story at a time submitted to the same market.

I call what you're talking about (the same story submitted to more than one market at a time) "simultaneous submission."

I know some publishers, writers, and editors don't make those distinctions, but when they do, and you don't, it can get you into trouble.

That said, as long as the contest doesn't include publication as one of the prizes, you can send your entry to that contest and to one that does include publication. If you have a bunch of contests, none of which include publication as one of the prizes, you can send the same story to all of them.

Writers of the Future does include publication, but in the past they have treated that separately from the actual prizes, and there have been winners who have chosen not to accept the publication part of the prize because they were able to get the story published elsewhere. I don't know if that has changed, but I suspect that first judge K. D. Wentworth could tell you. She talks about the contest on sff.net though I'm not exactly certain where. I hope to have that information posted in the "WOTF, Q107" topic here .

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "simultaneous submission" is really the proper way to say it...as for sending more than one story to a market, I've done that, back when I was more prolific. Usually one-to-an-envelope, though really early on in my career I did bundle together three or four of them at once. I can't say it decreased my chances of acceptance---from my viewpoint now, they were all uniformly awful.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, you are again showing your age.

What is an envelope?

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Something you push against.
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something you push against.

LOL.

Took me a min to get that, but when I did, milk came out my nose. I wasn't drinking milk--it was that funny.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the place to ask Writers of the Future first judge K. D. Wentworth about simultaneous submissions is here .

If you don't want to ask, I can.

Edited to add: I checked through the whole topic and found that the question had been discussed last October, starting with "Article 3589." I hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 28, 2007).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much. I was pretty sure of the answer, thanks for the clarification on terminology.

If only I could figure out the right ENDING to my story, I might make the WOTF deadline...sigh.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.