Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » People who Should Be Shot

Author Topic: People who Should Be Shot
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine sent me an email in which he, without warning, referenced a spoiler in the NY Times review of Deathly Hallows. This friend is famous for being the jerk who inadvertently spoils the endings of books and movies. He never seems to do it on purpose, and he can't seem to get through his head that this behavior truly upsets people.

He's a close friend, but the next time I see him, there will be retribution.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
J,

Under the circumstances, knowing the person the way you do, I would have ignored the email.

Fool me once ...

However, now that the damage is done, please share the details of the retribution after it happens. I dislike people who take enjoyment from people just for the sake of doing it.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you're saying, but the subject line of the email was about a totally different, non-literary topic that we had been discussing earlier this week. The spoiler came in out of nowhere.

I will certainly share the details once I've repaid him.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate those sort of things. Out of nowhere spoilers, life sucks worse that way.

I walked into work on the second day of Transformers being released at the cinema as I was finishing early I was able to go see it, two people were talking about what happened, like they had deliberately set up to talk about it as I left work. I have hated those two people since then with a passion!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Avoid google news then, there are spoilers in the flipping headlines...yeesh.

Do the guys that write these things think everyone took the day off and read the book last night and today?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
HuntGod, I did that exact thing...
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of several administrators of a far-different discussion forum. It's been flooded with comments about the book. Too many of those have just this sort of spoiler.

"The book was soooo good. It made me cry when ... died."

We turned moderation on. Every message has to be approved before posting. I feel like we're figuratively shooting them by rejecting their posts.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in St. Louis to see The Lion King on stage. The night before we picked up the book. It took me until Monday to read finish it. I kept the TV's off, the radio off, and I mainly stayed off the internet because I knew some jerk would blow the ending for me. I remember when I read Book 5 someone blew the ending before I could finish it. I hate those people. So, I just made sure I avoided any situation where someone might spoil the end.

But now the Potter phenomenon is over. All the books are out. So, until the next phenomenon of books that everyone has to read, I'm safe.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.