Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Groups, Herds, Collections

Author Topic: Groups, Herds, Collections
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone suggest some things such as animals or whatever, that are always seen in or associated with a group.

Maybe seeing a single swan or goose would be odd since they are most always with a flock. I guess a sheep would be another.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Ravens alone are significant in some cultures but too are ravens in rooks.

Lone wolves are oddities but lone coyotes/foxes (or simply pairs) are not.

Cattle are herd animals that group together as are their wilder cousins such as wildebeasts and water buffalo.

However, never confuse a water buffalo and a cape buffalo.

seagulls and most other seabirds are usaully found in groups but are not afraid of being alone.

Elephants are herd animals until they get too old to be just another youngster and get tossed out and go rogue (though this usually happens to males) likewise when old males get tossed out they go "rogue."

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
It would help to have some context for why you're asking. Someone else posted another topic today where I had the same question - well, huh, I don't know off top of my head, but give me a little more info and maybe I can help you with something...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

Bsaically exact along the lines of what Matt Lust was doing.

I'm just looking for things that are always associated with a group.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Crumple Horned Snorkacks are herd creatures as well... :-P

Matt pretty much pegged it, wolves, ravens, lions, hyenas...there are plenty of pack animals out there where the lone version is rare or uncommon.

Is this for a literary allusion or what?

Are you looking for a very uncommon example? i.e. don't want to use the common reference, of "herd of buffalo" or "murder of ravens"?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

Anything really and it doesn't even have to be animals.

I'm just looking for ideas for things that are associated with a group so if one were to see one of these animals/things alone, one would know it is out of place.

I suppose leaves are part of a group as well.

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Hard to think of wildebeest being in anything but a group. One animal in particular comes to mind - flamingos - it's hard to imagine a single flamingo standing in a lake.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ants. Penguins. Swallows. Barnacles. Weeds.

In caves or trees, bats nest in colonies, never alone, methinks.

Several species of birds, jays for example, fly around in pairs, I believe. If you see one adult, the other half of the pair will usually be close by, unless they're nest building or feeding young.

Do tourists count as animals?

Just a thought,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget:

Trekkies
Preppies
Wink Martindale fans

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
crayons
loose change

though I suppose you are looking for something with a bit stronger imagery. So, how about a school of fish? If anyone has seen Deep Blue, they can attest to the pure unity of such a group. At times they all look like a single animal.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a group for Wink Martindale fans! (ok, I don't know who that is.)

Ants
Prairie Dogs
Tadpoles
Amish
Coral
Quaking Aspen Trees
Fleas/Lice
Weird looking Children
Hatrackers
Books
Letters
Things in a list
Lawyers (if you see on there are sure to be three more waiting to pounce)
Bats
Cereal
Certain monkeys
Wild horses
Atoms
Astronomers (watch out for the ones with microscopes)

Sorry I'm having fun, and when I'm having fun it usually means others are not so I'll end it with the most important of the list: Waffles.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 4783

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
tires are ussualy in groups, so are rock stars.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose groupers are normally in schools, even though they learn very little there...

Are you looking for a particular mood?

• A baby zebra might normally be in a herd, and seeing one alone might make me think of a helpless creature in danger (I'd feel protective).
  • A wild dog might normally be in a pack, and seeing one alone might make me think of rabies (I'd feel threatened).
  • A person is normally in a society, and seeing one alone might make me feel lonely.
  • A rhinoceros might normally be in a group, and seeing a Lone Rhinoceros might make me think of Adrian Belew.

What are you looking for?

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
geez, you guys! Horses, elk, deer. Mice, Moose. heard of a herd of moose? and Pant legs.

also, coin and stamp collections, popcorn and potato chips and cheerios. Grapes. Popsicle twins. Human twins. teenage girls.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically non-conformist tend to group up...

Given your post your actually looking for things that would seem out of place solo, BECAUSE they are normally associated as a herd or group animal.

The guy who paints himself for Football games...
The guy dressed like a Klingon...
One sock...
One hotdog bun...

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The guy who paints himself for Football games...

Great one!

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on why they congregate in large groups.
Being alone means different things in each case.

Some congregate for protection, others for effectiveness in hunting and there are many other reasons.

A lone wolf, would indicate (IMO) one that is probably a rogue, rejected, desperate and ravenous.

A lone sardine, on the other hand, represents lunch.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 12, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

goats and sheep (goats are better).
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
herd of alpaca
colony of bats
bed of clams
culture of bacteria
colony of merekats
family of otters
swarm of mosquito
coterie of prarie dogs
school of dolphins
cloud of flies
colony of gulls

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

oh, you're good!
hoptoad
Member # 2145

murder of crows
parliament of owls

they are cool, i think.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
rooks also come in parliaments, and ravens can come in an unkindness.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I think the idea of a 'parliament' of owls or rooks or whatever, came from the belief that they somehow got together for the purpose of passing judgement on the souls of the dead. (ie: parley : to discuss).

So perhaps its not always a 'parliament'. Maybe it is only a 'parliament' when someone has recently died.

You can also have a 'building' or a 'clamour'of rooks.

BTW: A leap of leopards is cool too.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 13, 2007).]

mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites has always been an ostentation of peacocks. I especially like it because it fits a group of teenagers, too.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.