Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submission Quandry

Author Topic: Submission Quandry
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little stumped. I got an e-mail response from an agent who wants to see 30 pages of hard copy, which is good, of course, but he adds that he doesn't consider simultaneous submissions. I've been keeping about ten queries out at a time, matching each rejection with a new outgoing query, and I've avoided agents who don't accept simultaneous submissions. This particular agent didn't stipulate against them, as far as my research showed.

I don't feel I can ignore his statement about simultaneous submissions, but I also don't want to screw up a chance to send the material to him. With a number of agents promising not to respond unless they're interested, it's not even feasable to wait till everything is accounted for--a couple queries have been out since April and may never be replied to.

So, I'll have to be honest, of course, but I'm debating whether to send a separate e-mail regarding the simultaneous submission issue, or send the 30 pages with a letter that addresses the issue. I'm tending to the latter.

Anyone else run into this?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 02, 2007).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Is he asking for an exclusive read on a partial? I've never heard of such a thing, but there are a lot of lousy agents out there, so who knows.

If an agent asks for an exclusive, it's usually with a promise to read and get back to you quickly--as in 2-3 weeks on a full manuscript. With a partial it should only take him a day or two. If they're expecting you to sit idle for months, find another agent.

I wouldn't query ANY agent that didn't accept simultaneous submissions.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the best thing to do in this situation, though, would be to allow him to have the pages, but on a short term, like 2 weeks. If your query is already out there, there's not a lot you can do about that, but you can give him a short term exclusivity on whatever chapters you do send to him.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of agents don't execept simultaneous submissions so that's not an indication of the caliber of the agent. I also understand it from thier perspective. Why spend the time/energy getting involved with the story and writer if someone else may take the contract? Agents only get paid when they sell something.

Ask him what the turn around time is and tell him that there are still queries pending on the story. If he wants an exclusive, he's pretty serious about what he's already seen. Don't turn away from a request to review a partial even if that means putting the resending of queries on hold. Afterall, this could be the agent that picks it up so why waste your time and the other agent's time until this one responds?

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so far you only have query letters out there? If that's true, then, as I understand it, so far you don't have any submissions out there--just requests to send a submission. Certainly ask for (or give him) a time frame on how quickly he should be able to respond to that exclusive partial, but otherwise I don't see that you have a problem that needs to be discussed with him. No one else is looking at partials or fulls that might get a contract to you sooner than him, which I think is what the concern is about. If he's serious, he'll be willing to look at the partial fairly quickly and tell you one way or the other.

(Note: I agree with kings_falcon that you might want to hold off sending out more queries until he responds.)

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send as many queries out at one time as you want to. That's the great thing about queries.

Now, when one of the agents ask for the manuscript, they can ask for whatever they want.

I had an agent ask for the full manuscript a week ago. The request had this line in it:

quote:
If possible, (agent's name) would prefer to consider your work on an exclusive basis.

So, I still have 20-30 queries out that haven't been responded to. So, this is the decision I made. I can't retract the queries, and I wouldn't if I could. There's no guarantee that this agent will want to represent me. So, what I've decided is to stop sending out additional queries, and if another agent wants the script, I'll just hold out until I hear from the first agent (assuming the current agent doesn't take more than a month).

Agents and publishers understand how things work. They know that you're not querying them exclusively. Now, if you're sending out your manuscript to publishers, then yes, they expect to have an exclusive look.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Jamie, after re-reading -- and re-reading -- the e-mail, I'm wondering if he's simply saying that if he requests the full manuscript after viewing the partial, then he expects to have an exclusive look. Either that or, from this point, he expects an exclusive even to the partial insofar as I shouldn't send partials or complete material to any other agent who responds favorably till he makes his decision.

quote:
No one else is looking at partials or fulls that might get a contract to you sooner than him, which I think is what the concern is about.

Actually, Debbie, several agents do have partials as per their writer's guidelines.

But, I may be over-thinking this. Like RMatthew said, the publishing industry knows how it works. I'll give the fellow as much of an exclusive as is reasonable.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Also I'd highly suggest taking a gander at JamieFord's website. He offers good advice that is generally common knowledge such as ponying up the 20/month for Publisher's Marketplace to check under your agent's hood.

If you think this person who is asking for an exclusive is a decent/successful agent then go for it but just because this agent is the first one to get back to you don't settle just based on speed of response.

Getting an agent is a business decision that should be weighed as heavily as buying a car if not a house.

Always know what you're getting and remember TANSTAAFL

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 02, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all big on calling or emailing agents or publishers, but on this one I would politely do one or the other and ask for clarification. I have always found in this kind of situation, they find it business-like if you do since it shows that you are careful. Just say I wanted to clarify exactly what you are requesting. They'll no doubt do so. I personally wouldn't make an assumption or guess on what they mean. Then once you are sure (and assuming you know the agent has a good standing) decide what to do.

Edit: I currently have a novel on an invited resubmit to a publisher and am making a list of agents to query if (as seems very possible) I get a contract. I have already checked on the agents I'm putting on my list, and I think this is a good idea myself.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited August 02, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.